Brewer Fanatic

Best Milwaukee Hot Spots for this Saturday Night

lukevan
I know we've had threads about the nightlife in Milwaukee before but I can't seem to find the right one. My girlfriend and I are taking in the Carlos Mencia show tomorrow night and we want somewhere fun to go after the show to get a few drinks with other fun people. We'll be staying downtown so I think we'll want to go somewhere close to the Riverside Theatre. We'll also have a few hours to kill before the show, so any suggestions for fun stuff to do would be greatly appreciated!

Anyways, I would hit up Brady or Water. Can't go wrong with either of those.

You can definately go wrong with Water St. I dont know how old you are, but Water St is full of college aged kids looking to get drunk and fight. There was also a double stabbing down there a few weeks ago, and it is damn near impossible to find a bar that isnt packed. If you like that stuff, by all means, head down there.

Brady St is alright, there are also some nice bars off of North Ave (Paddys) If you're not into the bars and feel like spending a ton of money, you can do that bowling thing at Bayshore.

it is damn near impossible to find a bar that isnt packed. If you like that stuff, by all means, head down there.

No one goes there any more, it's too crowded...once again, Yogi Berra is decades ahead of his time.

My idea of a good time would be to go to Oscar's for custard, so I'm little help on the original question.

im taking the kids to the boo at the zoo tonight. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

side note: did the JS stop running the "Cool Pool" column? i wanted to post a link to it for things to do tonight.

have a drink at Hinterland or Water Buffalo or Fratello's in the 3rd Ward. If you want to stay near the Riverside then I would definitely go to Mo's or Rock Bottom. You can get a quality beer selection and they are cool places to hang out

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know we've had threads about the nightlife in Milwaukee before but I can't seem to find the right one. My girlfriend and I are taking in the Carlos Mencia show tomorrow night and we want somewhere fun to go after the show to get a few drinks with other fun people. We'll be staying downtown so I think we'll want to go somewhere close to the Riverside Theatre. We'll also have a few hours to kill before the show, so any suggestions for fun stuff to do would be greatly appreciated!

Depends on what you're into. Mo's Irish Pub is basically across the street from the riverside. Otherwise you could walk over to Milwaukee St. and hang out at Kenadees or Hotel Metro's bar. Mason St. Grill (I think that's what it's called) in the Pfister also has a nice bar. If you want to walk another block or two there's Flannery's and Mikey's up by Cathedral Square.

And don't let Paul scare you. That stabbing on Water St was during a chick fight so it doesn't count. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

why

There is no need ask about what to do for fun in Las Vegas. There is more to do here than I could even try to think about, and I don't gamble.

Wow, a discussion on a handful of bars turns into "there's nothing to do in Milwaukee".

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

granted this is too little too late, but i like landmark the best of all the bigger bars in the area. it's a little smokey, but they have pool, free darts, tons of pinball and video games, and you can bowl too if you'd like. plus the drink specials are consistently great.

i can't handle the Water street crowd. It is generally a buncha d-bags either looking to fight, or take home girls (by trying WAY too hard), or both. Not to mention beer is ridiculously overpriced. Apparently that works, but there's way more frat jerks than punk kids in this town, so they can get away with it.

I pretty much just stick to Riverwest (which isn't for everyone, either).

as someone who is out at bars just about once every weekend in milwaukee i can help. if you want to do water street, there are not that many choices, where you won't pay and arm and a leg and deal with drunk people wanting to start a fight. Now just 2 blocks to the east is milwaukee street. this is becoming quite a night spot and there are some great bars in this area. Kennedees, 3, zim's are decent choices depending what you are looking for. I also like to check out the bars on jefferson street downtown. I'd recommend mikey's (live music every friday and saturday), taylors, or flanery's. North avenue and brady have good bar scenes, but again you are asking for trouble by going down there.

I have always found parking to be much easier on milwaukee or jefferson than north, brady, or water. When i was 21, i was always hanging out on water, but now 7 years later I have found that I have a much better time at.

also just to be clear, these bars are not ones that are going to be dead, or play lame old music at. they just seem to draw a slightly older crown (later 20's, 30's) and therefore draw less trouble then the college bars on north, water, or farwell.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. We really enjoyed the downtown area, we mostly visited Mo's Irish Pub, good service and it was right next to Riverside. We were there before and after the show and Sunday for the Packer game (which was pretty quiet oddly enough). We took a walk through the Pfister and Hilton hotels, checked out the art museum and lakeside area. I was impressed with how clean and historic everything looked. We didn't have near enough time to do all we wanted but we'll be back soon.

As for Mencia, he was okay. My girlfriend is the fan.

Hey, next time your in town you might want to try some of these places:

Park Avenue

Papagaio's

Attic West

Tropicana

Billy's Old Mill - I think the Booze Brothers are playing there this weekend!

Blue Suede Shoes

Tequilla Willys

I know I've always had a lot of fun at these places. Of course that was 20 years ago, so they may have changed a little bit since then.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Patrick,

I'm fairly certain none of those places exist anymore.

Attic West is now a strip club I believe.

Patrick,

I'm fairly certain none of those places exist anymore.

Really?

edit: Blue Suede Shoes is a strip club now as well (Over the Border - unless that's gone now too.)

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yeah Patrick, I spend lots of weekends out in Milwaukee, and I haven't heard of any of those places.

I think he was kidding. Which would have been more apparent had the original post been in blue and not the response to my post.

Sorry, I just thought it was obvious enough that I was joking (I thought the Booze Bros. reference would have given it away)...so the blue wasn't necessary . I was just trying to re-live some of the good ol' yesteryears.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived