Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lots of driving between there and Milwaukee and Madison, and Ontario, WI (switchback roads on hills, joy)

Series, which way are you going to get to Ontario? If you're coming from Madison, are you going on 33 through Reedsburg and LaValle? Would it be easier driving to go from 14 to Richland Center then hit 80, 56 and 131?

Once you get up in that area, it's kind of a crapshoot, but I know 80 and 56 aren't usually too horrible.

Community Moderator

Early indications are for 6-14" of snow on Thursday night (lowest amounts near Illinois border). Thundersnow is possible--but it's so difficult to predict. It's still a little early with this one, but it will probably be either a major snowstorm or a major ice storm.

Also, another 6"+ storm is looking like a strong possibility for the weekend.

Then an arctic blast just in time for Christmas.

Happy winter!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The drive last night from Madison's west side to Janesville was one of the worst winter weather drives I've ever undertaken, and that's saying a lot.

The ultra-fluffy crap was unbelievably slick. Cars in ditches everywhere. The I-90 was treacherous at best. It'd be one thing if everyone was going 35-45, but *most* everyone was going 35-45 (visibility was near zero), but of course, the big rig drivers can't be bothered to worry about safety, neither theirs or other's. At least a few times I had a big rig so close to my car that I couldn't see their bumper in my rear view. That's just not right in the best conditions, let alone conditions where even a slight mistake means you go into an uncontrollable slide. Ok rant over.

What's the best guess for when the weather hits thursday night? I get done with work at 6 pm, and I'm trying to figure out if I should just bring a change of clothes to work with me tomorrow.

I'm no forecaster RoCo, but it sounds like the big snow is starting Thursday night and going right into Friday morning. Everything I'm reading indicates up to a foot of snow throughout Dane County.

The worst part is I was just reading that there is potential for 2-4" on both Saturday and Sunday as well. We're well on our way to making last year look like nothing.

Quick Grinch rant....I know it's Christmas, but I don't want to hear about having a white Christmas. I'd rather freeze my rear off with a brown/gray/green Christmas than have a flake of snow on the ground. Phew, I feel better now.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

The worst part is I was just reading that there is potential for 2-4" on both Saturday and Sunday as well. We're well on our way to making last year look like nothing.

Yeah and for what it's worth, more is predicted for next week Tues:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/36290039.html

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Good luck w/ that one hawing http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

We got around 3-4" of that white fluffy crap and the drifting has only just begun. Hoo-freaking-ray.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Community Moderator

From what I can tell, it doesn't get going in the Madison area until after 7 PM. However, as seen by the last big storm, the timing can easily get moved 6 hours in either direction. Once it starts it's going to get going fairly quickly.

For what it's worth, the latest model has this thing going noticeably farther south, which would move the heaviest totals to right along the WI/IL border, with totals more in the 4-8" range north of I-94. So we still could get spared.

got to use the snowblower this morning and shovel 5-6 inches here in Appleton. Don't miss this at all living in AZ, but it was good to get back to my roots again.

I also checked and it snowed back home overnight. I guess Kingman got a few inches of snow but they didn't close the town down like last time. Wonder if it'll last past 11 AM or not.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

got to use the snowblower this morning and shovel 5-6 inches here in Appleton. Don't miss this at all living in AZ, but it was good to get back to my roots again.

I also checked and it snowed back home overnight. I guess Kingman got a few inches of snow but they didn't close the town down like last time. Wonder if it'll last past 11 AM or not.

This is completely tangential, but the timestamp on your post is really wacky, pitch.

12/17/56 2:29 PM

Brewerfan.net Moderator

Yuku seems to have a gremlin who gets a kick out of occasionally messing up time/date stamps.

Either that, or pitchleague is channeling either the past or the future....

But back to the next pending storm. The weather guy on the radio this morning (erstwhile Brewerfan Madison softball opponent Brian Olson) thought that the afternoon commute on Thursday wouldn't be a problem. Hope so, because if I can't get my hair cut Thursday, I'll probably have to wait until after New Year's. I'd rather not be shaggy for the rest of 2008.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yyaaayyy!!!We are about to surge ahead of last year's pace!

http://images.yuku.com/image/x-png/0ad1589674f49b1b16398f9e653bdd966dbd970.x-png

And for those of you in Madison:

http://images.yuku.com/image/x-png/fde1569271fb941805ff51d318e2f7ccdbab2b2.x-png

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My boss and his family left for vacation in Jamaica last night. And me being the big dummy I am, volunteered to plow the business while he's away. Yeah!! How to spend a week plowing snow by Jake will be a best seller. Crap Crap Crap

BrewerJamie how about the desert......oh wait! I never thought I would participate in this thread other than laughing at it, but we are in the midst of getting 5-7 inches of snow in Las Vegas! It has been snowing for 3 hours now with no end in sight looking at the radar. It is pretty cool for us!

Archived