Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

I totaled my girlfriend's car in that 1" of snow last Friday night--the roads didn't look that bad but I hit some ice and went into a guard rail at 30 mph--no bounce, just crunch.

Winter wins.

I totaled my girlfriend's car in that 1" of snow last Friday night--the roads didn't look that bad but I hit some ice and went into a guard rail at 30 mph--no bounce, just crunch.

Winter wins.

Ah, geez. Not the Weatherman! I was asking rhetorically, a few posts up, about whether we were letting winter beat us. I'm sorry to hear of your more literal experience.

When one of our cats woke me up at 5:30 AM, I took a peek out and snow was falling at a pretty good clip on Madison's west side. It's less now, but I'm going to guess we have 5" on the ground.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
Ah, geez. Not the Weatherman! I was asking rhetorically, a few posts up, about whether we were letting winter beat us. I'm sorry to hear of your more literal experience.
Thanks hawing :-) I guess I should have taken my own advice and driven carefully on icy roads--$2,500 lesson learned.

Snow total in Madison was 6.8" from that storm, bringing the season to 66.6". Last year at this time Madison was at 86.7". Hopefully we won't be getting anywhere near that this winter.

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GREEN BAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON... AND CONTINUE INTO THURSDAY NIGHT BEFORE DIMINISHING. ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE... ALONG WITH SOME BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF THE SNOW.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Looks to be affecting Central and Northern Wisconsin.

Community Moderator

Lots of question marks for the forecast on Thursday. The rain/snow line should set up somewhere across Southern Wisconsin. Since I have no idea where exactly the line will be, here's a map of the probability of getting 4+" of snow on Thursday. There is still an outside shot of Southern WI getting a decent snowstorm, but totals are more likely to be in the 1-4" range with more the farther north you go.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/day2_psnow_gt_04.gif

Community Moderator

Ok...just took a look at the new models. There is still some disagreement but I'm confident in this forecast.

-Madison and Milwaukee will see a brief burst of heavy rain with possible thunderstorms tomorrow afternoon. Sleet could mix in with the rain. Overnight, the rain will change to snow with less than 2" possible. The NWS should cancel the winter weather advisory and issue a flood watch in my opinion.

-Areas around a Dells to Sheboygan line (currently in the ice storm warning) are a big question mark. Only one model is showing the ice storm, the other puts them right on a line between mostly rain and 6"+ of snow. There's no way to know for sure what type of precip will fall here.

-LaCrosse to Appleton can expect heavy snow, with a quick shot of up to 8" of heavy wet snow likely (anyone in the current winter storm warning)

Surprised that no one has chimed in after/during this weather today.

The streets in Madison are horrible. I didn't go on any main streets, but the ones I hit were pure ice. I never got over 15 MPH and slid past two of my turns in my neighborhood. I saw a couple cars get sideways and hit the curb and also saw a Madison Metro sitting at 45 degree angle by the Watts Rd. post office.

Since I've gotten home, I've heard 3 different fire trucks heading out (to accidents, I assume).

I can only imagine the fine sidewalk conditions awaiting me as I take my daughter to school in the morning.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I will be the first to say I cannot remember Milwaukee getting hit so precisely, so exclusively, and mostly unexpectedly by a lake effect snow band like this. As I write this (3:52am) I bet most of you aren't even aware of what is happening outside, and doesn't look to be slowing down at all. 4" at the airport already, 8" possible.

Happy Monday everyone!

Anyone know how far west the snow goes?... Gotta drive in to work at Hwy 100 and Wisconsin, and just want to make sure I'm not driving into a pile of hell.

You should be fine. I came into MKE from Whitewater this morning around 5 and there was just a dusting of snow on the highway beginning at HWY 100. The snow that's fallen is literally right on the lakeshore.

Community Moderator

Wow, that Lake Effect band hasn't moved in over 12 hours!!! This is a very unusual situation for the winds to be stuck out of the Northeast for so long.

Mitchell Airport has recieved an amazing 10.9 inches as of 9:00 AM!!!!!

It looks to me like only the Southeast 1/4 of Milwaukee County is getting the heavy snow, with light snow elsewhere. Skies are probably mostly sunny in northern Milwaukee County. The NWS is saying 10-15 inches for the area with the heavy snow, although the band still isn't showing any signs of moving, so the airport could potentially get even more than 15.

Edit: Check out the freeway cams right now. It is completely sunny at I-94 and 27th street, while the cameras at College Ave. and Mitchell Airport are cloudy with snow falling.

Yeah this is crazy. I read from the J-S that Milwaukee is getting pounded with lake-effect snow, but I look outside and my streets are bare.

It's great to be in Brown Deer right now.

Skies are probably mostly sunny in northern Milwaukee County.

True.

Archived