Brewer Fanatic

Sheets watch (closed in deference to new thread)

yoshii8

Since CC has his own thread, I think our staff ace over the last 8 seasons hitting free agency deserves one also. So far all I've seen is that Melvin said that they will talk to Sheets and gauge his interest in coming back, I'm not sure exactly what that means.

How much will he get, and where will he end up?

I'm not even sure if he would be interested in returning, but I am definitely in favor of bringing him back. I think he will end up getting a deal in the 3/40 range, and I hope its with the Brewers.

Reasons to re-sign Sheets:
-Probably the second best starting pitcher available this off-season
-Very good in the clubhouse, and always gives you a good chance to win when healthy
-Won't cost any draft picks to sign
-Will be much cheaper than Sabathia, while providing close to the same results

Reasons to not re-sign Sheets:
-Injury prone
-Might need a change of scenery
-If the Brewers sign Sabathia
-Will gain draft picks if he signs elsewhere
-If someone offers him more than 4 years and overpays for him

----------------------------
Moderator note: This topic is now removed from the Designated Threads List. --1992

New thread: Sheets watch, Part 2: May need surgery, Brewers may need to pay for it (now added to Designated Threads List)

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Brewers could get him for like 3/40million, that would be great. I just think some stupid team is going to ignore his injury history and sign him to something like 4/60million, or something along those lines. At that point, the Brewers should just say "Thanks for your services, Ben," and bid him adieu.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm pretty sure that he never said he won't come back, but rather that he didn't want to sign during the season because he will test free agency. I think it was articles by jsonline saying there is almost no chance of him coming back.

I'm pretty sure that he never said he won't come back, but rather that he didn't want to sign during the season because he will test free agency. I think it was articles by jsonline saying there is almost no chance of him coming back.
I guess I should have said he "imtimated" he wouldn't be back. I'm not suggesting he wants to leave, only that he sensed there was no chance anything could work out. He's one of my favorite Brewers and pitchers of all time.

I think Sheets has gotten the feeling that he's not going to be given a competitive offer from the Brewers and he's probably right.

3/40 is not going to do it. If Sheets would accept that, Melvin should hand deliver the cash today (provided that his injury shows no signs of being anything other than what it was reported to be). At $13/year, he could average about 125 IP/year and still be worth it.

4/60 would even be very tempting to me, altough every year added increases the risk exponentially. But consider if Sheets did this:

YR/ERA/IP

09/3.5/180

10/3.6/180

11/3.6/150

12/3.8/50

Without running any numbers, I'd think he would have earned that $60 mil (at least with regard to the free agency market). I wouldn't hold it against Melvin for not wanting to tie up that much cash on one guy, though.

I think the best thing that could happen for the Brewers is that Sheets doesn't get a good offer because of his current injury and he decides to accept abritration. 1/15?

I think the best thing that could happen for the Brewers is that Sheets doesn't get a good offer because of his current injury and he decides to accept abritration. 1/15?
Yeah, that would be a no-brainer at that point. That scenario doesn't seem to be a total impossibility either.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think Sheets could be back in the scenario rluz so capably laid out. If he finds the market a little wary of his injury history he may think it's a worthwhile risk to take a one year deal and try to boost his marketability next year. It was worthwhile for Kerry Wood to do so. What we do have going for us is a good team to play on and familiarity.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The way he was talking in interviews at the end of the season, he sounded like he already had one foot out the door. Usually guys spout cliches as to how they would love to come back, but Sheets did not. I think he probably already knows where he is going to end up.

I think Sheets could be back in the scenario rluz so capably laid out. If he finds the market a little wary of his injury history he may think it's a worthwhile risk to take a one year deal and try to boost his marketability next year. It was worthwhile for Kerry Wood to do so. What we do have going for us is a good team to play on and familiarity.
No way would i take a one year deal if i was Sheets unless that's all he was offered. Even if Ben took one year and stayed healthy enough to pitch say 210-220 innings, GM's aren't just going to forget all his past injury problems and thus throw a huge 4-5 year deal at him. I'd take the longest offer if i was Sheets, of course that also would depend on wanting to play and live in the city making the offer.

Ben is 30 years old and has had a myriad of various injuries, grabbing the most possible guaranteed right now IMO would be the wise choice. If say the best multi-year offer he gets is 3yr/45-50 million, i'd take that over a one year deal and then hope and pray that another injury doesn't pop up that really scares away future suitors. Add another 45-50 million to the 40 he made on his last contract and Ben will have made enough that he won't ever have to worry about money again, along with being able to help any family/friends he wants to.

Plus, i'd assume that in any contract he signs this offseason in the 3 year range, he'll be able to add in a player/team option for another year that could vest into being guaranteed if he meets some innings requirements.

Add another 45-50 million to the 40 he made on his last contract and Ben will have made enough that he won't ever have to worry about money again, along with being able to help any family/friends he wants to.

I think the money he made already is why he can take a chance at much more later. I think his family and friends are already tended to.

Even if Ben took one year and stayed healthy enough to pitch say 210-220 innings, GM's aren't just going to forget all his past injury problems and thus throw a huge 4-5 year deal at him

They actually probably would, especially since only 1 of the injuries was a big deal.

Ben won't get the five year for huge money he may have been looking for, but I don't see how he doesn't get at least three. He'll be the second most coveted free agent starter, even with the durability issues. I think the Brewers might be able to get a nice bargain on him assuming they don't re-sign Sabathia, but the big question is obviously whether he wants to come back.

He would probably get three at decent money or he could go one year and take a shot at 5-7 years for more money next year. It really depends on what he wants. If he's willing to wait and take a chance he can get more security and huge pay down the road or he can get partial security in the form of three'ish years at very good pay.

I think the Brewers might be able to get a nice bargain on him assuming they don't re-sign Sabathia, but the big question is obviously whether he wants to come back.

I agree Stevo. I get the impression he really doesn't want to come back. Wasn't there something about how he felt hurt that the team didn't try to extend him before the 2008 season started?

I am thinking it's more of the way he feels the city, and more importantly, some of the players have acted towards him. I don't think anyone ever came out and questioned his dedication, but I remember reading between the lines that he was getting those vibes from some teammates.

It would've been nice if the Brewers could have worked something out with him prior to this season, but I don't blame Melvin for not committing another truckload of cash before seeing if he could stay healthy for most of this year. It was kind of a lose/lose situation, I think -- either you locked him up before this year and ran the risk of him going down for an extended period of time again, or you let him play out this year before making an offer and run the risk of him staying healthy and driving up his market price.

Ben's always been one of my favorites (his pitching is what sucked me deeper into Brewer fandom after I spent much of my childhood taking only a passive interest), but I think both the front office and his people know that it's almost over in Milwaukee. You certainly get that feeling when you hear about Sheets crying as he cleaned out his locker and left the park after the NLDS.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Wasn't there something about how he felt hurt that the team didn't try to extend him before the 2008 season started?
Maybe the Brewers will name Gallardo the new staff ace and start getting him ready to take on that responsibility. Then Sheets will decide that he wants to return to the Brewers and would like his spot at the top of the rotation. The Brewers, despite the fact that they have been publicly reaffirming their commitment to Gallardo, tell Ben that he is welcome back, but he must compete for the Opening Day starter's spot. Sheets reports to spring training, but never suits up. Instead, he has a long meeting with Doug Melvin and new manager Davey Johnson, and they agree that they need to part ways. Shortly thereafter, he is traded to the Rangers.

Just before the All-Star break, Jay Glazer reports that Sheets called Pittsburgh Pirates general manager, Neal Huntington, and gave him the skinny on how the Brewers game plan for his team (only to revise his story later and admit that Huntington initiated the contact). Mike Cameron expresses his disappointment.

Add another 45-50 million to the 40 he made on his last contract and Ben will have made enough that he won't ever have to worry about money again, along with being able to help any family/friends he wants to.

I think the money he made already is why he can take a chance at much more later. I think his family and friends are already tended to.

But what if he wants to buy a majority stake in the Admirals? Will Sheets move the Admirals to whichever city he's playing in?

Yes, I think if you still worry about money after having earned $40 million you are either financially incompetent or just too greedy.

To me there's pretty much about 3 teams he'd go to. Atlanta, Milwaukee or Houston. Possibly the Rangers. Other than Milwaukee, the others are close to Louisiana, and in warmer climates.
Yankees, Mets, Phillies, and Blue Jays are also possibilities. I don't believe the Phillies are going to rely on Moyer for very long. Hamels, Sheets, Myers, Moyer, and Blanton would be a solid rotation for the Phillies next year. This would all depend on what the Phillies do with Burrel though. The Yankees would go after Sheets if they are not able to get Burnett or Sabathia.

Archived