Brewer Fanatic

Is "Wild Card Champions" worthy of hanging a banner at Miller Park?

lcbj68c

http://photos-e.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-snc1/v832/152/108/1404434242/n1404434242_140556_6937.jpg

Based on this photo I took last fall (first pitch of NLDS game 3), I think the 1982 banner/sign thingy is unchanged and the object to the left is part of the steelwork.

I'm a wee bit jealous of those teachers for getting to hang out at Miller Park today, though.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had numerous WS champions that arrived there via the wildcard, so I definately think its worthy of recognition. That, and we won more playoff games than the Cubs.

What have other teams done for this accomplishment?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard this morning that the banner has been hung. "2008 Wild Card" with beige background. Sounded as it was hung on Fridays facade and the other banner/pennant was moved to that location as well.

Can't say as I'm for this. Number one: it seems weak, grasping at straws. Number two: if I have to be reminded, well... Number three: if others do it by all means follow. Number four: what will be the results when it's another 26 years till we make the playoffs again. And what's the results when pople realize there's no WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS banner up there, and the real possibility there never will be. I'm afraid that hoisting a banner only serves to remind us that our franchise has been...

I personally have never had a problem with the prospect of doing it. I look at it this way. It's not to demean the other years of the franchise, it only serves as a reminder of the fun season that was the 2008 season. There was a significant accomplishment that was obtained in reaching the playoffs. It simply serves as a reminder of the playoff chase of 2008 and the season that was (obtaining CC, Braun's homer in Game 162, etc). I don't understand the notion that only a World Series Championship can be celebrated. It's just a way to remember 2008. I'd like to think that a majority of the fans of this franchise want to be reminded of how fun that 2008 season was. Not saying that doesn't make you a great fan, or a true fan...I just don't see the problem in being reminded.

Perhaps it's similar to the situation of the Lions in Detroit. They have stated that are going to retire the number of the Corey D. Smith and certainly hang something on the Ford Field Facade. From my recollection and his mere 42 tackles and 3 sacks in 2008, Corey Smith wasn't a star by any means, yet if I have to be reminded, well.... It just goes to show that people do want to be reminded. It was certainly a tragedy (general description of the Brewers franchise from 82-07), but people want something to hang onto about that young kid irregardless of how much of a tragedy the situation was, irregardless of the fact that his death was caused by his own poor judgment or the judgment of his chosen peers, etc. I think organizations honor teams, individuals, seasons, eras, events, as a positive reminder, not a reminder of the failures of before.

I don't need a reminder about the Lambeau Leap forum, but very similarly would you have a problem retiring Favre's number and hanging it on the facade? Is it a reminder of him losing the first ever playoff game(s) at Lambeau? His career record of throwing the most interceptions of any quarterback in NFL history? His early adult life struggles of addicition to drugs? Of course not, it's a celebration of winning a Super Bowl (albeit near 15 years go), a celebration of all his accomplishments.

Let the Brewers banner stand for something positive in your heart, a reminder of the fun season of 2008 and not the failures of seasons past.

Can't say as I'm for this. Number one: it seems weak, grasping at straws. Number two: if I have to be reminded, well... Number three: if others do it by all means follow. Number four: what will be the results when it's another 26 years till we make the playoffs again. And what's the results when pople realize there's no WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS banner up there, and the real possibility there never will be. I'm afraid that hoisting a banner only serves to remind us that our franchise has been...
Wow, talk about pessimism. I really don't understand this kind of point of view. How is it grasping at straws? The Brewers won the 2008 NL Wild Card. That's a fact. And I don't see how putting up a banner equates with the "real possibility they never will win a World Series." Also, I don't think anyone seriously thinks it will be another 26 years until the playoffs at this point...
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Fair enough. I'm only thinking out loud. I don't want to suppress anyone's memory, but merely want to point out that there's a greater picture, and maybe, just maybe another way to think about it.

We all know what a burden the talk of 1982 has been. I'd rather that we don't replace it with 2008 talk. That's all really. It's a minor point. Oh...and just one more thing: I really do think there's a good chance that decades could go by without making the playoffs: small market, lack of tradition, inability to produce another "wave" of players from the minors, etc., etc., etc.

ate at fridays the other night. i noticed something hanging below the facade below the metavante club, but i couldnt remember what was there in the past. could only see the back side though since the rest of the stadium is gated off.

The Brewers won't be the only team with a wildcard banner in their ballpark. I remember the Rockies having their "1995 Wild Card" banner painted onto the outfield wall for the longest time, and I believe there are a few others I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

I didn't have a problem with it when it was first announced, and I still don't. The fact that only four teams from each league makes the playoffs makes it mean something more to me -- it's not like the NFL, where two wildcard teams get in, or the NBA where half the conference gets in.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Resurrecting this thread after seeing the picture gallery on jsonline today...look up above the foul pole in picture #6...maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but it seems like it's not the same old '82 flag that's up there anymore. In addition, it looks like something has been added off to the left. Maybe I'm wrong, but it caught my eye. Has anyone heard anything more on this, or been in the park lately to see anything (ushers, vendors, etc.)?

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/photos/40852097.html?c=y&index=6&page=0

There is in fact a "wild card" banner now up in the stadium. We had our beginning of the season grounds crew meeting on saturday and we went out and checked on the field after our meeting was over. I for one like the banner, IIRC it is up next to a "1982" banner.

Right on. It's very weak and embarassing, makes me cringe. When neighboring ballparks in Chicago and Minnesota claim many division championships, league championships, and world championships, our piddly little Wild Card banner just looks piddly, podunk, and small time. A single wild card accomplishment in 26 years -- that's like putting a D+ test on the refridgerator door. Just something else for people from bigger cities to point and laugh at.

I would have much rather the organization take it in stride that we won the "last in" playoff spot, FINALLY making it back to the post season, and do nothing with it. Act like we've done it before. And then, a couple years from now if we're commemorating a division win or something bigger, put up something to recognize 2008 at that time. If/when 5-10 years pass and you look up in 2015 to see a lonely 82 AL pennant next to a lonely 2008 uno card sign, it'll just add to the embarassment.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I think it was an embarrassment that the Brewers even accepted the invitation to play in the playoffs. They should have just forfeited. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

It's a banner. There were no tickertape parades or overturned cars. No one is screamings, "We're number one!!" The banner is just a simple reminder of being one of the top 4 teams in the NL last year. Nothing more of less.

I think it was an embarrassment that the Brewers even accepted the invitation to play in the playoffs. They should have just forfeited.

Agreed, it was probably why they gave Suppan a start.

I think post-teams college or pro hang banners when they achieve something in the post-season. It's a big park, ya gotta hang something up.

Actually if I thought Russ was serious I could've got behind the idea of turning down a playoff spot because we didn't deserve it. Now that would've been historical and generated a lot of interesting discussion and debate. But alas, mere sarcasm--too bad really.

Actually if I thought Russ was serious I could've got behind the idea of turning down a playoff spot because we didn't deserve it. Now that would've been historical and generated a lot of interesting discussion and debate. But alas, mere sarcasm--too bad really.
Yeah, maybe they should just fold the team now and demolish Miller Park, since we'll never win anything again. Were you the same person saying the Brewers should become a AAA team a while ago? I would think that now that we actually made the playoffs, being a self-loathing Brewers fan would be passe.

I can't remember if the Cubs have some kind of banner listing their division championships at Wrigley, but seeing how we at least won a post season game last year, I think we have more to celebrate than they do.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Now, I didn't say we should have turned it down. Quite frankly we deserved more given the effort we put forth. But the idea that far too many teams make the playoffs is interesting. This isn't as big a problem in baseball as say the NFL or NBA or...well, everyone. But I wouldn't mind discussing the possiblity of dumping the Wild Card and just going with division winners, etc. And when was the last time someone or some organization admitted publicly that the didn't deserve the reward or the praise or the award they got? I think that would be a really interesting discussion.

I have no problems with a banner commemorating last year's accomplishment. However I hope it doesn't lead to trotting out a 50 year-old Ryan Braun to relive that cherished franchise moment 25 years back. Unless they also trot out 77 year-old Robin Yount and have them all wear split retros, with the 82 and 08 uniforms split 50/50 right and left. That would be fun.

Archived