Brewer Fanatic

What do you want for our surplus at SS?

http://sportsillustrated....entral/index.html?eref=T1

for what it's worth, this writer seems to think the Reds should trade us Arroya for Escobar and other pieces. I wouldn't do Escobar for Arroyo straight up, let alone throwing in other prospects.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I would sign Hardy long term and trade Escobar for young pitching. As great as Escobar is defensively I just dont know if he will ever hit enough. JJ is a leader on this team and one of the best shortstops in baseball; just the type of guy we should build around.

I tend to agree, but what can we expect in return? He'd have to be packaged with some other prospects (probably pitching prospects) to net anyone resembling a top of the rotation-type of guy, right? There just aren't many examples I can think of where a single prospect is traded for young pitching (though I'm sure there are some). Delmon Young for Matt Garza is the closest thing I can think of off the top of my head. And both of those players had at least proved they were ML caliber.

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Here's an idea.

Trade Hardy if the right deal comes along and put Bill Hall at SS for a year to boost his value then trade him and let Escobar take the position in 2010.

I don't think there is any chance that Bill Hall has another season as miserable as he did last season. If he had a .700 OPS he would be servicable as a SS. If he put his career averages he would be an above average SS. Then sign a 3B like Casey Blake. Remember this all centers around getting a decent haul for J.J. Hardy as in an unbelievable package of prospects or a young #1 type pitcher like Matt Cain. If we don't get that then I would not trade Hardy.

I'd do this, IF the right deal was offered for Hardy. I wouldn't mind giving Hall the first shot at short. If it works out you have serious flexibility. You could trade him or Weeks once Escobar is ready, Hall moves to 2B if you move Weeks. If it doesnt work you still have Escobar waiting in the wings anyways, while he gets consistent ABs to start the year in Nashville.

I wouldn't call one deep in the minors a surplus.

I know you were referring to semi-major-league-ready shortstops, but does everyone forget about Brent Brewer? He's killing in the AFL. I know he's no where close to ready, but I still believe him to be a legitimate prospect.

I know he's no where close to ready, but I still believe him to be a legitimate prospect.

I prefer to be more than an injury away from a replacement level player. He may be a legitimate prospect, but until he is close to ready he wouldn't come into my considerations for the MLB team. Maybe a couple years down the road. My preference would be to sign Hardy to a 4-5 year deal and trade Escobar. If Hardy isn't going to sign a deal like that then I would trade him as soon as I got a fair deal for him.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived