Brewer Fanatic

Randy Johnson & Curt Schilling

If Bob Brenly is brought in as manager is there any interest in the two? I know Curt wont be able to pitch till midseason if hes able to pitch at all but Randy Johnson really intrigues me. Johnson wont be a Type A so we wouldnt lose a draft pick. His 08 numbers were solid posting a 3.91 ERA in 184 innings and even though hes lost some zip on his fastball hes still managed to strike out 173 batters. Theres some rumblings about how he might not be brought back and in that case I see him as the perfect stop gap till Jeremy Jeffress is ready in 2010.

I remember last season when he passed Clemons for 2nd place all time on the strikeout list in Miller and the type of reception he got. Randy said he would never forget that moment and how classy Milwaukee fans were for was for doing that. Do you think there is any chance he finishes his career in a Brewer uniform?

@WiscoSportsNut

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he would not be a stopgap, because Jeffress is not close enough to slot him in the rotation for 2010. Not saying that it wont happen, but pitchers are just so hit and miss, and he is still a ways off from being ready for the rotation. I would not mind Johnson coming in however, if the price is right.

With older players, esspecially older pitchers with an injury history, you are taking a big risk. Johnson could regress big time, and with his age and durability concern, he could blow his arm out in may or june. If we could get him at say 7 million with incentives, I would not mind him pitching for us. I do however think there are better options, and the Brewers would not be Johnson's first choice. He probably would like a west coast team.

I like the idea of adding Johnson. Another plus is that he is only 6 wins from 300, which would be good for ticket sales.

And while I wouldn't count on Jeffress in '10, I would count on Fielder getting traded next offseason for something good, like pitching.

I would love to have Johnson if the price is right. He would fit nicely in the lower part of the rotation. I guess I have a soft spot for the big guy...I remember being at the game a few years back at Miller Park when he hit his first (only?) MLB home run.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Major scoop here. My 11 yr old son was just having pizza at Lisa's Pizza in Shorewood and Melvin was there. My son tried to eavesdrop and the only name he could hear Melvin mention when Melvin was talking on the phone was Randy Johnson. He could not make out much else. It was an iPhone. So there you have it, it's official. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Formerly JohnStumpyPepys

I think Randy Johnson would be a great signing if we are unable to bring back Sabathia or Sheets, and Arizona decides not to resign him. I would throw him at least 10 million for one or two years, if he would be interested in coming to Milwaukee. He pitched 184 innings last season, and had very good stats. He would be risky, but could be a very good addition if he stayed healthy.

I thought I read somewhere that Randy Johnson is considering playing closer to his home. If he won't be pitching for the Diamondbacks then I believe he will stay on the west coast and joining one of those teams. The Angels and the Dodgers look to be good suitors for Johnson. I don't see Randy coming to Milwaukee.

The Angels really make sense for Randy Johnson. A team that will be competing for the World Series again next year will be an ideal situation for him and it is close to his home. Not to mention that the Angels will have a spot open for him with Garland leaving. To me the Angels will pick up Johnson and have him fill their #4 or #5 starting pitcher spot. I'm just not seeing Johnson playing for the Brewers next year.

As for Schilling I wouldn't touch him at all. I don't want Barry Bonds errr Curt Schilling on this team. Bonds and Schilling are the same players if you don't like Bonds I can't see how you would like Schilling they are one in the same.

• 3 weeks later...
Johnson and Arizona look to be through since Arizona turned down him at $8m for one season. Not quite sure why they did that given that his 300th win would mean big bucks for the DBacks in addition to him still being a good pitcher. At $10m or less for one season he is a really good buy.

Johnson and Arizona look to be through since Arizona turned down him at $8m for one season. Not quite sure why they did that given that his 300th win would mean big bucks for the DBacks in addition to him still being a good pitcher. At $10m or less for one season he is a really good buy.

I agree 100%! I hope DM at least looks into it.

The club would be much better served focusing on replacing C.C. and/or Sheets first than going after an expensive and old #4 starter. Bring up a young guy to be an end of the rotation guy. You have to figure the Yankees will out bid us for C.C, so therefore look at another #1 option on the market.

I am very intrigued by Johnson - although I really don't see why Milwaukee would be of interest to him.

It sounds like he wants to pitch two more years - this year to reach 300 victories and next year to get to 5000 Ks. I wonder if he is looking for a two year commitment...

Endaround - perhaps my #4 claim of Johnson is too low, but your #2 claim is off. If the Brewers make him their #2 SP in 2009, there will be no playoffs in Milwaukee. My point is being missed, focus on a younger top flight FA starter. Johnson only works on a team that is real close and for only one year. No way Melvin does it.

Endaround - perhaps my #4 claim of Johnson is too low, but your #2 claim is off.

I hope you realize Johnson just posted a 3.91 ERA this year and had a FIP of 3.76 so it wasn't like he was incredibly lucky to post that ERA.

If the Brewers make him their #2 SP in 2009, there will be no playoffs in Milwaukee.

Why make such a claim? We're assuming that Gallardo is replacing Sheets and coming close to matching his productivity and also hoping Parra can improve, even if it's just a little bit. Do you realize we were 49-40 before the Sabathia trade and 41-32 after it? Those are nearly identical winning percentages so it's not like we were terrible before Sabathia came. We were right in the playoff race with whichever pitcher you want to choose as our #2 starter behind Sheets last year, whether it be Bush, Parra, Suppan or McClung. Would you say that Randy Johnson is better than all of those pitchers?

My point is being missed, focus on a younger top flight FA starter.

That sounds great, but what do you plan on giving up? You're either going to have to give up someone like Fielder or Hardy from the major league club or a few top prospects like Gamel, Jeffress and Escobar from the minor league club. Teams just don't give young, cheap, good starting pitchers away.

Exactly Logan...

Honestly, I'd rather have one year of Johnson for $7 million than 5 years of Sabathia for $100 million.

I should have said lots of money over several years. I would rather have Johnson over a couple years than CC over 4+ years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 3 weeks later...

I realize that it Johnson isn't a 25 year old where character matters as much, but I wouldn't want him on my team. I've watched him here in Phoenix, read and watched his interviews. Even this article talks about his goals and they are all personal stat based. If it's up to me I don't want a guy that is coming back for milestones. If he was chasing his first world series then absolutely. I have more respect for guys like Mussina that don't come back just for a shot at a milestone.

I will also admit that I personally am 300 wins short of one his goal so I don't know what it is like...

Archived