Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66
Community Moderator
Looks like the main snow band has developed across Iowa and is slowly pushing northward. I would definitely expect convective snow if it maintains its strength. However, it is still several hours away--maybe to the WI/IL border by 10 PM.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Thundersnow!!!!! Yes!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not looking forward to a long wait for the bus in the morning (because state agencies will not close), or to having to work all day when oodles of people around me will have or take a snow day - but some good ol' thundersnow would go a long way toward making the hassle more worthwhile.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This would be uncommon, if it comes to pass:

Snow could force University of Wisconsin -Madison to alter finals schedule

Of course, this will all but guarantee a resounding "dud" storm (as I think NeedMoreFans put it earlier this week). And it doesn't mean the university would 'shut down.'

UW-Madison decided not to change its exam schedule for today. They claim that campus crews are keeping up with plowing and clearing. I guess I'll see for myself in an hour or two, provided the "10-15 minute" delay for Madison Metro is accurate.

Madison K-12 schools are closed, though, and presumably few if any are open.

Edit: as of 6:05 AM, snow is falling heavily in Madison and is quite windblown. It looks impressive, I have to say.

The weather guy on the radio in Madison just said there was a thunderstorm in Milwaukee. You guys get thundersnow. I'm slightly jealous.

On a relatively happy note, our next door neighbor with the new snowblower is still blowing our sidewalk and driveway as well as his. We have to find him a super duper Christmas gift.

The lightning and thunder while shoveling (i'm sure I"ll spend all day shoveling) was crazy! UWM has cancelled all final exams today - they'll be held tomorrow. Offices are still open but I'm not going in. My neighborhood actually smells like burning rubber from all the cars spinning their tires.

It's my son's first snow day on the last day of school. Longer winter break.

I went out to shovel in Muskego at 6:45 and there was probably 10 inches, and it's still really coming down. Got about a third of the driveway shoveled and took a break. Good thing it's fluffy snow. I wouldn't be able to shovel it, if it was any heavier.

I clambered over to Monroe Street (2 blocks away) at about 7:25 this morning, figuring some bus would come by sometime. Within 10 minutes, there were two in a row. I opted for the second one and had a spacious and almost leisurely ride in (3 riders + the driver).

On Mills St, just off Johnson, a bus was stuck. I couldn't see the route number; the route sign was stuck on the "Happy Holidays" message.

For the small part of campus sidewalks that I took so far today, snow removal is really at a pretty decent level, considering how much fell and how recently. Walking through Library Mall between Humanities and the Historical Society, it was apparent that that path had been plowed, but was already drifting partially shut.

And of course, hardly anyone is at the library today. This will be just an excellent use of my time.

Archived