Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So what's going on down south today?
Madison's had small flakes falling steadily since about 8:30 AM. Coming back from lunch, I had that awesome sensation of icy sand being flung in my face. I'd estimate by now the campus area has a few inches on the ground.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Haven't seen one flake in Chicago....except the dude that always asks me for cigarettes when I go to Walgreen's.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Careful Ry...I had people thinking I should be banned for saying "2007-2008 winter all over again?"... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I remember on the weekend before my birthday (which is 12/13) when I was in college, fishing in the Mississippi (must have been 1998) and almost, almost taking off my shirt because it was so warm in the sun that day. A check on weatherunderground.com confirms that it was indeed 66 degrees on December 5, 1998, and 55 degrees on December 14, 1998.

Community Moderator

The pattern that has set up for late November/December so far has been quite interesting. Last year, the cold air/upper level trough was consistently to the west of us, with the storm track from the southern plains to the eastern Great Lakes. This year, the cold air has been over the Great Lakes/Eastern US while the west has been warm and dry. We are getting mostly Alberta clippers which have much less moisture than last year's storms. This pattern looks to continue for the next 2 weeks...weak weather systems every 2-4 days followed by a reenforcing shot of cold air...with each cold wave getting progressively colder. Thus, I expect December to be colder than last year but with less snowfall.

The record low in Milwaukee today is -9 F, so it could be much worse...

...oh, and Madison recieved 17.3 inches of snow today in 1990.

This isnt looking good. Snow every other day and sub zero temps...before Xmas? Could it be possible this winter will be WORSE than last year?
Not necessarily. It was 2000 or so that Madison set a December snowfall record, but then that was almost it for the season.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This isnt looking good. Snow every other day and sub zero temps...before Xmas? Could it be possible this winter will be WORSE than last year?

I'm taking a weather and climate lab at UWO, and our TA shows the possibility of a major storm brewing up over the Northeastern states in about a week. While we might avoid the snow, he said we could be looking at 40 to 50 mph winds from the Northeast with frigid temps during that period. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif I'd take the snow before that garbage.

Three weeks ago he said there was no warm-up in sight, and yesterday he said the same thing. Not looking good fellas.

Edit: Yup, what OWBC said.

Looks like we will have another shot of 1-3 inches again tomorrow night, but this has me interested (from the NWS)...

ACCUMULATING SNOW IS LIKELY SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY. STRONG LOW

PRESSURE TRACKING ACROSS THE MIDWEST MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY WILL

HAVE TO BE MONITORED FOR THE POTENTIAL OF BRINGING WINTER STORM

CONDITIONS ACROSS SOUTHERN WISCONSIN.

Community Moderator

The latest model run looks like trouble for Southern Wisconsin. If it plays out like it shows right now, it should be a widespread 6-12"+ with most falling during the day on Tuesday.

There are still a number of issues to be resolved:

-Despite how cold it is right now, precipitation type looks to be a problem, especially in the Milwaukee area. Eventually it should all turn over to snow, though

-The storm moves quite fast, which could hold down accumulations

-The exact track is impossible to predict at this point. I can say with 100% certainty that someone in the Midwest is going to get nailed, but a few days ago it was the Ohio Valley and the track has been slowly shifting to the north. If it keeps going north, we could end up with mostly rain. Last year we seemed to get nailed every time, so maybe we'll luck out this time.

Community Moderator

At this point, heavy snow for Milwaukee is in serious question. There is major model disagreement and it could easily go from being a major winter storm to a serious bust. Green Bay and La Crosse are now looking like better bets for heavy snow, with Madison still likely to get hit fairly hard (although less than 6" remains a decent possibility).

I really don't know at this point, we're going to have to wait another 12 hours to know more.

I just want another round of thunder snow.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
Wausau and Stevens Point were just added to the Winter Storm Watch. I would expect snow anywhere from Monday night all the way through Tuesday evening. The Tuesday morning commute might be worse than the Tuesday afternoon in that region.

Community Moderator
Thundersnow unlikely for this event. The storm has decent frontal and jet forcing, but this one is characterized mostly by plentiful moisture availability. The high forecast accumulations are more due to the long duration than from brief bursts of heavy snow.

Obsessedwithbrewcrew question for you...

I am suppose to be going to Sun Prairie Are tonight for a work meeting. I would be driving from the Milwaukee area, do you think that I would be driving through a bulk of the storm? Do you think it would be a rough trip and would it even be advised? Thanks!

Community Moderator
This evening is a tough call. Looking at the radar, there is light precip that will be moving in this afternoon. The question is what type of precip will it be, but I-94 is going to be right on the line initially so I don't really know at this point. If its freezing rain, things could get really nasty in a short time period. I would recommend against it based on the rick of ice, but the heavier precip should get going sometime in the late evening.

Thundersnow unlikely for this event.
That's unfortunate. Thundersnow rules.

Archived