Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With 4-10 inches of snow over 2 days. Great. On Thursday I'll be shoveling in 5 degree weather.
I hate to tell you, but the current National Weather Service forecast for Milwaukee says the "high" on Thursday will be -3. So "5" may be only a pipe dream.

The current NWS forecast for Madison says 3 today, -20 tonight, -6 Thursday, -21 Thursday night, all with 10-15 MPH winds and wind chill readings -15 to -25 today and -30 to -40 tonight through Friday.

If I recall correctly, the Madison K-12 schools close whenever a wind chill warning is in effect, so a "cold day" can probably be expected for Thursday, maybe Friday since the wind chill warning is currently set to last through noon Friday.

If the current forecast holds, we'll be busting out shorts and flip-flops Sunday, when it's supposedly going to reach 27. Above.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Is it April yet?

These last 2 winters have been pretty freaking ridiculous.

Whats worse is that I am buying a house in the beginning of February. I am really looking forward to moving when it is 5 degrees outside. Luckily I will be moving over a 2 week period so hopefully I can pick a day in there in the 20's to move most of my big stuff.

That February heating bill is probably going to be a big shock since I have never paid for heat before. I am expecting it but it will still suck.

Community Moderator
Fortunately, the lake effect snow band has moved back over the lake. I'm not sure why the NWS freaked out about that, it never looked like the band was going to move very far onshore to me.

If I recall correctly, the Madison K-12 schools close whenever a wind chill warning is in effect, so a "cold day" can probably be expected for Thursday, maybe Friday since the wind chill warning is currently set to last through noon Friday.
Our school district doesn't have a rule written down. High school students today aren't real happy hearing about the other districts that do.

Whats worse is that I am buying a house in the beginning of February. I am really looking forward to moving when it is 5 degrees outside. Luckily I will be moving over a 2 week period so hopefully I can pick a day in there in the 20's to move most of my big stuff.

That February heating bill is probably going to be a big shock since I have never paid for heat before. I am expecting it but it will still suck.

I hear you fondy.

Our new house is scheduled to be finished with construction by the end of January.

That means moving in the cold and also paying heating bills for the new house (while they work on it) and our rental home for the last month.

Still, more than ready to get in the new house and finally be able to have my rec/Brewer room.

Our school district doesn't have a rule written down. High school students today aren't real happy hearing about the other districts that do.
Well, your school district started late this morning for "only" minus-teens-and-twenties wind chill. I think you'll have tomorrow off, unless the forecast is uncommonly inaccurate or your district is concerned about extending the school year into July. (By now you must be going a ways into June already.)

Not to make the high schoolers read and weep, but here is the Madison Metropolitan School District's weather policy. The extreme cold section looks like the most cut-and-dried part of the document.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Regarding hawing's message...

The MMSD sent home a letter with students on Monday indicating the guidelines for a "cold day". I think it was their way of saying 'make daycare plans because school is going to be closed'.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Community Moderator

Tomorrow is going to be the coldest day in Southern Wisconsin in about 10 years.

Madison:

High -4

Low -19

Wind chill -30 to -40

Milwaukee (airport):

High 1

Low -10

Wind Chill -25 to -35

Notably, this is still about 10 degrees warmer than the record lows/low maximums.

It's still nice out, what gives? I was expecting my snot to freeze.

I do not care for all this winter hoopla. I just want the news to give me a few easy guidelines for each day:

1. Normal Winter

2. Switch to pink bottle of washer fluid

3. Snot freezing

4. Spit does not reach ground.

When we reach 4, school can be called.

I remember the winter of 1996 when I was a senior in high school, I missed my first ever days of school for illness when I was diagnosed with Mono. The doctor told me to stay home the entire week. I missed school Monday and Tuesday and then the last 3 days of the week were canceled due to the extreme could. this would have been mid-february 1996. It was great I got the week off and only missed a two days of school.

I remember the winter of 1996 when I was a senior in high school, I missed my first ever days of school for illness when I was diagnosed with Mono. The doctor told me to stay home the entire week. I missed school Monday and Tuesday and then the last 3 days of the week were canceled due to the extreme could. this would have been mid-february 1996. It was great I got the week off and only missed a two days of school.
Maybe it says something about my work ethic in high school, but I would've been reallly peeved that I got sick and would've been home anyway during a stretch where school was closed.

I remember this weekend. The high that Sunday was -13 in Milwaukee. The thing is the weekend before had tied the record low at -25. My car didn't start either weekend and I had to take a cab to work and back home 2nd shift on the Saturdays, wasn't near brave enough to take the bus.

A lot of schools have already punted on Thursday. Probably 40 or so.
Yeah, I just looked online and it seems like all of "the usual suspects" have already called things off tomorrow.

I was told by another parent that an announcement was made after school today indicating Madison would notify the media between 4:30 and 5 AM regarding closing tomorrow. I'm sure the notification could come before that, but I assume that is their self-imposed deadline to get word out. I think they normally wait until 6 AM at the latest.

If they want to close tomorrow, fine by me. I've already got a sitter lined up and wouldn't mind a sleep-in day midweek.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I got home from school just as they cancelled it. Works out pretty well for me because exams start next Tuesday, and I didn't want to start a new chapter, so I've got my students doing busy work and reviewing for a few days. This really helps my scheduling fall into place.

Now I will go out and get myself a 6 pack of winter lager, a few movies, and enjoy sleeping in tomorrow.

Community Moderator

MPS has called off school tomorrow. I expect there will be lots of 2 hour delays on Friday as the temperatures should warm up fairly quickly. The weather should be nice (30s above zero) next week, but long range models are showing a possibility of more arctic air for the following weekend...details to come in a few days.

Also interesting was the lake effect snow band off Racine this morning. Some areas reported up to 8" of snow from this mini vortex.

I just walked to work as bundled up as I have ever been for that trek (long underwear, huge hat, ski jacket, gloves, baselayer, midlayer plus everything else I'd otherwise wear - you know, work clothes.) and I was still freezing.

I have a good friend who returns from his honeymoon today. Welcome back!

Archived