Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
North Carolina Winter Weather Post: the Winston-Salem area got 5" of snow last night, the most I've ever seen in the three years I've lived here. Really pretty outside, plus school was shut down today.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rarely is there a storm where Oshkosh takes the brunt of it and both Milwaukee and GB get less but we got over 7 inches of the heaviest stickiest snow I have shoveled in a long time yesterday. It was just terrible, I walked out in it and when the snow (which accumulated quickly) hit me it didnt feel like snow or sleet or anything like that, it felt like regular rain, yet it was drifting in my driveway from the wind, well over a foot. Aye, it was bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Would've thought that we were done with this thread for the year but the latest reports are for more snow this weekend in Southeast Wisconsin. According noaa.gov the MKE area is in store for 3-6 inches? I can't always understand the Forecast Discussion section but I saw some references in there for a possible 8 inches in MKE and possibly 15 inches in the Madison area. Is anyone else hearing this? At least snow at this time of year won't stick around long.

I took a look at the NWS forecast discussion, after honuswagner21's curiosity piquing post, and the relevant part appears below.

I'm no obsessedwithbrewcrew, but my guess is that the forecast models disagree, perhaps wildly, on how much snow might fall in Madison or Milwaukee. Even the NWS forecast for Madison currently hints at 2-5 inches total, so perhaps the 15 inch bit is from the X-treme forecast model that's always out there predicting something more drastic (hawing said hopefully).

[/pre] 
 AS FOR PRECIP AMOUNTS...IT LOOKS LIKE A RANGE OF A QUARTER INCH OVER THE NW PART OF THE CWA TO AROUND THREE QUARTERS OF AN INCH IN THE [/pre]SW. THIS WOULD TRANSLATE TO 3 TO 6 INCHES ACROSS THE CWA USING MODEL 

SNOW RATIO GRIDS AROUND 10:1. GFS COBB TECHNIQUE (WITH A BULLSEYE OF

HIGHER QPF ACROSS THE CENTER PART OF THE CWA) SHOWS A WET 2 INCHES

AT MKE AND 15 INCHES FOR MSN...AND THE NAM COBB SHOWS 8.7 INCHES FOR

MKE AND NOTHING FOR MSN. SNOW RATIO GRIDS WILL NEED TO BE MODIFIED

TO ACCOUNT FOR WETTER RAIN/SNOW MIX IN SE CLOSER TO THE EVENT.

[code] [/code]

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

Fortunately, the 15" numbers aren't going to happen. There was one model run that painted that scary scenario and it fortunately looks like it was just a nightmare.

It looks like somewhere between 4-8" is likely for Milwaukee/Madison. However, there are a number of issues such as air temperature, how much the snow will stick to the ground, how much Lake Michigan will hold down snow totals, how much moisture will be stolen by thunderstorms to the south...

Historically, we all know that we can get nailed in March and April, so I would go ahead and prepare for a snowstorm Saturday night. My official forecast is that there is a 95% chance that winter storm watches will be issued this afternoon.

My official forecast is that there is a 95% chance that winter storm watches will be issued this afternoon.
And the 5% kicks in! The winter storm watch was issued at 11:58 AM. I want an "obsessedwithbrewcrew was wrong" umbrella. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I like how the current winter storm watch message gives an estimate for south/east of Madison and north/west of Madison, but seems to leave a mystery swath in between. Oh well, March snow shouldn't last long anyway.

Also, Madison apparently needs only .08 in precipitation to make March 2009 the wettest March on record. To paraphrase those wacky baseball fans to the south, it's gonna happen.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
Still a tough forecast today. I can see some parts of the Winter Storm Warning area picking up 6-8" and other areas only getting 2-3". The two models I look at each show a different solution and have been consistent with that for several runs now. -The ground should be cold enough for the snow to stick fairly quickly, especially if the temperature stays in the mid-30s today. -Milwaukee/Kenosha/Racine counties are the biggest question mark, I'm leaning toward it being too warm there to see significant travel problems. 3-6" or so. -The Winter Weather Advisory counties could easily go to a warning depending on the afternoon model runs. Madison is right on the line where a 20 mile shift in the track could mean the difference between 2" and 7". I'm leaning higher for Madison right now, but that could change in a few hours. Madison's rainfall record is going to get crushed and there are two more storms expected this week (mostly rain, fortunately)

Now THAT's the FtJ we all know and love.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Back to the weather. I love watching radar loops and trying to predict when we get hit be precip. (yes I'm a complete loser as that's my definition of fun). However, the track of the latest band of precip. is very hard to predict. I guess we'll see it when we see it.

Community Moderator

I am now much more confident my earlier suspicions were correct--Milwaukee and south should see mostly rain/mix at the beginning while Madison can expect closer to 6" depending on how fast the stuff sticks...at that includes NE of Madison since the storm is tracking SW to NE.

As for the radar loops--you can see that the storm is moving farther west than originally forecasted by looking at where the main precipitation band is set up right now. Another issue with winter storms is that the precipitation also starts as virga--so it looks like it should be snowing outside based on the radar but nothing is actually falling. One way to help figure out when the precip will actually start is to look at surface relatively humidity, since you want the air to be at least 80-90% saturated to stop the snow from evaporating before it hits the ground. Right now, Milwaukee is 33 with a 24 dew point, so at only 70% RH, it will take a little while to saturate the lower atmosphere before it can snow.

Yes, I also very much appreciate your commentary OWBC. Can I commission you to assist with the weather forecast for my upcoming July nuptials? It will be an outdoor ceremony so I am hoping not to have to make a post in the Wisconsin Winter Weather thread at that time.

Community Moderator

Thanks guys, I obviously really enjoy talking about the weather so if you ever have any questions or need a forecast, I'll be glad to help.

By the way, it looks like my earlier thoughts might be off, it's looking plenty cold enough for snow everywhere, which means some areas in the far southeast are going to push 10" with this one. 4-6" looks good for a Madison to Sheboygan line, less NW, more SE.

The snow has begun in Madison...
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived