Brewer Fanatic

Is "Wild Card Champions" worthy of hanging a banner at Miller Park?

lcbj68c

I wonder if the adminstration of the Milwaukee Brewers are considering hanging a banner or in the current case, "a pennant style" of hanging comemorative of being Wild Card Champions for the 2008 Season. Considering the Brewers haven't been Champions of much of anything, would it be a boost to this city and fan base to have something posted next to that 1982 AL Champions Pennant high above left field? Perhaps it's another way to put aside the past, put aside hearing about since 1982...., yet I'm sure some feel that Wild Card Champions just means the conference's 4th best and therefore not worthy of being noted. I vaguely believe I recall that Houston does have a Wild Card Banner, but it may be a sub-banner on how they finished that season? Weigh in your thoughts.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about the same thing at the couple of playoff games I was at.

I also noticed that whoever made the banners/budgeted room for them didn't think too optimistically with the Brewers. I noticed there isn't that much room for many banners if/when needed

The specific phrase Wild Card Champions sounds contradictory to me. How can you be champion of the wild card?

However, something that says "NL Wild Card 2008" would be fine with me; and like teatoe, I very much hope any commemoration has a different design than was used on the "1982 AL CHampions"...thing that is a visual abomination of an otherwise terrific accomplishment.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I don't think they should put up a banner for the Wild Card. In my opinion, they weren't really a winner of anything. They didn't win the division. They didn't win the national league pennant. I guess it would be similar to the Bucks hanging a banner for making the playoffs as an 8 seed, or the Packers hanging a banner for a Wild Card playoff appearance. They didn't win anything so, in my opinion, the '82 banner should fly solo.

But do I think the management will put up a banner? Yep.

If they hang a banner, they better hang one for 81 too. Also, I hope it doesn't say "wild card champions". Just say "wild card" and leave it at that. I personally wouldn't hang a banner unless it was a pennant or World Series though.

I thought most teams normally did their banners just stating what spot they won, rather than adding 'Champion' to it. For the Brewers it would say: 2008 Wild Card. Cubs would be: 2008 NL Central. Dodgers would be either: 2008 NL West or maybe 2008 NLDS because they made it through that round. If the Phillies win the World Series, they get a banner that says 2008 World Champions. If they lose, it's 2008 NLCS or something to that effect. Basically, you put the highest round that you won in the playoffs, or the spot you earned to get there, and no need to put 'winner' or 'champion' on any banner other than that of the World Series winner.

Darn right they should put up a banner!!! It was a well-earned accomplishment to make the playoffs this year and should be recognized by the organization. Plus, that '82 "banner" looks very lonely and pathetic out there. It needs some friends.

I was wondering when someone would bring this topic up. I've been thinking about this since they won the Wild Card. If it's something that other teams do, then why not?

On the subject of the term "champion". My dad got all upset back when the Packer's won the Super Bowl in 1997 and everyone was walking around with "Super Bowl Champions" hats and t-shirts. He claimed you can't be a champion of a game. It was ok to call them NFL Champions, but not Super Bowl champions. They are Super Bowl winners. To this day, I'm still not sure if I agree with him, but he still always brings it up.

edit: Wild Card "Champions" seems completely wrong to me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I don't think they should put up a banner for the Wild Card. In my opinion, they weren't really a winner of anything. They didn't win the division. They didn't win the national league pennant. I guess it would be similar to the Bucks hanging a banner for making the playoffs as an 8 seed, or the Packers hanging a banner for a Wild Card playoff appearance.

I completely disagree. There are many instances where the Wild Card winner is better than one of the other division winners. We had a better record than the Dodgers and we played in a far tougher division too.

In the NBA and NFL, it's pretty easy to make the playoffs so it is not as much of an accomplishment compared to baseball. In the NBA, it seems like half the teams make the playoffs. In the NFL, there are more divisions, fewer teams competing in each division, and more wild cards. So to me, it doesn't compare.

Yes, I want some kind of banner displayed at Miller Park.

Archived