Brewer Fanatic

Sheets watch (closed in deference to new thread)

yoshii8

Another possible scenario?

Sheets fires his agent, comes back to Milwaukee, and claims to have "wanted to stay a Brewer the whole time."

Sheets saves face and gets a job, the team saves face and gets a pitcher, the agent takes the fall and nobody cares.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then what happens if the Mets resign Oliver Perez.

The Rangers would be the only team left that has shown even remote interest. The farther this drags on the likelihood that Sheets is a Brewer probably increases. I would suspect that Ben and his agent would have to be the one to initate contact though.

I have read every entry on this thread and am still amazed at the number of poster who would welcome Sheets back on a multi-year deal. When he became injured last season the great majority of posters couldn't wait for his contract to expire so the team could be rid of him and his injury history and spend the money elsewhere to improve the team.

Why the sudden change in attitude?

I have read every entry on this thread and am still amazed at the number of poster who would welcome Sheets back on a multi-year deal. When he became injured last season the great majority of posters named hauser and JohnBriggs couldn't wait for his contract to expire so the team could be rid of him and his injury history and spend the money elsewhere to improve the team.

Why the sudden change in attitude?

Fixed it for you. There has been a small contingent that has been anti-Sheets since about 2006, the disappear during the 150-200 innings a year he pitches and show up to complain when he gets hurt. I think most people would love to have Sheets back, as his risk of injury is about the same as any pitcher.

I would say, too, that many folks assumed that if CC and Sheets left, they would be replaced (to the extent that they could be replaced) by the signing of a competent FA starter. With that looking less and less likely, the return of Sheets -- imperfect though he may be -- looks better and better. (Of course, it's not going to happen.)

Some of us were also hoping for a trade...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Sheets fires his agent, comes back to Milwaukee, and claims to have "wanted to stay a Brewer the whole time."

Sheets saves face and gets a job, the team saves face and gets a pitcher, the agent takes the fall and nobody cares.

I don't think Sheet's agent really cares where Ben pitches as long as Ben gets paid the most he could make. My guess is that Ben closed the door on Milwaukee, and not his agent.

If something happened where Ben feels he was mismanaged by the Brewers, why would he want to come back and play if he feels as if he could get Yosted again and end his career. It seems to me Ben wants to leave Milwaukee, even if it will ultimately cost him some coin.

In either case, firing Ben's agent is probably not necessary to save face for Ben or the Brewers. Sheets will get a deal somewhere.

If something happened where Ben feels he was mismanaged by the Brewers, why would he want to come back and play if he feels as if he could get Yosted again and end his career.

Because the staff that mismanaged him is now gone? And if he was concerned about how he was handled by the coaches in Milwaukee, why would he be so interested in going to re-unite in Texas with the pitching coach that had a fairly significant hand in that mis-management?

Sheets will get a deal somewhere.

I agree completely. But it's looking increasingly likely that the deal will be for a lot less than he would have hoped for, and the more likely that seems, the more likely it is that he ends up returning to Milwaukee for another year, IMO.

Because the staff that mismanaged him is now gone?

Yost is gone, Melvin and MA are still here...

And if he was concerned about how he was handled by the coaches in Milwaukee, why would he be so interested in going to re-unite in Texas with the pitching coach that had a fairly significant hand in that mis-management?

My guess is that Sheets has an axe to grind with Yost, and the people who should have fired him much sooner.

But it's looking increasingly likely that the deal will be for a lot less than he would have hoped for, and the more likely that seems, the more likely it is that he ends up returning to Milwaukee for another year, IMO.

Maybe -- It certainly is more probable in the sense that more teams are off the table -- I think it is not overall likely though.

I think the Brewers think Ben mismanages himself--my guess is they both wrote each other off and both had some good reasons to do so.

Agreed.

I think saying the Brewers mismanaged Sheets is quite a bit of a stretch.

Oh, I think there is no doubt that they mismanaged him, he got Yosted old-school-hardcore -- especially from the perspective of Sheets -- Either Sheets has an axe to grind or is really dumb -- I think it is more of the former than the latter.

That said, I realize that this is a pretty subjective topic...

I think saying the Brewers mismanaged Sheets is quite a bit of a stretch.

I would say the thought that the Brewers didn't mismanage is a huge stretch. Too many innings in 2004, brought back too soon in 2006, pushed way too hard in the first half of 2008.

Sheets was abused many time by Yost as was Sabathia. I also feel like Sheets was never fully appreciated by the avg fan who would look at his W/L record or think he is always injured when its not true. Ben Sheets has been a great Brewer who wont be fully appreciated by most Brewers fans until he is gone.

And if he was concerned about how he was handled by the coaches in Milwaukee, why would he be so interested in going to re-unite in Texas with the pitching coach that had a fairly significant hand in that mis-management?

My guess is that Sheets has an axe to grind with Yost, and the people who should have fired him much sooner.

I realize you said it's just a guess, but I think that's a lot of speculation and I happen to disagree. How many times did we see Sheets lobby to stay in for an extra inning or extra batter? It always seemed to me like he wanted to stay in as long as they'd let him. Now it's Yost/Melvin's fault he was allowed to stay in for so long so many times, but if Sheets was lobbying for it too why would he be angry with them?

My guess (again just a guess) is that if he has any axe to grind it's with Milwaukee media and fans for not appreciating him.

And when he attempts to press it this year because of MIL's fans' incessant boos, and then must have surgery missing all of '09 and most of '10, and then has 120IP of 4.50 ball in '11, we're on the hook for $26M for that. Then again, when he puts up Harden (CHC) numbers over those three years for $32M, and then knowing we have him for another 3 years at $45M.... Again, it's a good thing I don't have to make such decisions.

But arm injury...Ben Sheets....big contract. What are the scariest mix of words in any Brewerfan's lexicon. Instead:

Aardsma, David

Aaron, Henry

It's high-risk, but potentially very high-gain. Imagine a 2011 rotation of Sheets, Gallardo, Parra, Jeffress, and Chris Cody/Tim Dillard/Villanueva/some draft pick.

I think the biggest reason that Sheets has shown little interest in the Brewers this off season is because he wants a multiyear deal and Melvin made it clear that he wouldn't offer one.

While completely possible, you'd think that as it becomes increasingly clear that no other team is willing to offer a multiyear deal either, that we'd hear more about the Brewers and Sheets reuniting.

"If something happened where Ben feels he was mismanaged by the Brewers, why would he want to come back and play if he feels as if he could get Yosted again and end his career."

If he was mismanaged by the Brewers, why would he so strongly consider going to Texas to get hooked up with the Pitching Coach who mismanaged him?

I still hold out hope we can keep him.

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

Since the Rangers seem to only want to give Big Ben a one-year deal, I wonder what, if anything, will prompt them to up it to a 2-year deal, or if they even need to as his "hometown" team and the only one seeming to show true interest. The Brewers likely won't offer two years, and we're not even sure the Mets will offer one (especially with Perez--or even Manny--still in the mix).

If he was mismanaged by the Brewers, why would he so strongly consider going to Texas to get hooked up with the Pitching Coach who mismanaged him?

Yost mismanaged things -- Maddux was just a creepy guy who'd touch your shoulder on the mound.

My guess is that (Sheets) FTJ has an axe to grind with Yost, and the people who should have fired him much sooner.

No doubt that I do -- I am sure I am not the only one.

I still hold out hope we can keep him.

Me too.

Archived