Brewer Fanatic

Could Weeks be like Upton?

DHonks
I think of Upton...a toolsy underachieving infielder whose offensive and defensive results failed to match his potential. Yet moving him to CF and his offense has improved while showing off his great speed and strong arm. If the Crew doesn't bring back Cameron, should the Crew consider moving Weeks to CF? I've tossed the idea around quite a bit in the last 2 months, but seeing Upton is making me think more seriously about it.

Why do you assume the position change had anything to do with his results at the plate? If any effect at all, I would think changing his position would be more likely to hinder batting development.

I'm fine with the opinion that he could be an above average defensive center fielder instead of a below average defensive second baseman, but I wouldn't drag offense into the conversation.

Upton's career line is .277/.367/.426/.793 and Weeks is .245/.352/.406/.758 and Upton plays in a little bit more favorable hitters park. It isn't like there is some huge gap between these two players in the first place. Upton is Weeks with a few more hits every year.

They should have moved Weeks to CF a couple of years ago instead of Hall. It will be real interesting to see what a manager from outside will do. If it's Brenly, I wouldn't be shocked if he moved Weeks to the OF. I get the Cub broadcast of games vs. the Brewers and Brenly isn't sold on Weeks at 2B.

Upton's career line is .277/.367/.426/.793 and Weeks is .245/.352/.406/.758 and Upton plays in a little bit more favorable hitters park. It isn't like there is some huge gap between these two players in the first place. Upton is Weeks with a few more hits every year.

And a handful of more homeruns in the playoffs. Upton has big time potential, but don't let this postseason fool you. He hasn't been Ken Griffey Jr. of '99 in CF. He hasn't even been Mike Cameron of '08.

I do like that OBP at .277 avg, though. Get him in our lineup!

I think of Upton...a toolsy underachieving infielder whose offensive and defensive results failed to match his potential.

I disagree - Last year at the age of 22 he posted an impressive ~.900 OPS. This year at the age of 23 he hit a ~.784 with a .383 OBP. I think he could do better, but I think he is well on his way.

Yet moving him to CF and his offense has improved while showing off his great speed and strong arm.

I tend to think his overall improvement has to do with starting as a 19 year old and simply getting older. Upton has played 3b, 2b, LF, CF, SS in his short career. He only has played ~50 games at 2b, and was probably only a backup at SS and 3b on some pretty bad teams. When you are winning 65 games a year, you can live with any young stud's glove anywhere. I certainly credit TB for finding a home for him in CF early in his career though.

I wish Weeks hit like Upton.

Me too. I'd trade Weeks for Upton in a flash.

They should have moved Weeks to CF a couple of years ago instead of Hall.

I agree 100%. I think the Brewers have been VERY stubborn with Weeks, and it has cost them wins. I think that Weeks has the bat to win a lot of GGs in CF, if he were given the chance to play out there.

The problem with moving Weeks to CF, is who do you replace him with? -- I don't consider either Escobar, Dillon or Counsell to be options --

Looking at only the offense -- replacing Cameron with Weeks is a downgrade. If we brought Durham in as a stopgap for a year, Durham's bat would effectively replace Cameron's bat. I think in doing this, we could save a little money, but our overall D would probably take a hit, but I think offensively we would be OK, especially if Weeks improved.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Upton was hurt all year which dampened his power numbers. He hit like 24 HR's last year. I don't think he's underachieving at all.

And I really don't think Weeks has the instincts to play anywhere on defense - 2B, CF, bullpen lackey, etc.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Oh yeah I'd rather have Upton too, I'm just saying it isn't like their career paths have been amazingly different so far. I think Upton way overachieved in 2007(in fantasy baseball I had him on the do not touch list) and underachieved in 2008.

One could say Weeks numbers have been dampened by injuries as well.

I was looking at it as Weeks is a natural OF from college, and wouldn't have to worry about the plays that give him fits at 2b. By letting him focus on his offense and playing CF, we could find more of a Loretta/Hudson type to play 2b that can actually make good throws while giving the offense a different look. An XM radio interview from about a month ago really had me start thinking about this, when an expert pointed out that he's heard from no baseball folks outside of Milwaukee that Weeks is a legit 2b. In fact, many within Milwaukee's organization supposedly feel he's not a legit 2b.

If we are going to move a guy to the outfield, I would prefer to start the guy in LF unless they are moved prior to making the MLB team. I think 2010 would be a good year to move Weeks to the outfield. That way we can have either Braun or Hart in CF. It also gives us a chance to see if Hart or Weeks will be a better player.

I agree that Durham and Cameron will be pretty similar on offense next year. I am not sure Durham should be much more than a part time player anymore though. I also think Cameron should get a little more time off than he got this year. I don't think Weeks in CF and Durham would improve our defense over Weeks at 2B and Cameron in CF though.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived