Brewer Fanatic

MLB Network (merged: Costas to the MLB Network); see reply #188ish

BrewCrewForever

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is supposed to air at least 26 regular season games during 2009 as well as World Baseball Classic coverage.

One of the best things will be the classic games they will probably play, since you know ESPN Classic hardly ever plays baseball because they are to busy showing pool, bowling, poker and american gladiators.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quoth Wikipedia:
MLB Network expects to carry 26 live baseball games in 2009 and Saturday night is the most likely timeslot these games will air in. Other early programming will include portions of the 2009 World Baseball Classic as well as highlights, studio programming, international and development league games, and archival material. Also in the works is a nightly news and highlight show patterned after ESPN's Baseball Tonight.
The network has signed contracts with 36 cable and satellite carriers. In a deal that may be copied by other sports league owned channels, MLB tied carriage of the MLB Network to the ability to carry the popular out of market MLB Extra Innings package. In return, cable and satellite providers were offered a minority share of the new network.

The games are pretty much all on Extra Innings anyway. If this network is allowed to have Saturday afternoon games, that will fill in EI's one hole. I realize that MLB is unlikely to do that though, because Fox is presumably paying them to not broadcast Saturday afternoon games.

Starts 1/1/09. Sounds just like the NFL Network but baseball of course. Anyone else pumped for this?
I am supposed to get excited about some people making a grab for money while making it harder to watch my own team? Not happening. My feelings are indifferent at best. More likely disgust if it ends up taking games away from FSN.

Edit: I admit being bitter with the Big Ten Network over a lost year of Badger sports. I don't want to go through the same crap with MLB's new network.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

or this could be the first step towards a unified TV contract and level playing field, negating the market issue.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

or this could be the first step towards a unified TV contract and level playing field, negating the market issue.

eh, that's not gonna happen. Maybe it could have happened 20 years ago if the poorer teams and the commissioner (and maybe congress) really pushed for it, but now there is no way the Yankees would give up their estimated $340 million in local television revenue or their $2 billion local sports network. By comparison, I just saw an article in SI that said the Brewers got $7 million in local TV revenue last year. The big teams will never want to lose that much of their advantage over the smaller teams, plus, they like having the actual cash as well.

Quoth Wikipedia:
MLB Network expects to carry 26 live baseball games in 2009 and Saturday night is the most likely timeslot these games will air in. Other early programming will include portions of the 2009 World Baseball Classic as well as highlights, studio programming, international and development league games, and archival material. Also in the works is a nightly news and highlight show patterned after ESPN's Baseball Tonight.

great, so now all the Saturday games will probably be blacked out. MLB is so stupid when it comes to their broadcast restrictions.

The history behind this network is that to be able to offer Extra Innings, cable and satellite companies had to commit to offering the MLB Network at the extended basic level. There was a deadline for committing which was extended at least once or twice. I wouldn't be surprised if it were still possible for stragglers to buy their way in.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

This is suppose to be the biggest launch of any channel in tv history.

And they said it was not going to be like the NFL Network for what its worth. They are going to have a "baseball tonight" feel on the recap show at the end of the night.

I know im excited.

This is suppose to be the biggest launch of any channel in tv history.

And they said it was not going to be like the NFL Network for what its worth. They are going to have a "baseball tonight" feel on the recap show at the end of the night.

I know im excited.

Hopefully it is not all just Yankees and Red Sox highlights for the first 20 min and then small highlights of all the other games followed by 6 min of talking about how the Yankees or Red Sox will make it through the season and win the World Series.

nate82 wrote:

Hopefully it is not all just Yankees and Red Sox highlights for the first 20 min and then small highlights of all the other games followed by 6 min of talking about how the Yankees or Red Sox will make it through the season and win the World Series.

They are patterning it after BBTN, what else would they show.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Nope. Unless you have something less than whatever Charter calls extended basic, you won't have to pay any extra. That was part of the deal that MLB insisted on.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

where will this network (studio) be based? New York because of the NY offices of MLB? That will kinda sorta determine if the broadcasts will be NYY-BOS centric or not.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The plans call for the studio to be in New Jersey for now, with an eventual move to a new building in Harlem.

I thought they said the headquarters would be in Harlem and they were using an old studio in Secaucus.

Archived