Brewer Fanatic

MLB Network (merged: Costas to the MLB Network); see reply #188ish

BrewCrewForever
It's going to be on channel 122 on Time Warner in Milwaukee. How does that qualify as extended basic if you need to rent a box to receive it?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's going to be on channel 122 on Time Warner in Milwaukee. How does that qualify as extended basic if you need to rent a box to receive it?
I was wondering the same thing. Why would you even need a box if you only had extended basic? Wouldn't the box just be for HD and if you had movie channels like HBO and Cinemax?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Yeah, along those lines I'm not going to assume we'll have access (with our primitive but reliable analog expanded basic Charter service in Madison) until I actually see it. Charter has a few channels which they appear to describe as "expanded basic" but you need extra equipment to see it.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We're already getting the "test" broadcast on Charter in our area.

Any word on if there will be an HD channel version eventually?

Can someone explain to me how it's not going to be in HD right from the start? It's almost 2009 and nearly every TV sold is an HD TV, it's strikes me as strange to not be HD right away. If something like the Big Ten network is in HD right away, seven billion dollar business MLB seems like it should be also for their new channel.

Charter is carrying MLB on channel 84 in Madison, but it requires digital equipment to view (despite being in the expanded basic package). I'm not ready yet to switch to a service that several people I know have had problems with, just to get MLB. But don't let me stop this thread.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure MLB Network will be broadcasting in HD from the get-go, but companies like Charter are already having problems creating more bandwidth for HD channels as is. Maybe if we're lucky they'll add an HD feed for it by the time regular season starts (though I won't hold my breath, seeing how long it took them to finally start carrying Brewers games in HD after numerous promises).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It's on TWC 122 right now. They're showing a montage of big playoff moments. I'm really, really excited for this to go live and in HD.

They don't have an HD launch date yet for TWC, but it will be up before the season starts.

EDIT- Their commercials have the usual big teams.... PLUS some Brewer clips. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Now I'm really mad at Dish:

MLB Network is going all out in its first month of operation, saying Tuesday that it will air the Ken Burns documentary "Baseball."

The Emmy-winning nine-part series on the history of baseball from the 1800s to the early 1990s first aired on PBS in 1994 to high ratings. It has aired occasionally on PBS since. MLB Network, which goes live New Year's Day in 50 million households, will air one part at 8 p.m. Tuesdays through January and February. It begins Jan. 6, following the nightly hourlong "Hot Stove Report" of baseball news.

The documentary will include special commentary recorded by Burns, MLB Network said.

The "Baseball" announcement is another of a series of programming acquisitions by the network. On its first night, the channel will introduce itself with an hourlong "Hot Stove Report" and then televise the 1956 World Series perfect game by Don Larsen of the New York Yankees against the Brooklyn Dodgers. It will be the first time that the broadcast, which was saved on kinescope by a collector, will be aired -- including the original commercials -- since it was on live. The telecast begins in the second inning.

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that MLB Network for Charter won't be included on the basic package.
It's part of their expanded basic package, but you need the digital receiver to get it. So if you currently have the digital receiver and get the channels above around 15 you should get the MLB Network on Charter.

I don't know if the regular programming will be any good but I absolutely love the stuff they are running tonight. All the greatest moments in baseball, many I remember from a kid and many I didn't get a chance to see because it is just hard to find old time footage of baseball without really looking hard for it.

Archived