Brewer Fanatic

Midwest League contacts/Documentary idea

jaybird2001wi

Maybe a few of you can help me with this. I am interested in doing a project or a documentary of some type on the lifestyle of a Minor Leaguer. I am not sure if this project has ever been done before, but I have thought about contacting some Midwest League teams and inquire if I could "shadow" the team for a two-month period during the 2009 season. My idea or premise of this project would be to live the same way the low level minor leaguers do (host family living, bus trips, etc.). I may contact SABR and ask if I could piggyback with someone from the Field of Dreams Chapter in Iowa where the majority of the Midwest League teams are located.

If anyone could be of help to the following outline I have in my mind, let me know:

Topic: Midwest League

1) Lifestyle

a. Living with a host family

b. Meals on the road

c. Cultural aspects of each Midwest League city

2) History

a. Following of some diehard fans that have followed the team from its inception

b. Stadium/Field History

c. Legendary players passing through each team (ie, Molitor with Burlington, etc.)

3) Community

a. Local businesses which cater to the players of each team

b. Marketing aspects

c. Mass transit

What I plan on doing: I will basically leave my vehicle behind in my hometown and travel with a team willing to show its hospitality toward me. Live with a host family and basically sit in the dugout and take notes of the surrounding areas of each city. I will also leave behind most of my money and live life to the closest ideal of what a Minor Leaguer goes through during the course of a season.

Only hole I see in that is the "living with a host family" aspect. Players above rookie league, don't live with host families. They just "interact" with the host families to help them get settled in the new town and to assist them as the season goes along. I have been part of the host family program here in WV, and think your entire idea is EXTREMELY good! Something I had thought about submitting a story to MILB.com about my interactions here with the players...this year Rob Bryson was one of our players, and the way the whole CC Sabathia trade affected him was a truly incredible story that I don't think people realize. Go for it, and if I can offer you any insight or assistance, just let me know!

Actually, many teams above rookie ball have host families. West Virginia needs to stop calling that a host family program, its a booster club. The documentary idea is a neat concept, but it will be difficult to get a minor league team and it's parent club to go along with it. Plus, I'm not sure people are ready for the "real" life of a minor leaguer.

Do you have any experience in film making?Do you have a cinematographer? Who is going to finance the film? Are you going to shoot on film or digital? What kind of film stock?

The simple cost of covering basic living expenses and shooting costs alone will be quite expensive for a two month period. Well into the tens of thousands of dollars at bare bones prices. Do you have that kind of financing available?

The St. Paul Saints had a film crew follow the team around the season that Darryl Strawberry played for them. The name of the series escapes me at the moment but it was broadcast on FX network, of all places. Also, the Indianapolis Indians did an excellent piece a few years back called "A Player to be Named Later" that followed the team, with maybe a little more of a focus on Marcos Scutaro.

I'm always up for another one of these type documentaries (I'm a sucker for the "Hard Knocks" series on HBO), but as Kat mentioned, it could really get pricey to produce. Best of luck to you!

Archived