Brewer Fanatic

MLB Network (merged: Costas to the MLB Network); see reply #188ish

BrewCrewForever
I read on the MLB Network Wikipedia page today that Matt Vasgersian, Hazel Mae and Trenni Kusnierek would be part of the on screen personalities at the network.
According to the wiki page it says FORMER FSN Wisconsin sideline reporter....however when you click on Trenni's name in the article, the first thing it says is she's under contract. Hmm....negotiations maybe? Would Rillo possibly replace Trenni and maybe Counsell replace Rillo in the booth?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The talent stuff isn't sourced. Unsourced Wiki isn't reliable.

I could definitely see Trenni getting the job though. The network is at the minimum going to need one announcing crew for the Saturday night game of the week, and Trenni would be a good choice there as sideline reporter, unless they get someone higher profile (I don't know who that would be). Matty would definitely be a fun caller, as long as he isn't restricted too much by network suits.

It also sounds like MLB is going to have a studio show that starts an hour before games start and will go on for several hours. I don't know if they plan on having a reporter at each home game, but they will probably want a handful to go out and cover the important series of each week. This is definitely a good time to be a baseball media person, quite a few new jobs will be available.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I could get an mp3 of the theme song from the show, but any searching I have done comes up empty. It was a pretty catchy tune (especially when you're 8-years old).

Well, I found the ending theme...

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

For Dish Network Subscribers:

I emailed the customer service asking if we are getting the MLB Network. Here is the main portion of their response:

Thank you for your response. We understand the issues you have raised. We are currently in negotiations to provide the MLB Network. We are hopeful of reaching an agreement in the near future.

So that is looking positive. I am hoping that we get it added to our main package and don't have to upgrade to pay for it.

Not sure if this was brought up somewhere, but since this is a league run network, what are the possibilities of some kind of revenue for the teams from this? You'd think there would be something..

EDIT - I see something along these lines mentioned on the 1st page, but I guess I want to know if anyone heard anything specific.

Major League Baseball owns 2/3 of this operation; so I'd assume that at least eventually, there should be pretty decent revenue for the teams. (1/6 of the network, including Extra Innings, is owned by DirecTV. The other 1/6 ownership is split among the various other companies offering MLB Network and Extra Innings.)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Reynolds, Leiter, Mae and Kusnierek added to officially per mlb.com. Vasgersain was already confirmed. I like what they have so far.
Leiter and Mae, meh. I'm happier the fewer connections MLB Network has to New York and Boston. We already have ESPN. (Mae's Google image results calm my concerns a bit, though.)
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds more and more like Dish will not have it at launch come the first of next month. I keep emailing Dish asking about it, but they keep deferring to their stance on not talking about channels when in contract negotiations. Not sure if that's a good sign or not.

Charter Cable will be carrying the MLB Network. I believe it will be on expanded basic, and not the sports package.
That is sweet. I have been a Charter subscriber for along time. But as of Jan 1st I will be a Time Warner subscriber, they are going to carry it on expanded basic, right?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Sounds more and more like Dish will not have it at launch come the first of next month. I keep emailing Dish asking about it, but they keep deferring to their stance on not talking about channels when in contract negotiations. Not sure if that's a good sign or not.
I hope they get that settled soon. I have Dish and am really hoping that they carry MLB Network on their standard packages.
Follow me on Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

The first game broadcast on MLB Network will be Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series. Airing with original commercials, broadcast by Mel Allen and Vin Scully. I'm hoping the network continues with stuff like this during the off season - it will help me brush up on my baseball history, which is horribly lacking.

link

another link

Any company that carries MLB Network will offer it as part of the extended basic package. Placing it in any package that costs money beyond extended basic violates conditions set by MLB Network for the privilege of carrying the channel.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I read today on another Yuku board that I visit that the MLB channel is already on the air in select markets as a preview type thing. They explained it as a "trial run" type of thing where they can work out kinks and such. Supposedly, they will be airing classic games (first broadcast is going to be the 1956 Don Larson perfect game, complete with original commercials and everything.)

However, the guy who posted this (I trust him pretty good) works in the television industry and applied for a job/transfer to the network. They turned him down, but his impersonations from seeing what they are planning on doing, is going to be a baseball-only ESPN show. In other words, at the start, at least, they will be feeding us all Yankees and Red Sox stuff most of the time.

Take this for what it's worth, but the guy is an insider. I'm not much for posting stuff like this, but the story and information was intriguing to me.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

In other words, at the start, at least, they will be feeding us all Yankees and Red Sox stuff most of the time

One of their early shows is going to be called Hot Stove. Considering the Yankees are spending the most money so far, the network would be doing a poor job covering the Hot Stove if the Yankees weren't a big focus. There just isn't much reason to talk about the Arizona Diamondbacks right now.

Once the season starts, their live show should be representative of all the teams. After all, it's a live show that is going to be on for 7-8 hours, there will be plenty of time to give all teams their due.

Archived