Brewer Fanatic

Attention Audiophiles! I have some Q's.

brewerjamie15

I need to find abrewerfan.net-like audiophile site. I've recently upgraded my whole stereo system taking me so incredibly far over my head, it's unreal.

I am particularly having trouble hooking up my CLR speaker. The new receiver which I got from the wife as an early Christmas gift has more power than a small block car engine, and the speakers can probably give out enough power to be heard in other zip codes.

I am not sure how to describe the problem but it appears as if the Denon AVR-2308CL receiver has only two "terminals"? when the center channel I have apparently needs four. Center channel is Def Tech clr 2002.

Thanks a ton.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

I am not sure how to describe the problem but it appears as if the Denon AVR-2308CL receiver has only two "terminals"? when the center channel I have apparently needs four. Center channel is Def Tech clr 2002.
Are there strips of metal attached to the two sets of posts on the back of the center channel? I assume the speaker is set up for biwiring, which is stupid and a waste of time and speaker cable. If you want to know the ins and outs of biwiring and why it is stupid, google biwiring.

You just need to hook up the speaker cable to one set of the posts (red/black) on the back of the center channel and to the designated center channel posts on the back of the receiver. It shouldn't matter which set you use on the center channel, as long as you use a set of red and black, and not both reds or blacks.

I agree with "And That"...the speaker is probably bi-ampable, which isn't necessary to do in your case. Your Denon should have plenty of power. I don't have experience with Denon first hand, but they seem to be generally regarded as high quality receivers.

I find www.hometheaterspot.com to be an excellent online resource. They probably have dedicated forums for both Denon and Def Tech on there.

Not to go way off topic, but I recently upgraded my front speakers from Bose 301s to Pardigm Monitor 9s (floor standing speakers). Huge upgrade. Sounds awesome with my Onkyo TX-SR700 receiver and the Paradigm center I already had. The Bose 301s are now my rear speakers, and will probably be replaced eventually with matching Paradigm surrounds.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

T-

Yes, there are strips connecting the two sets of posts, I'll try your idea.

Anyone out there using RCA cables that are in excess of 25' long? Our present plan is to keep the receiver and CD player in our closet while the DVD/Cable box/ TV are all stationed in the living room corner. I'm going to follow my speaker wire going up the closet wall, through the ceiling, across a small stretch of attic, then down through a hall way closet and then into the wall behind the TV.

Will the long stretch cause any electronic noise?

Will the fluctuation in temperatures (attics are cold or hot) cause electronic noise?

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

25-50' of speaker wire and RCA cable shouldn't be anything to worry about as long as the sheathing is intact on both. That's not really a very long distance at all under normal circumstances... from my experience, interference problems usually only start over 100-200'+ runs of wire, and usually then only because the wire sheathing had become worn or connections were faulty/exposed to too much air and dust.

Temperature shouldn't be a big issue either.

Unless you've run in to interference problems in the past in that area of your house, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would make sure you're using at least 14 gauge speaker wire, and I might even go up to 12 if I were doing it. Don't buy Monster Cable, though. Their markup is ridiculous.

Archived