Brewer Fanatic

Sheets watch (closed in deference to new thread)

yoshii8
I'd think the only realistic way they wouldn't offer him arby is if the injury would cause him to miss nearly the entire season. The only other way I see it happening (but not so realistic) is if CC does somehow re-sign, and we don't want to risk Sheets accepting and being on the hook for like 35 million between the two.

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. I think in the unlikely event that CC comes back, Sheets would be extremely unlikely to return. Although it would certainly be nice having that 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation again.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. I think in the unlikely event that CC comes back, Sheets would be extremely unlikely to return. Although it would certainly be nice having that 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation again.

Not only that but our 1-2-3 would be Sabathia/Sheets/Gallardo. That's insane.

The only other way I see it happening (but not so realistic) is if CC does somehow re-sign, and we don't want to risk Sheets accepting and being on the hook for like 35 million between the two.

Even then, though, Sheets should be very easy to trade for prospects on a one year $13MM deal, so we still win. You'd have to think at least 12 teams would be willing to give up a solid prospect for Sheets. I think, like you said, the only way an offer isn't made is if there's a strong feeling that the injury will force him to miss at least 2 months (which implies he'd be shaky when he returns).

The silence on the Sheets' front is almost deafening.

I really wonder about his elbow. If he never had that last elbow injury, he would be looking at 4 year 60 million contract offers. One injury might cost him almost 50 million dollars?

I mean, if the injury was serious - wouldn't he have had surgery or something by now? (I assume no surgery means he will be ready by opening day)

"Hi, I have an injury history and I can't currently prove to you that I am good to go next year."
No - but you would think any potential suitors would want to run tests (MRI) on his elbow to see the extent of any damage.

Do we even know if any teams have gotten that far? And if they did - did they see anything that scared them?

(All moot I suppose, if we offer him arbitration on Monday - his elbow must be at least "ok")

I think he's right but wasn't Ken Rosenthal the one who said the Brewers were unlikely to even offer Sheets arbitration?

I didn't realize that Sheets had to decide on arbitration so early. Why wouldn't he decline arbitration? He can get a good one year deal anywhere.

I didn't realize that Sheets had to decide on arbitration so early. Why wouldn't he decline arbitration? He can get a good one year deal anywhere.
With the rumors that the Braves are willing to give Burnett 5 years I don't see how Sheets can't get a 3-4 year deal from a team especially the Yankees if they are willing to go 4 years with Burnett. I believe Sheets is going to get 4 years around $60 million.

Very true Russ, but on the other hand is that 1 year deal worth a draft pick? I'm not sure it is to a smaller market team, but a large market team could view him as rental to put them over the top.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Per Rosenthal's Live feed from the meetings, Sheets just arrived there a short time ago:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8912072

"There's nothing out there for me to contemplate right now," Sheets said, "so I don't know."

So he declined arby without any indication that someone was going to give a multi-year deal?

Asked if he might return to the Brewers, Sheets said, "Everything's possible. I never burn any bridges."

Nice to see that, even if it is posturing.

He can get a one year deal at $10-12m anytime, taking arby means no chance at a multiyear deal

I don't think you can say that he can get a one year deal anytime, considering he doesn't have any offers right now.

Sheets is probably going to have to wait until CC and Burnett sign before he has an understanding of what his market value will be.

Looks like we can forget about Sheets coming back. From the end of the latest blog from Haudricourt that was mostly about Sabathia, but at the end of it, the following:

"And, on another note, Melvin said he has no plans at this time to make an offer to free agent right-hander Ben Sheets, who declined the club's offer of salary arbitration. Teams can still negotiate with free agents who decline arbitration if they so choose.

"Maybe Ben feels slighted by it but we haven't approached them at this point," said Melvin."

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/brewers.html

I guess if (when) Sabathia signs with another team, they may decide to offer him a deal, but it doesn't look too promising.

Boy, that's a sudden change from Melvin saying just last night that they'd talk to Sheets' people this week. Based on that last comment, I think it's safe to say that despite Sheets' earlier quote about not burning bridges, the reports of him not wanting to come back to Milwaukee are probably true.

You never know what could happen but Sheets crying after the final game made it pretty clear that he didn't think he was coming back. I wish the playing environment had been such that he would have been compelled to come back (to some degree at least) but fans will be fans.

Archived