Brewer Fanatic

Wisconsin Winter Weather Thread 08-09 Version

RyDogg66

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how does one "turn off" their outside faucets? Keep in mind that I live in AZ and have never had to do this, nor do I remember my father doing so in Wisconsin when I was a kid. (He probably did do it, I just never saw him do it.) Since I don't know how, perhaps others do not either--just trying to offer a little public service request.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

how does one "turn off" their outside faucets? Keep in mind that I live in AZ and have never had to do this, nor do I remember my father doing so in Wisconsin when I was a kid. (He probably did do it, I just never saw him do it.) Since I don't know how, perhaps others do not either--just trying to offer a little public service request.
There's a valve in the basement right inside where the pipe goes trough the wall to the faucet. You close the inside valve and open the outside valve to drain all water. That prevents the pipe from freezing and breaking.

There should be some interesting driving conditions this year. Since they used so much salt last year there is a shortage this year and the authorities up by me are already saying they are going to be very strict with their salt use, so expect to drive on some snow more often

I want it to snow before Thanksgiving, but only enough to cover the ground for hunting. I'd like a few inches on the ground for Christmas (mostly from one Friday night-Saturday morning snowfall), because that is just how it has to be. I'll take a few more inches in January, maybe enough to get the 'Bilers a week of fun. After that it can go away. I had enough snow last year. Give me some good ice to fish on and I'll be happy.

Is that too much to ask?

While I want it to [expletive] for deer hunting I am with fortheloveofweeks...I do not want as much [expletive] this year so the ice is stronger on the lakes!!
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I vote that we ban anyone that posts GARBAGE like what bball123h just did. Not funny...or nice!!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:s6fLFkfiboFQ0M:http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Misc/BANHAMMER.png

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I two people on seperate occasions tell me that they heard we were going to get more snow this year than last year. I had to remind them that it was pretty unlikely since last year was the 2nd highest snow fall total on record in Milwaukee. So, if we do get more snow than last year, you can blame me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I vote that we ban anyone that posts GARBAGE like what bball123h just did. Not funny...or nice!!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:s6fLFkfiboFQ0M:http://sarge.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Misc/BANHAMMER.png

Instead of a ban, everyone needs to gang up on him in July when it is beautiful here and unbearably hot there,

It all evens out. We also don't have to deal with the Hurricanes

There's a valve in the basement right inside where the pipe goes trough the wall to the faucet. You close the inside valve and open the outside valve to drain all water. That prevents the pipe from freezing and breaking.
thanks for the info. I do remember seeing those valves in the basement wall now that you mentioned it.

Not that I'd need it here (although, it does get below freezing on many nights in the "winter" here), but I wonder how I'd turn them off in our house since we don't have a basement and I've never seen any valves to turn off anywhere. I realize that 96% of the time in AZ, I don't need it. I'd hate for pipes to bust though and there's nothing that I could do to prevent it. I'd assume the pipes are insulated to prevent a freak freeze?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Yeah, I can't really say I'm envious of people who live in Texas or Arizona when it comes to weather. I don't really mind winter, although last year really pushed my patience with it. Now San Diego sounds pretty nice.

That said, I really enjoy the four seasons. I couldn't imagine Christmas without any snow. I like getting out and ice fishing (in January, not April). Summer wouldn't be special at all if it lasted all year long.

I was in Arkansas a few years back between Christmas and New Year. It was only a few days, so I don't know if this is typical, but it was like a high of 55 degrees and grey and overcast every day. With no snow on the ground you just saw dead grass and dirt. It wasn't very aesthetically pleasing. Again, I was only there for 4 days so I don't know how typical that is, but I'd take Wisconsin over that for sure.

Like fortheloveofweeks, I'm a confirmed fan of the four seasons, even though some of the extremes are not always enjoyable. I really get wilted by heat and humidity, so I tend to not mind winter that much. But last winter began to challenge even me (check last year's winter weather thread for evidence). I got through it by choosing to view it as a weather adventure: how high can we pile shoveled snow in our rather small yard? or, how interesting, to have the snow piled at curbs so high that I have to actually step down to get from the snow piled at the bus stop to the bus door?

As winter weather thread readers might recall from earlier this calendar year, I was rooting for Madison to break its season snowfall record, and then rooting for 100 inches - because why not at least have a record to show for all the hassles? I don't mind some snow, but I am certainly not in need of a new snowfall record anymore.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

Good news for those who hate winter: despite all of the rumors going around, the official forecast is forabove normal temperatures this winter.

The latest Winter Outlook from NOAA's Climate Prediction Center indicates a 50 percent or greater chance of above normal temperatures across southern Wisconsin. Since this forecast is based on statistics, there remains around a 16 percent chance of below normal temperatures, and around a 33 percent chance of near normal temperatures. Thus, the forecast favors an increased chance of above normal temperatures. The outlook for precipitation shows equal chances of above, below, or near normal precipitation, which means there is no clear climate signal pointing to one scenario more than another. This would suggest a milder, and possibly not as snowy of a 2008-09 winter, when compared to last winter. This does not mean we will escape big snowstorms, or a blast of arctic air from time to time. It just means that when averaged over the season, temperatures could be above normal. Again, there is some uncertainty as to which way the precipitation amounts will trend.

Every year around this time I think about getting a snowblower, then decide not to spend the money on it. Spending an hour shoveling each time it snowed really wasn't fun last year. I hate getting up early, and my back didn't like shoveling much either. Still won't get a snowblower though, unles anyone wants to sell me one super cheap http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Here's hoping for almost no snow.

In late spring (after all the snow finally melted), we found a roof rake in our garage that had been left behind by the previous owners of our house. It was up in the rafters, which is why we didn't see it (and perhaps why they didn't take it when they moved).

Silver lining for this winter - we've got a roof rake in case we need it. Last winter would have been an excellent time to know that we had it, though.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I've been busting my tail all summer, sealing off air leaks in the attic, adding more insulation and adding more ventilation to the attic. I found some parts with no insulation, some major gaps, and clogged vents. I'm hoping this will all pay off and I won't have to be roof raking and breaking up ice dams all winter long. And the lower energy bills will be nice too.

I don't mind shoveling, but shoveling a foot of wet, heavy snow regularly got old last year. And I absolutely hate roof raking, but it was a necessary evil.

Bring on the winter. Fall, winter, and spring are all great seasons. The only reason I tolerate summer is because there is no school. That is it's one saving grace. Anyways, good to see some fellow fishermen/hunters here. I thought I was the only one.

Archived