Brewer Fanatic

Mariners Name Zduriencik GM -- Latest: Blengino, McNamara Join Him (reply #123)

And That
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the trade for Cordero was pretty good. Not to mention he's gotten really good value off of some scrap heap pickups (Podsednik, Doug Davis, Kapler to name a few)
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Dean Taylor traded to get Sexson for Bere, Woodard, and Wickman. The Brewers got Kane Davis and another pitcher I believe.

I think yfinn meant the one that sent Sexson for Overbay, Capuano, Spivey, Counsell, Moeller, De La Rosa, etc... Yes, that was Melvin.

The grass is always greener on the other side. There are probably only a few GMs that could be clearly better than Melvin and quite a few that are clearly worse.

Considering we had Taylor and Bando prior, I'm pleased with what Melvin has done.

I like the Overbay for Gross, Bush deal too. I also liked the deal that brought in Torres this year. The Cordero deal wasn't bad at all as long as Cruz doesn't end up being a stud which I personally don't think he will.

Melvin has had more than 1 good trade. I do think he is probably a bit too ready to give up on pitching which can be slow to develop.

I wouldn't mind Jack Z leaving. I would like to see a slightly different direction taken in our drafting process
What direction would you like taken?

Jack Z has seen a few of his scouts get scouting director jobs, and I'd think we'd have a quality in-house canidate to replace Jack Z.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Mark A should invest some seriou $ in Jack Z. Possibly as much as a GM would make. Jack and Doug are better together that apart.

Didn't the Brewers "promote" Jack Z. last season by adding "Vice-President" or something to that effect to his title last season? I think they did throw some cash at him last season, and I would guess he is probably one of the top paid scouting directors in the league. He might be getting close to what a GM is making now. But that still doesn't make him a GM, which is obviously what he wants.

Gruber Lawffices

I wouldn't mind Jack Z leaving. I would like to see a slightly different direction taken in our drafting process.

Isn't Nelson Cruz something like 29 now?

He'll be 28 next year but he put up a 1.030 OPS in 133 PA last year for Texas and a 1.124 OPS in AAA in 448 PA so there is still a chance he ends up being a good player.

I would like to see a slightly different direction taken in our drafting process.

I really like Jack Z because he does one thing well - and he does it often.

Jack Z drafts "all hit/no defense" players very well. If you can find a 30 HR guy every year, you might as well do it. You can always trade them later to fill other holes. (LaPorta)

However, you can certainly argue that Jack Z has had very limited success with pitchers and toolsy players. Hence, the Brewers end up as a HR hitting team, with poor defense and troubles with OBP. If you would prefer to build your team like the Twins - Jack Z is not your guy.

twobrewers brings up a great point. Jack Z's main skill has been in bringing up a certain type of player. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Given the Brewers historical position, they have needed to draft more "predictable" players. Also, players that can produce quicker...in that 6 year window. Speed players can often develop slower. You can't teach power...then again they haven't been able to teach OBP. I think Jack Z has done a very solid job in that regard...over time it will be up to the GM to use some of those power players in personnel moves to create a more balanced MLB lineup.

Jack Z. is responsible for two of the Brewers starting pitchers, Gallardo and Parra, and one of the pitchers in the bullpen, Stetter. That's not a bad number at all for players procured completely internally, as the Rays have the same amount of pitchers on their roster that were originally drafted by the club, while the Red Sox and Phillies each have four.

And I don't think it's fair to say that Jack Z. just brings in one type of player. The all-hit/no defense point can be blamed on the entire organization possibly more than Jack, since it took the team a year (at least) longer than it should have to realize Ryan Braun belonged in the OF. They tinkered with Hart in the minors at both 3B and 1B before moving him to the OF, and they considered drafting Weeks as a CF when they originally took him back in 2003, a position that he may be better off playing.

Hardy of course is sound, as are Braun and Hart now that they are the playing the positions where their respective skills are the best fit. Fielder of course has nowhere to go (other than the American League), and defense may not longer be a problem for players still in the minors such as Mat Gamel assuming he is moved to a position that better suits his skills.

So it's not like the players Jack Z. drafts can't play defense, it's just that they need to be placed at the best spot, and the team has been slow to recognize that in a few instances.

Plus, Braun, Weeks and Hart have plenty of speed, so it's not like he just drafts big plodding boppers that can only hit home runs.

The all-hit/no defense point can be blamed on the entire organization possibly more than Jack, since it took the team a year (at least) longer than it should have to realize Ryan Braun belonged in the OF.
Well, than doesn't it just go further to show that Jack Z does drafts all-hit/no-defense players?

I agree the organization should have moved them all sooner, but the end result is Jack Z drafts a lot of OF. (Again, not that there is anything wrong with that)

I don't think so, since Braun and Hart have adjusted so well to the OF, and Hardy has been rock solid throughout his career. Fielder is the only player you can really label as all-hit/no defense.

IMO, it doesn't matter where you draft them (since Gorman Thomas and Gary Sheffield were originally drafted as shortstops), it's where they end up.

Escobar was signed as a free agent.

I don't think Jack Z. has done a terrible job, but I think some tweaking needs to be done. We need more complete players and I have to think rushing most of our MLB players through the minors is part of the problem.(part of the reason I am in no hurry to see Gamel in the majors. I hope he can stick at 3B) The other part is most of our top players would be better suited to the outfield. We have drafted many players who are better suited to the outfield regardless of where they are playing now. Even our best all around infielder, Hardy, is solid at best defensively.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

We need more complete players and I have to think rushing most of our MLB players through the minors is part of the problem.

Okay, but how exactly is that Zduriencik's fault? He's not the one who decides when to call up players.

I said that most of our players were better suited to play in the outfield regardless of where they were drafted. The only drafted player on our MLB team who should actually be playing in the infield is Hardy.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I've harped on my opinion about a lack of skill development on the minor league side a couple of times, I know I'm not alone in that opinion. All players have issues that need to be ironed out in the minors, it's just that most our top talent has defensive issues, issues which don't seem to make much progress from year to year, at least statistically. Gamel's improved defense this season is the first time I recall a meaningful reduction in errors from one year to the next going back to when I first started following the minors on this site. Salome, Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Hall (he not a good defensive player at any position including SS), Hart played 3 positions in 3 years... not a good track record by any standard. The only 2 good defenders were naturals from the start in Hardy and Escobar.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Mariners Name Zduriencik GM…Milwaukee Fans Weep

Seattle Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln and President Chuck Armstrong announced today that Jack Zduriencik (zur-EN-sik) has been named the Mariners new Executive Vice President & General Manager of Baseball Operations.

More from the press release…

"Today is a very exciting day for the Mariners," Armstrong said. "We have spent the past several months looking at a very complete list of potential candidates to become our new General Manager. The individuals we interviewed for the position were excellent. We believe Jack is the best person to provide a new approach and to lead our baseball operations. He has a proven track record of recognizing talent, both on the field and in the front office."

"Jack is extremely well-respected throughout baseball," Lincoln said. "His track record in recognizing and developing young talent in Milwaukee was instrumental in the Brewers steady improvement over the past several seasons. I am very excited about the passion and leadership he will bring to our organization.

Zduriencik, 57 (born January 11, 1951), becomes the eighth full time General Manager in Mariners history. He spent the past nine seasons with the Milwaukee Brewers. He was promoted to VicePresident - Special Assistant to the G.M. for Player Personnel on Jan. 15, 2008. He spent the previous two years (2006-2007) as Special Assistant to the G.M./Director of Amateur Scouting after being hired by the Brewers as Director of Scouting on Oct. 25, 1999.

Following the 2007 season, Zduriencik was named Executive of the Year by Baseball America, becoming the first non-GM to ever win the award.

"I am very excited by this opportunity," Zduriencik said. "Seattle is an outstanding organization with great fans, a great ballpark and an ownership group committed to the goal of bringing a World Series to the Northwest. I believe that working together, we can make the Mariners a model franchise. I am looking forward to getting to work immediately, and developing a plan to reach our goal."

A 25-year veteran in Major League Baseball, Zduriencik worked with four MLB organizations prior to joining the Mariners. In addition to the Brewers, Zduriencik was Director of International Scouting & Special Assistant to the GM for the LA Dodgers in 1999. Zduriencik spent two stints with the New York Mets, beginning his career in New York as an area scout (1983-89), scouting crosschecker (1990, 1994-95), Minor League Operations Director (1996-97) and Special Assistant to the GM (1998). He also worked as the Mets Advance Scout during its playoff runs in 1986 and 1988. Between stints in New York, Zduriencik was Director of Scouting for the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1991-93.

Archived