Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Storm went farther SE than expected and was warmer than expected, resulting in lots of sleet for some areas. Typical spring storm--it's almost impossible to forecast these things correctly. Hopefully this is the end of the winter weather thread for this year, but Milwaukee averages 2.6" of snow for April, so I doubt it.

Using the very long range model, I will issue an early opening day forecast for April 10--partly sunny with a high around 50, as it looks like we will be in the middle of a split flow pattern next week, with near normal temperatures. Of course, that will probably change several times before then, but at least it's close enough to take a look...

Ooh, burn.

Indeed -- however, before Rydogg claims that I gave a substandard effort....

It appears to be done in Oshkosh, it was less than an inch.

What is Rydogg's wife's last Twitter entry?

I will take Potent Potables for $1000, Alex

Geez FTJ I am beginning to wonder if you have some sort of email notification system attached to my posts that notifies you every time I say something stupid. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

So I just looked at the 10 day weather forecast to see what they are saying for the home opener and it is not very fun to see.

Going to the game in Appleton Thursday night--Mostly Cloudy. High 34F and low 29F. Winds E at 12 mph

And the home opener on Friday--Snow. High 33F and low 32F. Winds NE at 25 mph.

I know that things can change quite a bit by then, but it certainly isn't looking good so far.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Community Moderator

An opening day snowstorm would be just awful. Unfortunately, I'm also watching the potential for a quick shot of snow on Thursday night, as well as a potentially major snowstorm on Sunday. This isn't an April Fools joke either...unless someone has been messing with the forecast models.

That being said, I don't believe the long term forecast, it seems too cold for Sunday, but we're talking winter storm warnings if it holds.

Community Moderator

Looks like this one isn't going to be too big of a deal, but the models don't agree and never have. However, it's going to be plenty cold enough for snowflakes, any accumulations should be under 3", perhaps nothing at all. The exception to that is areas in that winter weather advisory, where maybe up to 4 or 5" could fall in isolated areas.

It's going to be a really lucky miss for WI, as the storm is dumping on the plains right now but it is expected to weaken as it gets close to WI before getting its act together again over lower Michigan. It doesn't change the fact that it's going to be 20 degrees below normal on Sunday, but at least we won't have 6" of snow to deal with.

I don't care if we get 2 feet of snow today, give me something decent for Opening Day and I'm happy.

Currently, WTMJ's 7-day planner is calling for 45 degrees and partly sunny on Friday. Would be nice to kick that up a few degrees, but any sun is welcome...

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Has Milwaukee gotten any rain or snow since 7pm last night?
I just looked at the Dept. of Transportation traffic cameras and the shot they're showing of I-94 at Miller Park shows no snow on the ground.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Community Moderator
This "storm" was a nightmare for meteorologists and yet amounted to virtually nothing. We saw maybe an inch in Madison this morning. Iowa did get hit fairly hard, though.

So that was the big storm, huh?

Archived