Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Name Zduriencik GM -- Latest: Blengino, McNamara Join Him (reply #123)

And That
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, many thanks to Jack Z for everything he's done to turn the farm system and this team into what it is today. I'm really happy for him as this is something that was overdue in my opinion. It was just a matter of time before someone nabbed him. Best of luck to Jack and the Mariners.

Whoever replaces him will have a pretty important draft to look forward to.

You have to be happy for the guy, because he totally deserves the chance. My mindset has been that Jack was going to leave at some point and I was confident that a competent replacement would be found. However, now that he's hired, all I can think of is Antone Williamson.

Jack definitely deserves this opportunity, congrats to him.

Jack Z. had two of his crosscheckers get hired as scouting directors in the past few years - Bobby Heck for the Astros in '07 and Tom Allison for the Dbacks in '06. He's taught his guys well.

I'd be surprised if the new scouting director didn't come from within the organization. The assistant scouting director is Tony Blengino - he's been on the fast track up the scouting world recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's him. It might well be Tom Flanagan also - he was assistant scouting director from 2000-2005, and is now in charge of administration of the minor league operations and scouting operations.

All great points Toby. I pointed out a few pages ago (or maybe in a different thread) I think in a similar response to a similar point you brought up that one of Zduriencik's greatest assests was not only recognizing talent on the baseball field, but recognizing good scouting talent as well, as evidenced by the departures of Allison and Heck.

It seems as though Blengino was being groomed for this job ever since they bumped him up from area scout to a front office exec. serving as Jack's right-hand man. If not Blengino, one of the crosscheckers could be up for a bump, but I'm guessing they promote from within, in hopes that the success can be continued through the processes and discpline that Jack Z. hopefully impressed onto all that worked for him.

I'm very happy for Jack, and this causes me no anxiety at all.

It was on the team to find a good fit for the job when Jack Z was hired, and now it's on them to find a quality replacement - these things happen.

Good for you, Jack, thanks for your help!

Congrats Jack! At least I won't have to stumble my way through spelling (& pronouncing) Zduriencik as much anymore... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I have confidence that, like Melvin, Jack Z had very good help working under him. Blengino sounds like a good guess as to the new Scouting Director

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I wished he would have been able to stay at least one more year with all the draft picks the Brewers are going to have this year. Also, Jack Z. is going to know which Brewer minor players that aren't protected to go after as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Maybe Melvin can trade for Beltre now.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Wow I hate this news on all fronts.

What it means for the Mariners since Jack Z was the least experienced candidate at the Major League level is that the new GM is really Chuck Armstrong and that Jack is really just coming in to build the farm system.

Armstrong's quotes all along have been rather scary.

http://seattle.mariners.m...mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

"I trust my own ability to make good decisions," Armstrong said. "I trust my instincts, both personal and business. I honestly believe that I am the best person to be the president of this club and to hire the next [general manager].

"This is an extension of who I am, and I want to help find the right general manager, help put together a comprehensive plan, take that plan to ownership and then execute that plan."

According to Armstrong, the Mariners' next GM will have less power than Bavasi did -- especially during his fourth and fifth years with Seattle -- and probably have a smaller player payroll.
I really hope I'm wrong here but this really sounds like a recipe for failure.

Yes, count me in on the group who only knows him by Jack Z but i do appreciate everything he has done. He had the picks to do it, that's for sure, but you can't deny the fact that hey put together one of the best home-grown groups of major leaguers in recent history.

I feel as though there should be a seperate Jack Z appreciation thread..

Congrats to Jack Z, I am surprised they didn't go with Ng. Jack Z will have a true oppertunity to devlop a qualilty team in Seattle. Hopefully he can bring them back to their glory days of drafting KGJ, Arod, and Randy Johnson.

This is a good sign for the Brewers despite the loss of Jack Z. Obviously we are doing things in a good manner and others are noticing. I am confident someone within the organization can do as well as Jack Z, perhaps even better.

Archived