Brewer Fanatic

2005 Re-Draft

brewerguy71

Would Ryan Braun go Number 1? Would the Brewers still pick him in the 5th spot? Would you as a GM take him considering what has developed?

There are quite a few teams that are probably very happy with their first round picks. The people drafted in round one that year and have made significant contributions or soon will be are Justin Upton, Alex Gordon, Ryan Zimmerman, Jeff Clement, Ryan Braun, Matt Garza, Troy Tulowitzki, Mike Pelfrey, Cameron Maybin, Andrew McCutcheon, Jay Bruce, Colby Rasmus, Chris Volstad, Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Bucholz, Jed Lowrie.

Pick your poison. I would have to go with Matt Garza, Jacoby Ellsbury, Jay Bruce, Jeff Clement, Ryan Braun, Troy Tulowitzki, Colby Rasmus, Ryan Zimmerman, Mike Pelfrey and Cameron Maybin to round out the top 10. Many different ways to go here...

There's no way Ellsbury goes 2nd in a redraft. I think Garza and Braun are your top two in any order, based on the fact that those are the three already established at the star level. Tulo probably number three, and then a big group of take your pick star talents yet to really burst out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Are you putting Braun 5th so he will be "re-picked" by the Brewers? Not sure how Clement or Ellsbury go ahead of Braun otherwise.

I don't know enough about Garza. Bruce started with a bang in the majors, but ended quietly. Could be good, but still unproven. Braun is out-hitting all of them in the Majors now and projects to continue his pace.

Are you putting Braun 5th so he will be "re-picked" by the Brewers? Not sure how Clement or Ellsbury go ahead of Braun otherwise.

To answer your question, no. Ellsbury is an excellent defensive CF and a leadoff hitter, irreplaceable and more quality than a power hitting LF, imo. And cant go wrong, as the Mariners will soon find out, with a power hitting, good defensive catcher.

My Micah Owings pick doesn't look so good right now because Micah tanked right after we made our picks. I still think he'll be good in the long-run though. I guess I should have went with Garza, which I was considering. Also, I was the only one championing Lowrie and that looks pretty good now.

I would take Upton on raw athletic ability and the potential for tremendous power/speed numbers. I remember seeing a game last year when he was first called up....batter hits a sure double into the Right Center gap, and out of nowhere comes Upton flying, without effort, to make a routine play on the ball. You cant teach speed and Upton has plenty of it.

I do like Bruce though, he can play any outfield position, left handed bat, power average...nice packages. I think in the end, he winds up projecting as a better player overall than Braun does.

My Micah Owings pick doesn't look so good right now because Micah tanked right after we made our picks. I still think he'll be good in the long-run though. I guess I should have went with Garza, which I was considering. Also, I was the only one championing Lowrie and that looks pretty good now.

Owings only has one pitch he can throw for strikes on a regular basis and that is the fastball. He has an ok slider and has been learning a change up so maybe if those improve he'll become a decent pitcher.

Owings only has one pitch he can throw for strikes on a regular basis and that is the fastball. He has an ok slider and has been learning a change up so maybe if those improve he'll become a decent pitcher.

And that's all I was hoping for when I drafted him- an average or slightly above pitcher. His hitting is what intrigued me. I always like the idea of versatile players, whether it's a pitcher who can PH or a WR who can play DB.

Archived