Brewer Fanatic

Sheets watch (closed in deference to new thread)

yoshii8

I agree that other teams fans would be much more grateful if Sheets would give them 125IP of 3.5 ball.

Milwaukee fans unfairly get on him for basically skipping one start and leaving starts early and that's pretty much it. I've never heard him booed on the field though (he's too good to boo when he's healthy).

The weird thing with Brewer fans, and Wisconsin fans in general, is that they get so offended by how much a struggling or injured player is making. I'll never understand it (especially a Gagne type situation where it's just a 1 year risk).

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article about Sheets by Ted Keith is on the front page of the MLB section of SI.com: Sign of the Times: Oft-injured Sheets still available. There isn't any new information, but a there are a few more quotes from Melvin confirming the lack of discussion between Sheets and the Brewers.

The weird thing with Brewer fans, and Wisconsin fans in general, is that they get so offended by how much a struggling or injured player is making.

I still think it was a shame that Sheets didn't get a full standing ovation as he walked off the field after what was potentially his last start as a Brewer at Miller Park this past year. It's amazing that people turn so quickly on a player just because he gets injured. Lest we forget that he started the All-Star game this past year.

It is getting awfully close to Spring Training yet Sheets and Oliver Perez still remain unsigned. Maybe I just have a short memory but I can't remember that 2 pitchers of this quality are still available at the end of January. At this point I wouldn't be all the suprised if he waits for an injury in Spring Training before he signs with someone. That might actually be his best bet for maximizing his contract.

I would still love him back and would certainly give him a 2 year contract, but it isn't up to the fans. It appears that Doug has other plans, plus to sign Sheets we would probably have to trade someone anyways.

An article about Sheets by Ted Keith is on the front page of the MLB section of SI.com: Sign of the Times: Oft-injured Sheets still available. There isn't any new information, but a there are a few more quotes from Melvin confirming the lack of discussion between Sheets and the Brewers.

The weird thing with Brewer fans, and Wisconsin fans in general, is that they get so offended by how much a struggling or injured player is making.

I still think it was a shame that Sheets didn't get a full standing ovation as he walked off the field after what was potentially his last start as a Brewer at Miller Park this past year. It's amazing that people turn so quickly on a player just because he gets injured. Lest we forget that he started the All-Star game this past year.

You may want to fix the italics in this post. I thought it was a quote from someone in the article you linked. Maybe it is and I missed it. Usually italics indicates you are quoting someone or giving attention to part of a quote. Just confusing if those are your words (I tend to agree with them) or someone elses like Melvin or the writer of the article.

I still think it was a shame that Sheets didn't get a full standing ovation as he walked off the field after what was potentially his last start as a Brewer at Miller Park this past year.

How did we know it was his last start though? We thought there was a good chance he would be back but didn't find out he wouldn't until later.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

logan3825[/b]]I still think it was a shame that Sheets didn't get a full standing ovation as he walked off the field after what was potentially his last start as a Brewer at Miller Park this past year.

How did we know it was his last start though? We thought there was a good chance he would be back but didn't find out he wouldn't until later.

He started the second to last regular season home game with the Brewer's playoff future still uncertain. That particular outing was bad for him and he walked off to a mixture of boos and cheers. Despite his performance that day I figured he would have received at least a Jenkins like sendoff for his 8 year career with the Crew.

And as far as the quoting goes, Rydogg, I figured I didn't need to use a quote box for the last sentence of the previous post. A great sentence, btw, Gobias.

Anyone catch Hot Stove on MLB last night or this morning? They went over the current FA pitchers, the market for them, and where they may end up. Talked about maybe 8 of the top FA pitchers. Didn't even mention sheets. I think he's hurt more than we think. Seems as if no team is considering him. I've heard that the Mets will take a look at him if they can't get Perez back. Just seems funny that we seem to think Sheets is atleast one of the 2 or 3 best FA pitchers left and this show doesn't even think he's worth mentioning.

I know the free-agent market has changed drastically this offseason, but how can the Brewers not sign Sheets for 2/18? Unless he is hurt,that is a considerably low risk at that price and length of contract. I am getting more and more pissed each day at the prospect of our rotation staying pat into the season. I know the Brewers want to maintain payroll "flexibility" to sign a player if need be during the season, but that is going to require giving up more prospects.

Plus, if the Yankees end up signing Sheets, the Brewers will only get a 4th rounder for him. The laughable part is that Sheets will be making about 2/3rds of Suppan's salary this season (at least projections indicate that). I liked the Suppan signing at first reaction, but after about a week, I really thought that it was a mistake long-term and now we can clearly see that his contract is hindering the Brewers ability to better the team. Most of the pieces are in place and it would be a shame to go into this season with a rotation that is inexperienced and suspect on the back-end at best.

If I had my choice, I would have put Hoffmann's 6+ million toward Sheets and had McClung or CV close out games. I am getting more nervous with each passing day. I hope the Brewers can patch things up with Sheets and get it done.

I wonder if Ben's camp is really regretting turning down arby?
I kind of wonder what would have happened if he did accept arby and got $12M or whatever. Since our payroll is maxed out without him I imagine the previously speculated Cameron for Cabrera trade would have been completed. Payroll would have had to been cut somewhere thats for sure. We also probably would not have signed Hoffman

At this point I think I would rather have Cameron starting in CF and Hoffman as our closer than have Sheets for 20-25 starts, Melky Cabrera starting in CF, and who knows as our closer.

Archived