Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After having our flight delayed by hours Friday night (arrived at 1 AM! Out of MDW by 2:15!), and then nearly freezing my face off in fifty-below wind chills in Chicago Sunday afternoon, and then dealing with blowing drifts on 94 on our way to Madison on Sunday afternoon/evening, and THEN with blowing drifts on hilly, wind-y, icy and snowed-over roads along the Mississippi in Iowa and Vernon County the last couple days (a woman was killed in a wreck on roads we were driving this morning by DeSoto), I've told my Mom that if she wants the whole family together for Christmas again, Santa's gonna have to come out to California or down to my sister's in Florida.

Ah, Series, had I realized you were in Madison I would have waved. Truly, it sounds like you've experienced a whole winter's worth of stuff in under a week.

We noticed on the news tonight a bunch of weather-related traffic fatalities. This makes us feel like we made the right move in not traveling tonight.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Ah, Series, had I realized you were in Madison I would have waved. Truly, it sounds like you've experienced a whole winter's worth of stuff in under a week.

We noticed on the news tonight a bunch of weather-related traffic fatalities. This makes us feel like we made the right move in not traveling tonight.

Yeah, since I always keep moving back here in the back of my mind, I kept telling myself that this was all relatively unusual, and that normally I wouldn't even be on any roads during this kind of weather, much less those backwoods switchbacks. Now that I'm off the roads and inside drinking hot cocoa and looking at the sun rise over the snow banks and evergreens after watching my nephew open gifts, winter doesn't seem so bad, not bad at all..

Anyway, we were only in Madison for a quick overnight pit-stop...unless you were at Nat Spiel or the Great Dane, you probably didn't see us blur by!

Merry Christmas!

a woman was killed in a wreck on roads we were driving this morning by DeSoto

I had to do a reread. At first, I thought you said the woman was killed while driving in a DeSoto.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I thought the roads were in excellent shape yesterday? I did the Madison-Milwaukee commute about 11 AM or so. It was snowing like crazy, but nothing was sticking, leaving nothing but wet pavement. I did 75 the whole way, and felt entirely safe. I've seen a lot of traffic related accidents this year too. On Tuesday, while on Hwy.51 near McFarland/Stoughton, saw two full-size trucks on their backs, and another on its side. Too many cars in ditches to count. Anyone else on 94 yesterday see the semi that was stuck in the median? Sounds like we're in for some rain tomorrow. I'm all in favor of that.

I thought the roads were in excellent shape yesterday? I did the Madison-Milwaukee commute about 11 AM or so. It was snowing like crazy, but nothing was sticking, leaving nothing but wet pavement.

I also made my trip at that time Weds., and thought the roads were quite good.

Ok, I won't ask again...but what is the weather looking like for New Years Day in the Fox Valley? My son is turning 3 and we have a big birthday party for him that day. It looks like SNOW is the word...is it going to be a lot?
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Community Moderator

Ok...I'm back from sunny Florida--it was nice to get a break from winter for a few days, but driving through that ice storm last Friday was horrible.

Looks like just light snow on New Years Day--just some flakes in the south, maybe 1-2" in northern Wisconsin.

Ok, I won't ask again...but what is the weather looking like for New Years Day in the Fox Valley? My son is turning 3...
Was your son a new-year's baby? I know someone who was the new year's baby in West Bend back in the 60s and her parents got a lot of freebies as a result.

To make this not entirely off-topic...December 2008 has now become Madison's all-time snowiest month, with 40.4 inches as of 4:00 PM December 31.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

More snow for SE WI on Friday. The weather service is unsure at the moment but says things will shape up later today depending on a low pressure system that may strengthen over the central Mississippi valley region and head northeast.

EDIT: also wanted to make it easy for owbc to find it as I trust his weather findings.

Community Moderator

I was about to bump this!!

-I agree with the 3-6" forecast for Friday. Heaviest totals near the WI/IL border. The major storm scenario doesn't look like it will pan out, only a light to moderate snow is expected. Start time is Friday mid-morning.

-Next week will be extremely cold. Timing should be a bit delayed--a clipper will bring maybe 1-3" of snow on Monday night with the arctic air coming in behind that. Lows on Thursday and Friday morning could be -10 F near the lake up to maybe -25 F in some inland locations. That's still a ways off though, but it sure looks like the very cold air that has been over Alaska is headed straight for the Midwest.

Community Moderator
The whole Fahrenheit scale is kind of a waste...I don't know why we don't just change over--it isn't that hard. Roughly speaking, -10 C is 10 F, 0 C is 30F, 10 C is 50 F, 20 C is 70 F and 30 C is 90 F. If they would spend about 1/4 the money they are spending on those digital TV conversion commercials, we could be using Celsius in a year.

I was reading the forecast discussion at the MKE NWS, and it indicated that one of the forecast model has predicted higher amounts than the 5-8 that is currently predicted. Although they said it doesn't appear likely right now, it could be a possibility.

Community Moderator

Yeah, that's correct--the Sullivan NWS is a big fan of the ECMWF (the European forecast model) which has apparently stuck with a stronger version of the system than the North American models. Unfortunately, there isn't a good free version of those runs on the Internet that I know of, so I can't say much on its forecast. The NAM and GFS are the two North American models that they like to refer to which have output available for free. Obviously, there is way more to the forecast than the models, but usually you can get a fairly good idea of where the precipitation is going to fall (when it's all snow) from the models.

Anyway...the models come out in the next 2 hours so I'll post an update about what I think later tonight--but the NWS is saying totals of 6-9" now for the Madison/Milwaukee area. How they get 9" of snow from this, I have no idea.

When looking at the latest radar, is it me or does round two of this snowfall look like it's veering a little farther north than predicted? Ugh, Mad. to Mil. is looking like snowfall alley.

EDIT: upon further review, I'm not a weatherman nor do I play one on tv. The storm's going right where it was forecast. Phew!

Community Moderator

Yeah, looks like a close miss, with 1" additional in Milwaukee/Madison and 2-3" near the WI/IL border.

Still...it wouldn't be unprecedented to see the band move 20 miles north, but I don't see it happening this time.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
When I got home from work last night, there was a good 5" on the driveway that needed to be cleared, and it was not snowing. When I got up this morning, there was ANOTHER 4" on the ground, and it's coming down pretty good again right now. Looks like the total (at least here in Rock County) could go over 10" for the storm, with local forecasts saying another 1-2" before it finally moves on through. I'm sure OWBC could explain, but it sure seems like right here along the border counties, we've consistently got the worst of it for the last 2 winters.

Community Moderator

Last year just about everyone got nailed...it just seemed like randomness to me. Historically, the lakeshore counties usually win out due to the added lake effect snow/enhancement, but that hasn't been the case as much recently.

I don't have any Rock County totals for this year, but even after today's snowfall, Rockford, IL will still be about 5" behind Madison. You guys sure got nailed with this one though...just flurries in Madison today while 20 miles south had storm totals of over a foot. Crazy stuff. If I had to guess, I think West Bend or Waukesha is "winning" this year based on that extra 10" or so from November 30, but I only have data for the big cities.

By the way, a quick fluffy 2-4" from a clipper is possible Monday. The coldest night of the week should be Thursday night--even Milwaukee could get to 10 below with 20 below in the country.

Archived