Brewer Fanatic

04/16/2006 Brewers (Sheets) @ Mets (Bannister) 12:10 PM, CST

JoeH33
It feels like we're going out of our way this afternoon to find ways to lose this one. Honestly, its pretty difficult to force a pitcher to throw 80 some pitches through 3 and not score a single run.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STRIKEOUTS DO MATTER!!!!

Yes, double plays are the worst thing you can do, but the SINGLE WORST way to make one out is to strike out - and year in and year out this team has new players, the amount of changeover from year to year is at least half the lineup - and every year one thing (or two things) remaing constant - this team continues to strike out at an alarming rate and fail to even make contact with RISP. It's pathetic.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not going to say that bunting with Hardy at the plate was a good idea, but in the situation, Hardy needs to get down a better bunt than that.

I agree 100% with both of those sentiments. 3 chances for a single to drive in a run, and you have just made it 2 chances arbitrarily.

How? Even if Hardy's bunt is perfect, it doesnt matter, because Jenkins strikesout...again, with less than 2 outs and a runner on third. Lee's ground out would have still ended the inning.

How is there anyway to make ONE out that is worse than a strike out?

I think the Mets have shown us today that this is true. They get one guy on an inning and they hit balls to the right side, hit fly balls, all outs, but they arent whiffing constantly with runners on 2nd and 3rd.

I dont think bunting was a bad idea there. It was just a good play by Heilman. He jumped off the mound and made a good play. That said, even a great sac bunt is useless when we strikeout a dozen times a game.

Look, I saw back to the future, too. I know what you are saying about Jenkins, but he DID strikeout.

Tell me that you honestly believe that with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out that striking out is no different than a sac fly or a ground ball to the right side or to short. Is there a difference? Well, according to the genius's here there is no difference.

Mets LOB - 4

Brewers LOB - 30

That is the way MLB.com counts it, every time a player comes up with runners on base and he leaves them there adds to the total. Even doing it that way, the Mets have only left 4 on.

Quote:
Nobodies mentioning that if Hardy gets teh job done on the bunt, that the Mets likely would have walked Jenkins to set up the DP.

I think that would have been good for the Brewers. If Carlos is up with bases loaded more pitches should be on the plate.

Tell me that you honestly believe that with runners on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out that striking out is no different than a sac fly or a ground ball to the right side or to short. Is there a difference? Well, according to the genius's here there is no difference.

Well besides depending on where the groundball or flyball was, and who was on third, etc... nevermind.

Toby, I think the point is the fickleness that people have been displaying in the early going of the season. 3 for 5 today with the double and homer raises Jenks OPS to what?

My point is is I'm not fickle... I just like the guy that's hitting better overall. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived