Brewer Fanatic

Sheets watch (closed in deference to new thread)

yoshii8

Sheets and his agents have all the medical information everyone else has. They still decided to decline arbitration.

Good point. I would also go a step further to say, that Sheet's agent would have made some preliminary phone calls to get some type of idea of the market demand for Sheets.

My guess with Tex, Burnett and CC (up until recently) being still on the FA table, teams wanted to see what happened first with those guys.

To argue against Russ's point, about the only thing that makes sense, is that Sheet's doctors probably look at the "x-rays" more optimistically, and the team's doctors take a much more cautious approach. Perhaps Sheets will need to submit himself to physicals and/or workouts.

Mostly though, I just think Sheets wasn't the biggest FA, and would probably not be signed until some of the bigger ones set the bar.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on the Sheets Watch via MLBtraderumors.com

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman:

There's no evidence Ben Sheets has received any proposals for two years or more yet, though he's drawing interest from at least the Rangers and Yankees, and very likely his old Brewers team, as well.

As Heyman says, Sheets' timing was terrible. If his flexor tendon injury had occurred in April and he finished the season strong, he might've been looking at three or four years. Instead, the lingering memory of the September injury had a huge effect on his market despite the fact that he made 31 starts in 2008. Heyman says the Yankees may wait to bid on Sheets until they hear Andy Pettitte's decision.

As Sheets is a Type A free agent offered arbitration, the Brewers could swipe a first-round pick if he signs elsewhere. Assuming they can't sign him, they have to be rooting for a new team to jump into the fray since they wouldn't get a first-round pick from the Rangers or Yankees.

It's not going to happen. I just think Ben really doesn't want to come back to Milwaukee, for whatever reasons. If he had interest, Melvin probably would have made him an offer by now. It's been said a million times lately, but "It takes two to tango."
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I really think Ben thinks he's under appreciated here. I'm sure he could hear people all over complaining about how "brittle" he is.

But I do think we need to offer a 3 year deal here. Maybe 2 years with a player option.

2009- 12 million

2010- 14 million

2011- 14 million- with player option

The only other way we acquire a frontline starter will be though trade. I just don't think we can afford losing Prince, Hardy, or Hart. People say they want Fielder gone, but who in the heck is gonna hit right handed pitching?

They already signed 2 type A's and can only sign one more.
Don't they get to "net" the number of type As that they lost versus what they signed? If so, didn't the Yankees have more type As that would allow them to sign more than 3 type As (or were all their free agents type Bs)?

From the Elias thread, it would appear that the Yankees had four type A free agents: Abreu, Pettite, Mussina, and Marte.

I just dont buy that his feelings are so hurt that he wont even consider us. Its in his best interest to have as many offers on the table as possible. I just dont believe that he told Doug he wasnt interested and Doug said "ok...". There is no way he wouldn't want to at least hear our offer. Its gotta be the Brewers that are choosing not to make an offer or telling him they'd offer him something stupid like 1/10. All signs point towards it being the Brewers choosing not to get in the mix and that upsets me.

But I do think we need to offer a 3 year deal here. Maybe 2 years with a player option.

2009- 12 million

2010- 14 million

2011- 14 million- with player option

This doesn't make much sense. This is something that seemingly the entire league, including teams who can afford to take chances/make mistakes are unwilling to do, and you are suggesting the Brewers who are more familiar with his injury status/history than anyone do it?

Like I've said a few times I think Ben's injury status is why he's not getting multi-year offers. I'm not saying it's very serious (I have no clue), but I'm guessing since he's been labeled 'injury prone' and coming off an injury teams just flat out don't know enough to make an offer Sheets seems to be looking for. I've been just as frustrated as any poster here with Sheets' injuries, but if he would take a 2-year deal I would do it. I just get the feeling his injury is more serious than any of us know, but at the same time Sheets or his agent must have thought/believed they'd be able to still get a multi year deal.

I would do a 2 year $25 - $30 million deal. The only thing though that makes me think it's not going to happen is that Sheets doesn't want to be in Milwaukee or didn't realize what his market value would be.

Would a player option make sense here? Would Sheets would take $14 or 15-million this year with a player-option for the next (maybe also in that $15-million range)?

I think this is the way to go. Not much to dislike about this if you are Sheets, and it gets the deal done on the Brewers end without dropping huge money. There is some risk that he could have a big injury next year, but I think it's an acceptable risk. This option is much better than giving a mediocre pitcher like Garland, Perez or Fuentes 8 figures for four years.

I think there is a lot to dislike about it if you are Sheets, look at the money Burnett just got. How is Sheets not even worth 2(+) years? I'd absolutely do 2/30 for Sheets. I've said it before and I stand by it, I'd do 3/42, even if he makes 25 starts I'd take that. If he stays healthy its a very nice contract for the Brewers. I think he'd change his mind pretty quick about not wanting to come here if we have the best offer and with the lack of interest and offers(from what we know) I see no reason to not have a decent offer out there. (For all we know Doug did offer something like 2/30, I'm assuming he didnt)

I think there is a lot to dislike about it if you are Sheets, look at the money Burnett just got. How is Sheets not even worth 2(+) years? I'd absolutely do 2/30 for Sheets.
Like many have said, it's all about timing. If he would've gotten this injury in April and missed a month and then pitched 180 innings from May until the end of the year without getting hurt, he would've been looking at at least four years.

Via MLBTR.....

Joel Sherman of the New York Post is "hearing from multiple sources that the Yankees will have nothing to do with Ben Sheets" given his health concerns. They don't want another health risk in the rotation after signing A.J. Burnett. Aside from cautious interest from the Rangers, it's been quiet on the Sheets front.

I've always hated the idea of sheets going to the pin stripes. If this is true, this is great news as we will most likely get a better draft choice (Texas will still not provide a 1st rounder though, but it's better than a 3rd if he went to NY)

Declining arby doesn't affect much rules-wise. It used to be that players who declined wouldn't be able to re-sign with their previous team after the first week in January. The current CBA has tossed that out.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived