Brewer Fanatic

Sheets watch (closed in deference to new thread)

yoshii8
  • Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well with Lowe signing with Atlanta that is one more potential suitor gone.

It really seems like it is the Rangers or bust for Sheets at this point. There is no else out there that is interested and has the budget to take the risk.

It was my understanding that the Rangers probably didn't even have the budget.

I guess I'm frustrated by what seems to be soap opera-esque aspects of this; it seems there's something personal about all this.

I think most projected systems use a weighted average IP over the last 3 years. Something like 50/30/20. If Sheets pitched 230 innings next year, his projected IP would shoot up drastically.

Let's face it, though, you can't project injury time very well at all. It's an educated guess. It can't be ignored, though.

Which is why AJ Burnett got so much money!

I guess I don't see the Yankees as a team all that concerned with silly things like value for dollar spent like most teams do. I don't think that comparison is as good as your comparison of Sheets to Lowe. Lowe just signed for 4 years 60 Million. According to you Sheets be as valuable. Why is it we don't see teams lining up to give him that? Might just be health matters more to most teams than statistics do.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It was my understanding that the Rangers probably didn't even have the budget.

I guess I'm frustrated by what seems to be soap opera-esque aspects of this; it seems there's something personal about all this.

With the Braves signing Lowe and the Rangers not having the budget, the Brewers and Sheets should both suck it up and agree on a 1 year deal.

And yeah Series, I to am starting to wonder if there is not some kind of personal issue with this entire situation. Whatever, I want Ben back.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The Mets are evidently in the mix now for Sheets. They have, of course, already signed a Type A with an Elias ranking higher than Sheeter in the form of Francisco Rodriguez so we'd only get their second round pick. If it came down to only the Mets and Rangers, I'd take the Rangers so we'd get a higher pick in the second round and not have to face him once or twice for the next year or two.

The odds of the Brewers getting a first rounder for Sheets are probably pretty low anyway. Out of the top half of the league, many have already signed a type A higher than Sheets and/or don't have the need or budget for him.

I wonder how much Ben's Type A status has on his perspective teams? I would imagine that most teams would prefer to sign a "sure thing" if they are giving up a draft pick and Sheets is far from a sure thing. I think the Mets were also looking at resigning Oliver Perez but I can't remember hearing anything about him recently. If Sheets thinks Milwaukeans gave him a hard time about injuries I can't imagine New Yorkers will be any more hospitable. But then again any team that signs Sheets knows his injury history so they shouldn't be all that suprised if something does happen. (I can't specifically remember if Sheets ever gave the fans crap for calling him injury prone)

Big Market teams do build through the draft, but not with their own draft picks. Usually, because in years past they have bought up all the good free agents, even when they dont want to retain them they offer them arbitration and when another team signs that player they are awarded multiple draft picks, usually equal or better to the ones they lose from signing new players. This is what the Yankees and Red Sox have been doing for years. Then the media (national and others) hype the prospects and they are traded to the likes of the Pirates and Phillies for real players with high salaries.

So, no, big market teams dont have any problem giving up draft picks, you are right, but they still do build though the draft, just in a different way than the Brewers do.

I wouldn't say that all big market teams disregard draft picks. Boston immediately comes to mind as a big market team that builids a lot around the draft. But you are probably right, most large market teams are always in Win Now mode so it makes sense for them to reap the immediate benefits of signing a Type A instead of waiting 3-5 years for that draft pick to possibly pay off in the big leagues.

found this in Brian Anderson's blog:

Free agent Ben Sheets has informed the Brewers that he is going in a different direction.
so that should put an end to his return. I can't believe he would just flat out tell them that he doesn't want to come back though, especially since it doesn't seem like teams are beating down his door to sign him to a large deal.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Free agent Ben Sheets has informed the Brewers that he is going in a different direction.

So would a "different direction" indicate he is looking from moving from the DL to the mound?

I can't believe he would just flat out tell them that he doesn't want to come back though, especially since it doesn't seem like teams are beating down his door to sign him to a large deal.

I suspect he has teams interested in him, but perhaps everyone was waiting were the Lowe's and Smoltz's ended up first.

He probably is not going to get a large deal from anyone, but he is certainly assured a 2 year deal at least from someone.

Well, that should put away the assumption some still were holding to that the two sides would somehow reconcile, and Sheets would remain a Brewer. Now what does Melvin do...try to still sign someone like Looper (although he doesn't sound like an option either at this point), or just roll the dice and go into the season with the rotation as is? I'm guessing the latter at this juncture.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Now what does Melvin do...try to still sign someone like Looper (although he doesn't sound like an option either at this point), or just roll the dice and go into the season with the rotation as is? I'm guessing the latter at this juncture.
I believe Melvin will look at the available starters Wolf, Looper, and others and then look into the trade route to see if there are any pitchers available in a trade. The rotation we have right now is probably what it will be on opening day.

found this in Brian Anderson's blog:

so that should put an end to his return. I can't believe he would just flat out tell them that he doesn't want to come back though, especially since it doesn't seem like teams are beating down his door to sign him to a large deal.

I've suspected since during last season that Sheets wasn't interested in playing in Milwaukee anymore and money wasn't the main reason

Now what does Melvin do...try to still sign someone like Looper (although he doesn't sound like an option either at this point), or just roll the dice and go into the season with the rotation as is? I'm guessing the latter at this juncture.
I believe Melvin will look at the available starters Wolf, Looper, and others and then look into the trade route to see if there are any pitchers available in a trade. The rotation we have right now is probably what it will be on opening day.

I'll be shocked if we don't add any more players capable of starting in the big leagues, but you may be right as in we may only have the money or ability to bring in a #6 or #7 guy in a McClung mold, thus leaving the OD rotation without an upgrade. I'm still holding out a little hope DM can bring someone in to solidify the starting 5.

Good Luck Benny! It's too bad the love between the Crew and Sheets wasn't stronger....he could have saved a weak starting rotation. As much as I'm going to miss Benny (as he was no doubt fun to watch when he was healthy), I'm not going to miss the anxiety of losing him for the season everytime he stepped up to the mound or hacked at a slider.

I don't know who Melvin is going to bring in, but he will add one more SP...I highly doubt it's going to be via the Free Agent market. My money is on him making a trade for a young stud or a young #2-4 rotation gapper.

Best wishes Benny and Cheers kid!

The irony of this situation is that I wonder if Sheets isnt a little upset that last year we acquired Sabathia and he became the darling of the franchise by carrying us to the playoffs while Sheets became forgotten and people started to feel bitter about him for getting hurt; now if Sheets were to resign, stay healthy and pitch like Ben Sheets he could carry us into October and beyond and basically be the greatest thing to happen to Brewers baseball since the mid-80s. I would have to think that a full year of Sheets + a full year of Gallardo = 1/2 year Sabathia and 3/4 year Sheets from lats year.

You guys feel better about the current rotation than I do. I guess it might be OK to start out with the current 5 in April, but I just don't see how they are going to crank out 30-ish starts each through September.

I have kind of groaned at the idea of Wolf, but he's actually . . . well, he's not absolutely horrible. He pitched well enough last year to get 33 starts. (This is in no way to be taken as a ringing endorsement, obviously.)

The irony of this situation is that I wonder if Sheets isnt a little upset that last year we acquired Sabathia and he became the darling of the franchise by carrying us to the playoffs while Sheets became forgotten and people started to feel bitter about him for getting hurt; now if Sheets were to resign, stay healthy and pitch like Ben Sheets he could carry us into October and beyond and basically be the greatest thing to happen to Brewers baseball since the mid-80s. I would have to think that a full year of Sheets + a full year of Gallardo = 1/2 year Sabathia and 3/4 year Sheets from lats year.
IF Brittle Ben had pitched well when CC was here maybe the Brewers would have won the division, but he failed to produce good outings time after time.

Yes I might be the biggest Sheet hater on this board and glad to see he is moving in a different direction. Let some other team deal with him and his injuries. Maybe it was bad mojo or something but Ben Sheets was never going to reach the heights that he should have in Brew Town.

Melvin will find away to get an arm or two in before the season starts Yo and Parra at this point are the arms that will lead the Brewers future and I feel they are ready to handle it.

Archived