Brewer Fanatic

Is "Wild Card Champions" worthy of hanging a banner at Miller Park?

lcbj68c
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A banner for a team that didn't win even a division title, is about as meaningful as the red "Participant" ribbon I was given after the 7th grade Science fair, for my 10 minutes of in-depth investigation of the growth patterns of my Chia Pet.
"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

A banner for a team that didn't win even a division title, is about as meaningful as the red "Participant" ribbon I was given after the 7th grade Science fair, for my 10 minutes of in-depth investigation of the growth patterns of my Chia Pet.

If this were the case, wouldn't any team that did not win the World Series just be a "participant" in the post-season?

I believe that making the post-season in MLB is a very difficult thing to do so it should be celebrated. I feel that a banner stating "2008 National League Wild Card" should be added next to the 1982 World Series banner. We of all fans should realize the significance of getting to the post-season...

"If this were the case, wouldn't any team that did not win the World Series just be a "participant" in the post-season? "

Not at all, mtrebs.

If we earned an NL Central Champs title, I'd look forward to the unveiling of the banner commemorating it. Win the pennant? Even more so. But a Wild Card berth, with no advancement in the playoffs, suggests celebrating mediocrity.

A Wild Card berth, and a win in the first round? Yeah, I guess. But what do you call it? I'd just have a banner reading "Milwaukee Brewers: 2008 National League Championship Series."... But even that's a little hollow.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I think it's funny that everyone was crying tears of joy when the Brewers made the playoffs, yet so many are now poo-pooing the Wild Card berth.
Yeah, no kidding. I guess the happiness around here fades pretty quickly. Some people just enjoy being perpetual cynics, I guess.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Like my blue kool-aid avatar might suggest, I'm still happy about the playoff appearance. The September 28 and October 4 games made up for a lot of the crap I've witnessed since my first attended game in 1983.

Also, not to rankle the anti-wild-card-commemoration crowd further, but the Brewers are rolling out a 2008 Brewers Party Suite in time for the 2009 season.

Yes, with enough money you, too, can relive the halcyon days of 1-6 months ago, with up to 48 guests. Of course, by the time the suite is in use, it'll be more like 6-12 months ago.

In a world where insta-nostalgia is becoming the norm (just look at VH-1), I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by this. Anyway, the reason I mention it here is because if the Brewers are putting party-suite-level effort into commemorating the 2008 Brewers, before 2008 even ends...I think we can expect to see a banner or something. Just a heads-up.

The link above mentions several other planned improvements to Miller Park during the 2008-2009 offseason. I'll begin a separate thread for that discussion.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

"Some people just enjoy being perpetual cynics, I guess. "

It's what I do, Invader! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Believe me, I'm not being ungrateful or anything. I was thrilled. When Ryan hit that homer in Game 162 against Chicago, I lost it. And when Helms saved our bacon to cement the playoff berth, it was a day I won't forget for decades, maybe never.

But it's just seems a bit...embarrassing?...to raise a banner for a 1-and-done playoff berth, while other stadiums have multiple banners commemorating division titles, league championships, and world championships. By comparison, it just makes our organization seem a bit needy or satisfied with barely, and I mean barely, making the playoffs once in 26 years.

No, it's not embarrasing, Geno. To me what's embarrassing is to hear fans discount this team earning its way into the postseason as something not 'worthy' enough to celebrate. For pete's sake, how can you not be proud of that? It's not our team's fault that the playoff field was expanded to 4 teams in each league, and as was pointed out, our W-L record was better than '4th-best'. I would proudly gaze upon a '2008 WC' banner/sign at Miller Park, realizing full well just how lucky we were as Milwaukee baseball fans to bear witness to such a special season.

other stadiums have multiple banners commemorating division titles, league championships, and world championships.

I call 'myth'. You're talking about teams that have been in existence far longer than the Brewers, and likely teams that have long had much greater financial resources than the Brewers. Yes, other stadiums have banners celebrating bigger accomplishments... so what? Do I as a Packers fan laugh at the Jaguars for celebrating their playoff achievments? No -- and it would be ridiculous of me to do so.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

To me what's embarrassing is to hear fans discount this team earning its way into the postseason as something not 'worthy' enough to celebrate.

No one is saying that we can't celebrate it -- I think we are just discussing the appropriate level. The 2008 Brewers did not win a pennant -- they didn't win the division, they didn't win the NL and they didn't win the WS. If we had a "post-season" banner, that had all the years we played in the PS that would be appropriate. In 1982 we were AL champs, in 1981, we sort of were AL East champs.

I'd certainly be curious how other teams commemorate their WC berths.

Personally I think stand alone banners should be reserved for winning divisions/leagues/WS -- I think a general "post season" banner would be cool to start though.

"The 2008 Brewers did not win a pennant -- they didn't win the division, they didn't win the NL and they didn't win the WS."

Correct...but they did win the NL Wild Card. The Wild Card is a position that is won. What I find a little hard to understand in this discussion is that for some reason a lot of folks dismiss it as a consolation prize. It is a ranking of the best of the league that didn't win their division. Should a division championship be ranked higher than the wild card in terms of impressiveness? I'd say so, but I still believe that winning the Wild Card is still impressive and that fans of the 12 other teams in the NL that didn't make the post-season wish they'd be having this discussion right now.

The way I look at it is that we won 90 games. Third best record in the NL, four teams make the playoffs. We did. Why not acknowledge that?

Exactly. We should celebrate our accomplishments. Or are we going to become self-loathing fans, similar to how the Red Sox Nation used to be? I'd rather not be a part of that scene.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wouldn't have it say "champions," but I'd commemorate the accomplishment with a banner. And to be consistent, I guess there needs to be something for the 1981 team. I don't know what it should say, though. Maybe "Would have won the AL East outright if not for the strike-induced split schedule"?

I suppose the team could commemorate the 1978, '79, and '87 teams with banners saying, "Would have won the division had we not been moved out of the AL West."

Seriously, though, making the postseason is history worth remembering and is an accomplishment. Hang the banners. Just keep the fuss level appropriate.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

First off, I think it would be ridiculous not to acknowledge the team's playoff appearance, it was most certainly a big deal.

Beyond that, trust me, the sales and marketing teams are not about to let a thing like this go quietly. Those of you who tired of all the '82 stuff had better hope the Brewers get something done again soon, if they don't, your children will be collecting '08 bobbleheads, and celebrating retro Sundays with the current look.

Those of you who tired of all the '82 stuff had better hope the Brewers get something done again soon, if they don't, your children will be collecting '08 bobbleheads, and celebrating retro Sundays with the current look.
Well, at least it will be celebrating a team I was actually old enough to remember see playing...

why don't they make 2 flags to put up with the '82 one: one says "1981 AL Post-season" and the other says "2008 Post-season"? Or make one of those all inclusive signs like Cleveland (I think?) did that said "Post-season appearances:" and then you add the years and leave plenty of room to add more years? Then, save the actual "flags" or whatever for Division titles/League titles/WS titles?

Or is that too "high school-ish"?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting this thread after seeing the picture gallery on jsonline today...look up above the foul pole in picture #6...maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but it seems like it's not the same old '82 flag that's up there anymore. In addition, it looks like something has been added off to the left. Maybe I'm wrong, but it caught my eye. Has anyone heard anything more on this, or been in the park lately to see anything (ushers, vendors, etc.)?

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/photos/40852097.html?c=y&index=6&page=0

Resurrecting this thread after seeing the picture gallery on jsonline today...look up above the foul pole in picture #6...maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me, but it seems like it's not the same old '82 flag that's up there anymore. In addition, it looks like something has been added off to the left. Maybe I'm wrong, but it caught my eye. Has anyone heard anything more on this, or been in the park lately to see anything (ushers, vendors, etc.)?
Nah, if they put it up, it'll probably be covered up, and they'd unveil it on opening day. I think it's the '82 flag.

Archived