Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Name Zduriencik GM -- Latest: Blengino, McNamara Join Him (reply #123)

And That
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PrimeTime955[/b]]When I saw the title I only let out one 4 letter word.

I had the same reaction...except mine was preceded by "Oh ...."

Congrats Jack...though we have a bunch of picks that you could have had fun with this year!!

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I want to cry. Jack Z is the man responsible for us making the playoffs and I wish we kicked Melvin to the curb and named Jack GM of the Brewers. This is a very dark day in Brewers history.

I'd say trading for Sabathia and Torres and signing Cameron and Kendall probably had as much to do with it as drafting did.

I'm sad to see him go because he does a good job and you never know what the next guy will be like. Hopefully his replacement will draft pitching better and get some higher OBP players who are good fielders. He gave us a very strong core of young power bats but we need to flesh out the roster with other players now.

Only one??

Yeah, I said four.

Maybe if we make every October 22nd brewerfan.net's annual turn off the cuss filter day it will make everyone forget about Jack Z. going to the Mariners. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hopefully he trained someone in the organization well
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

In some ways I see this as a good thing. I thought as much of him as anyone but he deserved to move on. In that respect I'm happy for a worthy man getting his due. I also think the Brewers as an organization takes a leap forward as how they are viewed by others in the business. Young talented evaluators want to work for good organizations and learn from good people. I suspect Jack taught those under him well and some of htem may be ready to take the next step. If we lose a great one it cost us but if we get a lot of interest from other talented people we can more than fill the void long term. Maybe we lose the top man but enhanced reputation makes the overall talent level of our scouts better.

Optimism is needed now. When teams win they lose those who made them win. I hope this is a problem we have for years to come.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Jack Z. had two of his crosscheckers get hired as scouting directors in the past few years - Bobby Heck for the Astros in '07 and Tom Allison for the Dbacks in '06. He's taught his guys well.

I'd be surprised if the new scouting director didn't come from within the organization. The assistant scouting director is Tony Blengino - he's been on the fast track up the scouting world recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's him. It might well be Tom Flanagan also - he was assistant scouting director from 2000-2005, and is now in charge of administration of the minor league operations and scouting operations.

ok busy week after the World Series we need to hire a Manager,Then try to Keep CC off the Market,find a new Head of Scouting.

Should be alot of news but hopefully we won't have bad news like jack takes a few scouts with him and CC decides to hit Fa and spurns the Crew Offer.

In some ways I see this as a good thing. I thought as much of him as anyone but he deserved to move on. In that respect I'm happy for a worthy man getting his due. I also think the Brewers as an organization takes a leap forward as how they are viewed by others in the business. Young talented evaluators want to work for good organizations and learn from good people. I suspect Jack taught those under him well and some of htem may be ready to take the next step. If we lose a great one it cost us but if we get a lot of interest from other talented people we can more than fill the void long term. Maybe we lose the top man but enhanced reputation makes the overall talent level of our scouts better.

Optimism is needed now. When teams win they lose those who made them win. I hope this is a problem we have for years to come.

Agreed. Well said, no need for me to repeat.

I grew up an Orioles fan when The Oriole Way was the premier baseball philosophy. It seemed every successful organization in MLB had for Oriole executives in their front office, and former coaches and players managing, or coaching.

Archived