Brewer Fanatic

Sheets watch (closed in deference to new thread)

yoshii8
  • Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently, from looking at Melvin's comments, Sheets has to announce that he wants to return to Milwaukee. At that point, Melvin will speak with the agent. ?
Why wouldn't he? Melvin said that he and Ash met with Sheets and his agent at the Winter Meetings. At this point, Melvin has made an offer that Sheets refused. If Sheets wants to come back and play for one year, he needs to let the Brewers know.

I would do 2 years 20 million. He would have received 12 by accepting arbitration.

I also still don't think we've seen the best Sheets has to offer.

We've seen it. It was in 2004. He wont touch that again, which is fine. I'll take 185 innings and a 3.00 ERA from him anyday.

kramnoj wrote:

Why wouldn't he? Melvin said that he and Ash met with Sheets and his agent at the Winter Meetings. At this point, Melvin has made an offer that Sheets refused. If Sheets wants to come back and play for one year, he needs to let the Brewers know.

I don't think they offered a contract of any sort at the winter meetings. Sheets has only been offered arbitration, that's it.

He would have received 12 by accepting arbitration.

How do we know that? That just seems to be speculation on Tom Haudricourt's part.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't think they offered a contract of any sort at the winter meetings. Sheets has only been offered arbitration, that's it.

I didn't say that they offered a contract at the winter meetings. Melvin told TH that Melvin and Ash had met with Sheets and the agent during the Winter Meetings. I only brought up the meeting as some evidence that there exists some basic relationship with Melvin and Sheets, and that there isn't much reason to think that Melvin wouldn't pick up the phone if Sheets agent called.

Melvin offered Sheets the $12+ mil he would have got on a one year deal, had he accepted arbitration. If anything, Sheets probably just confirmed he wanted a multiyear deal, when they talked during the winter meeting. There's really not much to talk about at this point.

I'll take 185 innings and a 3.00 ERA from him anyday.

If that is a reasonable expectation, and 2/$20M would get it done, I'd probably take it too. Again though, people need to ask themselves why, if that is indeed a reasonable expectation, why he is not already a Cub, Yankee, White Sox, Red Sox, etc...Teams with reasonable, but not exceptional pitching depth that could cover the extra innings, World Series aspirations, and money to burn. Draft pick compensation is a factor I know, but if those teams don't seem willing to take the risk, why would the Brewers...a team with little pitching depth and little money to spare?

The brewers would because it wouldn't cos them their number one pick. Sure, they don't get the extra pick, but losing an extra one seems like less cost than giving your original pick up.

I'm still not sure why the yankees haven't had more interest. It would cost them a 4th rounder at this point, which would be really sad.

If the brewers did sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal, I wouldn't doubt he would still be a type-A after his contract is over.

Melvin offered Sheets the $12+ mil he would have got on a one year deal, had he accepted arbitration.

Technically this isn't true (entirely) -- Sheets would have submitted an Arby's figure to counter the $12M (say $15M?), and then the arbitrator would have decided what salary to award Sheets.

$12M would have been the WORST Sheets could have gotten, he could have won a larger amount in the Arby's process -- or forced DM to meet him in the middle, in a pre-Arby's negotiation.

FTJ,

That's why I put $12+ mil. No way Sheets would have gotten a paycut, no matter how it went down. Well, I guess it could have gone to arbitrion and Sheets could have asked for $25 mil http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I dont know about less than zero. That seems to imply that Sheets would rather not play in 2009 than play of the Brewers - that seems a bit excessive.

Also, why does this situation, to me, seem like some sort of bad breakup between a couple. They break-up (season ends), there are some tears, one party offers to give it another try (offers arbitration), the other side doesnt accept the offer to reconcile, then regrets it but is too proud to come back and ask for another shot, while the party that offered to reconcile still would like to but figures they made their pitch and it is up to the other side to come back to them.

I wish Melvin would say "we are not interested in bringing him back" or "He told us he doesnt want to play here." Unless that is the case, just pick up the phone and see where they are at.

Sheets is projected to only pitch 150-160 IP next year, which is why he's only worth around $15 mil, according to the stat guys. Furthermore, for a multiyear deal, he's projected to pitch 10% less innings for each subsequent year. That all sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Archived