Brewer Fanatic

04/16/2006 Brewers (Sheets) @ Mets (Bannister) 12:10 PM, CST

JoeH33
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Dropped third strike....

Are you serious? You want to disagree with me by hoping for those dropped 3rd strike RBIs?

I'm not gonna hold my breath waiting for those RBI's to accumulate. And I'm not patting anyone's back who gets lucky b/c the opposing battery made a mistake.

Sorry i forgot brian, force of habit.

Im not talking Down to anyone. Im saying the people that continuosly say" its only 1 series" "this is a top NL team" were still 7 and 5 " u get my drift << add all these up they point to one type of fan.

These are the fans, that are ok with being .500. I dont like being average, especially when we should be alot better then avg.

Would you really be happy if we went say 25 games under .500 to the top 2 teams in each division and just bashed on the crappy teams like pittsburgh washington florida. and we have say 88 wins but miss playoffs by lets say 3 games?

I dont calla season where you are owned by any good team and dominate the crap teams a sucsesfull one.

Yea they may have a winning season, but it kinda be like thebears of 200 or when ever they got lucky in every game.

Im not lookin for perfect games and 10 run games by the offense im lookin for them to play solid fundamental baseball not just one game, But for a majority of the season.

Do you think losing because of not hitting with risp, errors bad baserunning, is a thing any playoff contender does a majority of the season? Sure 1 or 2 week stint maybe but that is it.

Im sick of losing games not because a team is better, which is what everyone here says...

but because

we kill ourselves with stupid dumbbb mistakes

errors

no hitting risp

no bunting fundamentals

basebath errors

trying to hit a 6 run homer down 3 with no one on

not hitting in the situation ie need a sac fly and someone strikes out

umm do u get where im going?

Playoff teams dont embarrass themselves like the brewers did today

Not sure what it counts as or why it was brought up as a run producer, but it is pretty way off from what I was getting at anyway.

We need to look at the potential success of making contact rather than the avoidance of DPs.

I hate hitting into DP's as much as anyone else and I don't mind seeing a Sheets/Ohka strikeout in a 1 out bases loaded situation.....but for an average hitter, I want to see them make some contact and hit a sac fly, single, or just about anything (as I'm sure everyone is).....K's are better than DPs, but nothing to be happy about.

So my point was that potential success and runs produced are way WAY WAY lower for a K. Contact has the potential to produce many more runs and I want to do whatever gives us more potential runs.

Of course I did forget the dropped 3rd strike, but that's only when 1st base is open so that's really not a DP type of situation anyway.

Quote:
Im not talking Down to anyone. Im saying the people that continuosly say" its only 1 series" "this is a top NL team" were still 7 and 5 " u get my drift << add all these up they point to one type of fan.

These are the fans, that are ok with being .500. I dont like being average, especially when we should be alot better then avg.

I'm not talking down to anyone...now let me procede to talk down on people who don't think the sky is falling because of a disappointing roadtrip. Yikes. Enough already. I've been saying this all along, you can't measure a season on one road trip. That does not mean that I'm OK with .500 ball over the course of a whole season. I just understand that the season is long, and the team is going to have hot and cold streaks like every other team does. Even the Cardinals and Yankees have bad roadtrips.

Dropped third strike? Come on people. It isnt the strike out that produces that chance to score on a dropped third strike it is the fact that the catcher or pitcher screwed up and let the ball get away from them. If you swing and miss and the ball goes to the screen so as to score the runner from third it isnt the K that scores him, it is the WP/Passed ball.

Jeter would never allow the Yankees to have a bad roadtrip. His unearthly clutchness woudl keep that from happening. Sure they currently have a worse record than the Brewers. And sure they are actually 3-6 on the road so far. But that just an optical illusion.

Quote Southwest Brewer:
I can see the point of what is measured with the statistics and the outcomes of outs....a strikeout can cause less damage in some situations. However rooting for less damage is not what I'd like to do....I'd rather root for what gives us more potential to score a run and hitting the ball gives us a chance to score.

You said I what I was trying to say. But better. And with a lot less words.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

rooting for less damage is not what I'd like to do....I'd rather root for what gives us more potential to score a run and hitting the ball gives us a chance to score.

Absolutely. I don't think anyone (I hope) roots for strikeouts on the off chance that a DP might happen on a BIP.

edit: I take that back. Last year I was definitely rooting for Jenkins to K because everything he hit was a GIDP.

Not sure what it counts as or why it was brought up as a run producer, but it is pretty way off from what I was getting at anyway.

All I was saying is that you said: K's give zero potential to push a runner across the plate ...which isn't true, because a run can score K with a dropped third strike. Just pointing out that fact, rather than making any sort of point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Absolutely. I don't think anyone (I hope) roots for strikeouts on the off chance that a DP might happen on a BIP.

When Sheets was up yesterday with the bases loaded I was rooting for a K over his more typical contact. Of course, I was really hoping to see him smack his first homerun, but, alas, it was not to be.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Hey Team Canada, what was you handle before you were Team Canada? I must have missed the change.

You're not alone. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

ja002h.

Chris, I forgot to exempt pitchers from my statement. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Is it really the strikeout that produces the run, or is it the fact that the ball gets away from the catcher?

That's not the point. I'm just saying that it is possible to score a run on a strikeout. That's all.

Now if you want me to argue that reaching on a dropped third strike creates a baserunner and should be reflected in OBP, then I'm game. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived