RyDogg66
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Madison's channel3000.com this morning:

Beaver Dam Schools
Opening 2 hours late
Submitted at: 5:23 AM CST on Thursday, Jan 15
Cue local controversy in Beaver Dam....now.

Seriously, are they trying to show they're tougher than every other school district in southern Wisconsin? Or are they on the verge of extending the school year into July, and don't want to do that?

Like ttsather, I bundled up a little more than I normally would this morning and could still feel the cold getting through during the two block walk from the bus stop to the library. I felt a little freezing sensation inside my nose and thought of this thread and Chio151's comments.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Whats the point of a 2 hour delay? It is just as cold at 10 AM as it is at 8 AM. Does the 2 degree increase in temperature now make it safe for kids to wait for the bus?

I agree.

I see no reason why school districts should have anything but a concrete policy on "cold days." Cold is cold, and it can be dangerous. Snow days require some discretion based on timing of the snow, temperature, roads, etc, but there is no ambiguity in dangerously cold temperatures.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is it just me or do they close schools a lot more often these days for cold weather than they used to? I don't think I ever had a day off for cold weather when I was a kid - snow a few times but never cold. Of course my district didn't have to bus anyone around so maybe that makes a difference.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Of course my district didn't have to bus anyone around so maybe that makes a difference.

Exactly -- It's not just the buses, but the kids standing outside at the stops... I think they are a little more careful about harmful cold today than they were 20 years ago as well -- which is probably a good thing.

Janesville schools didn't announce a closing until this morning. I was strongly considering keeping my kids home anyways, as my daughter has about a 10 block walk home from the bus stop (as well as waiting for the bus outside after school)

10 blocks = 20 minutes, and that's frostbite for sure in these temps.

I think I was meant to live in Alaska. I don't mind this weather. I've been outside most of the day without a coat. Granted, I have long johns on underneath my work pants and 2 shirts on.

Come summer, I'm the one complaining when it is 95 and humid.

I think I was meant to live in Alaska. I don't mind this weather. I've been outside most of the day without a coat. Granted, I have long johns on underneath my work pants and 2 shirts on.

Come summer, I'm the one complaining when it is 95 and humid.

When I worked in construction, this is the way I was. If it was in the 40's or even high 30's, I could work all day in a tee shirt and jeans.

Now that I work inside I'm not necessarily wussified to the cold, but I don't have the tolerance to it that I used to.

• 2 weeks later...

So I dont know why but this morning felt like THE COLDEST morning yet. Yes, I know it isnt colder than it was 2 weeks ago, but it surely felt much colder. Also, I love how the weatherman keeps putting mid to upper 20s into the forecast about 4-5 days out and as we get closer those numbers fall to 20...then 18...then 15....then 10. Give me a break. This weekend started off in the 30s about 5 days ago and this morning they are calling for 25 tomorrow. I am sure tonight the weatherman will amend that to 18 degrees. Then all next week looks like highs between 10-15 and lows around 0.

So if the average high is 25 degrees, and we have been between 0-12 degrees for the past month or so, does that mean that we'll be 12-24 degrees ABOVE normal for February?

Someone help me out, I cannot take much more of this!!*^$*($*!@@!!!!!

Wednesday night I'm watching channel 6 in Milwaukee and they give the 7 day forecast. They had Monday and Tuesday as being brutally cold, something like a high of 5 or something like that. None of the other stations were forecasting anything like this. Most of them had highs around 20 for Monday. I notice Channel 6 has changed it's forecast, but it's forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday still seem pretty different from other local forecasts. I'm hoping Channel 6 is wrong

channel 6:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/6681519477fb901a961ce8ab8f50c3ed61d2f46.pjpg

Channel 4:

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/dc43501991c5799ef4f09fb71c78e98cb72e094.pjpg

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Community Moderator

There's been some recent model disagreement about the southward extent of some arctic air for early next week. I'm thinking it won't be anything worse than highs in the teens but it's hard to tell.

The long term forecast (next weekend) is for warmer temperatures with continued dry conditions. A more active weather pattern is possible for the week after that, but we could be talking about rain instead of snow. That's kind of far off though.

The paper in Oshkosh this morning had a story about how January was the 9th coldest January on record, and that we can expect below average temps to continue for at least the next three weeks, with also below average precipitation.

As long as the snow stays away, the colder temps are fine by me.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

As long as the snow stays away, the colder temps are fine by me.
I'm with you, I don't much like the bitter cold but will take it any day over snow. I'm just glad December and January are out of the way. And now onto February which thank God is the shortest month.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm so happy I left. I tried to find the weather in places other than Wisconsin, but it disappeared. So, I'll just share with you that it's going to be 72 today in San Antonio. Took the dog to the dog park and it was great. Tomorrow's going to be 75. It's difficult, but I'm staying tough in the weather.

Yeah Tucson, AZ doesn't seem so so bad now. I think it has been in the 70's all week and was over 80 last weekend.

I was working on my car today with my girlfriend's dad. he was amazed at much WI cars rust. I still enjoyed WI weather though. I had a snowmobile, so the snow was nice. You appreciate the seasons a lot more when you leave.

Archived