Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

After looking at the latest model runs, I'm now 99% sure that all of Southern Wisconsin is going to get nailed on Thursday night.

In addition, the Saturday night/Sunday storm won't bring nearly as much snow as the first one, but will crank the winds up so that blizzard conditions appear likely.

A third storm will hit Tuesday/Wednesday.

Then a big arctic blast for Christmas day.

As the National Weather Service puts it: BRING IT ON!!!!

Community Moderator
OK, show us where they said that.

Latest forecast discussion, last line:

CONSIDERING AMOUNT OF SYNOPTIC SCALE FORCING AND MOISTURE AVAILABLE...18Z NAM QPF WAS CONSIDERED TOO LOW COMPARED TO MORE CONSISTENT AND PREFERRED GFS FOR UPCOMING EVENT. NEW 00Z HAS NOW COME MORE IN LINE WITH 18Z GFS WITH 288 7H LOW PRESSURE PASSING THROUGH SRN WI AND QPF AROUND 1.0 LATER THU NGT INTO FRI MRNG. THIS PLACES NRN TWO THIRDS OF CWA IN FAVORABLE LOCATION FOR HEAVIEST SNOW. LOW LEVEL CRITICAL THICKNESSES FROM NAM HINTING AT SOME SLEET AT IL BORDER WITH ALL SNOW FARTHER NORTH. CONTINUE TO SEE SIGNATURE OF COUPLED JET AT 12Z OVER SRN WI. CONSIDERING BAROCLINIC RIBBON ACROSS NRN IL INTO SRN WI...SURPRISED THERE IS NOT MORE RESPONSE TO 2-D FULL WIND FRONTOGENESIS AT MID LEVELS FROM NAM. STRONG OMEGA IN FAVORABLE DENDRITE GROWTH ZONE WITH 3 TO 4 GRAMS MIXING RATIO ON 290 THETA SURFACE WITH STRONG ISENTROPIC OMEGA. IN OTHER WORDS...NO CHANGES WITH WINTER STORM WARNING. BRING IT ON. [/pre]

Community Moderator

Honestly, the NWS website is quite a disaster until you know where to find things, which is kind of sad since it has such a wealth of weather information. The Milwaukee/Sullivan one is one of the better organized ones in my opinion.

They really should just have "Bring it on!" in bold text at the top of the website. Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Malibu, Houston, and New Orleans have all gotten snow recently, but it's time for Wisconsin to show the nation what a real snowstorm is!

(Clearly, I'm getting way too excited about this)

Seeing that someone in the NWS wrote "Bring it on" in their discussion makes me believe that this isn't going to be a dud like our last couple of big storms have been (8-10 after Thanksgiving, we get 1.5...8-10 last Tuesday, we get 6.5...yes, those are duds). Watch, we get more than predicted...

I'm sort of watching out for next week's potential snow, too. I've read that we could have a decent snow from anytime Monday night through Wednesday. A lot of people will probably be traveling Tuesday or Wednesday.

Community Moderator

Latest forecast is for about 8-10" in the Milwaukee and Madison areas, with up to a foot near the Illinois border.

This is a fast moving storm, so it's really going to come down once it starts. Most of the snow will fall in a 12-hour period from midnight tonight to noon Friday.

The other day the forecast discussion for Chanhassen (Twin Cities) concluded with "It's good to see a real winter for a change".

That smugness made my want to break his arm (if it broke badly enough, would he have his arm in an extended forecast? Thank you--I'm here all week.).

The other day the forecast discussion for Chanhassen (Twin Cities) concluded with "It's good to see a real winter for a change".
So...what was that we had a year ago? I guess you could argue it was an "unreal winter." Perhaps 2007-2008 was less severe in the Cities?
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

If I never had to leave the house the heavy snowfall wouldn't bother me. Unfortunately to be a productive member of society I have to drive to a job and driving home at 2am while my car plows snows really sucks. Cold, no problem. Just keep the roads clean. If they could somehow keep the snow to 3 or less inches at a time that would be great.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

For a winter storm warning that doesn't begin until 9 PM in Madison, there are sure a lot of closings for this evening. Why does Blackhawk Tech have to close at 5? Why are all 7 PM activities in Sun Prairie canceled? I don't quite get it.
Given the huge media buildup for this storm, they are probably in "better safe than sorry" mode. Plus the change to a 9:00 PM start was relatively recent. That's all I've got.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Classic scene from "The Simpsons" (can't find the video)...

Kent Brockman: But first! Let's check the death count from the killer storm bearing down on us like a shotgun full of snow.

Weatherman: Well, Kent, as of now the death count is zero. But it _is_ready to shoot right up.

Kent: Oh my God. [shakes fist at heaven] Damn you snow!

I feel like that watching the news sometimes.

Archived