Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They in fact do...

Coming to a somewhat sold-out bowling alley near you....

THUNDERSNOW

http://www.mulletjunky.com/webimages/Reign.jpg

This is exactly the image that popped into my head when I read a mention of ThunderSnow, ftj. Thanks for posting it again. I bet these guys rocked hard.

But also, a quick google search turns up that in fact there is a rock band called Thundersnow that is out of Madison, WI (your backyard).

Here is their my space page. My favorite part of their myspace page is the part where they talk about their sound.

Member Since 2/13/2008
Band Members John "the Yeti" Hitchcock (guitar) Joe "thunder muffs" Leroux (drums) Drew "mr.mittens" Iwaniw (guitar)
Influences The Beatles
Sounds Like The ice cracking under your feet right before you die a cold and lonely death.
Record Label unsigned
Type of Label Major

...that sounds about right.

I bet these guys rocked hard.

Rocked? -- As in they still aren't rocking???

Judging by the girth in that photo I would guess that they are mostly rolling these days.

By the way, 12-14 inches in Oshkosh? And no, that isnt a Visanthe Shiancoe reference...Im talking snow.

I just got home (Marshfield) from Appleton and the word from radio and weather forecasts here with snow starting this evening are anywhere from 3"-6" in Wausau to 8"-12" in Marshfield/Stevens Point. Strong winds tomorrow with snow diminishing in the afternoon. Green Bay/Fox Valley area expected to recieve 8"-14" by tomorrow evening.

Since lunch today, I've received email at work telling me:

- To be careful outside because it's already icy in Madison (from our head of maintenance)

- To not expect our daily courier delivery of returned books on Tuesday

- That the Office of State Employment Relations is implementing their Inclement Weather Policy. This means that state agencies are expected to maintain "essential services" (which pretty much means my office is open tomorrow, regardless of the weather) but that state employees should notify their supervisors if they don't think they can safely get to work.

All this advance freaking-out makes me kind of wonder if the storm will be less than advertised - just in a Murphy's Law type sense.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

Oh, this one is almost guaranteed to be a disappointment. Freezing rain is a big issue in the south, but in Wisconsin we have the resources to dump salt on everything and make it a non-issue for the most part. Also, the advance warning makes everyone prepared, so even if it was a big storm, everyone would be expecting it anyway.

Secondly, these type of storms are guaranteed to not turn out the way the forecast models predict, there just isn't any way to perfectly nail down the rain/snow line. Everyone ends up with something different than what was predicted...and it really looks like the Milwaukee/Madison areas are going to lose out to La Crosse and Green Bay in terms of snowfall totals. 10 inches in Madison seems far fetched at this point (and of course the media always jumps on the high end of the predictions when 5 inches is just as likely as 10).

However...the precip band extends all the way back into western Nebraska and the surface low will bring all snow tomorrow morning, so it's not like we're going to get nothing at all like the last storm, when Madison got 1.5" on a prediction of 6-10"

Edit: I took a look at a few more forecast models and I really think it will be very nasty tomorrow morning with heavy snow across the entire Southern 1/2 of Wisconsin.

I have never had my entire car encased in a thick layer of ice before like it was tonight. Wow.
I had that happen the New Years of 1999 in St. Louis. Pretty amazing. Killed an ice scraper in the process, the stuff was so thick. Good luck to everyone up there. Be safe!

Damn. I was going to drive to Madison from Wausau for the Badgers game tomorrow night. Not looking very promising at the moment.
I'll root for the both of us. Assuming the Idaho State players are in Wisconsin by now, I assume they will play the game even if a lot of spectators can't get here.

It might be a good night for upper deck fans to move to unoccupied seats downstairs. We share a 100 level ticket package with someone else and we're never asked to show our tickets to an usher. We are taking our tickets to work tomorrow in case we decide to stay on campus until game time.

Madison is currently getting what I like to call a "sitcom snow": midsize flakes, slowly falling, like you see on the Christmas episodes of sitcoms and other TV shows (even series where snow should not fall, like Beverly Hills, 90210).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

Round 1 is now over in Madison. Maybe 1-3" but I can't really tell looking down from the 14th floor of the AOS building. That is on top of maybe 1/8" of ice.

More precip is developing in eastern Iowa which should bring another 1-3" starting in a few hours.

A big band of snow will form after that with the surface low and will likely be heaviest from maybe 5 AM-early afternoon.

Yeah, we got pounded up her in Oshkosh...or so that is what it looks like out my window this morning. School is closed and the wind is really whipping. I am hoping if I put off shoveling until after 8 a.m that some kind soul will come through my sidewalk with a snowblower. I wouldnt even mind shoveling, but it looks really windy and nasty out there.

Well, Madison schools closed today, and that doesn't happen very often at all. The news this AM said we only had 3-4 inches, but the NWS said 6-8 inches so far. Also, last night at the very end of the 10:00 news, they said the model changed and the heavier snow would be farther south than originally forecasted. Stay safe out there.

In the last 12 hours, I've scraped ice off of my car five times. Not fun at all. The snow is falling the hardest it has in Platteville so far. I don't know how long it's supposed to last, but the part I'm not looking forward to is the bitter cold and intense blowing snow afterward.

Archived