Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training 2009 Travel Thread

We took a tour of Chase Field during our spring training visit in 2007. The timing wasn't ideal, because they were rushing to complete the D-Backs' color scheme changeover (from purple-and-teal to sedona-red-and-black), and as a result some sections normally on the tour weren't available. But that shouldn't be a factor anymore.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went to Chase Field for the innaugural WBC, that was pretty cool. The stadium reminded me a lot of Miller Park. The only problem I had was finding someone that actually knew what it was. It was right around the changing of name from the Bank One Ballpark. I was kind of disappointed about the turnout, not many fans out for the game, granted it was Canada vs. USA, but it was still pretty cool

I'm going to be heading down to Maryvale on the 12th and I just purchased a nice Sangean portable radio and I was wondering if any of the spring training games are broadcast locally on the radio down there because a couple days I will be golfing during the games? Anyone know? Thanks

Got a message in the inbox today with a site worth checking out for some S/T info:

Brian,
I thought you might enjoy a couple of pieces I've written about the Brewers' spring training ballpark.
An article about the stadium:

...and everything you need to know about going to a game there:

Hopefully you and other Brewers fans will enjoy!

lol, I like this quote...

Ballpark Area Info

Maryvale was once a nice neighborhood. But those days are long gone. To be politically correct, the ballpark is now in an economically depressed section of Phoenix. Essentially, you go to Maryvale, watch the game and leave, although you do have the option of eating at one of the nearby restaurants. To be fair, Maryvale is nowhere near being a slum. It's just a neighborhood where inglés is a second language and you don't want to be after dark.

--------------------------------------

However it is true, when I was at the A's game on the 27th, I sat next to some folks from Milwaukee who were asking me about the Maryvale area, I basically told them the same thing this article says. There is some great authentic Mexican food over in that area though...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Formerly AirShuttle6104

I leave in 2 weeks and we are going to check out Tempe Diablo stadium for the Angels vs Brewers game. Last year, we also saw the Brewers play the DBacks in Tucson and the Padres in Peoria. The stadium in Peoria is really nice, but the one in Tucson was kind of a dump. I can't wait to get down there though.

Ugghhh!!. I hate it when I type out a post and then hit "post" and it tells me to sign in and it doesn't save my post!!

Anyways, just got back from our 7th straight trip down do Phoenix for spring training. A few thoughts.

- Might be my imagination, but surely seems to be more Brewer fans than 6 or 7 years ago. It was especially noticeable at the March first Brewers/Giants game in Scottsdale.

- We usually arrive on Saturday and leave on Friday, so the only weekend game we go to is on a Sunday. This year we went Thurs - Weds. Much bigger crowds on weekends. More locals and college kids. I hate crowds. I realize that Spring training is a more relaxed social atmosphere, but I thought the economy was bad. How can people(particularly college students) afford to pay for parking admission and overpriced beer and spend the whole game socializing and maybe catching 4 or 5 ABs of the game? Why not just go to a bar?

- I love driving in Phoenix. There are so many options to get to different places and most of the main side roads are wide with plenty of lanes. However, I don't like the new DOT speed cameras on the free way. How do these things work? Is there a threshold? If I'm doing 70 in a 65 will it send me a ticket? If so, I'm in trouble. I will say that I noticed a considerable difference in the speeds on the free way, so it appears to accomplishing it's objective.

Edit: Oh...and my son got the Casey McGehee HR ball from the March 3rd game vs. Colorado! He was pretty excited.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

They say that if you do 56 in a 55 you'll be getting a ticket but you can do up to 75 in a 65 and not get one. Strange way of setting up the photo radar but it was a story in the Arizona Republic some time ago when the cameras first went up. They are frustrating. Some substitute school teacher went crazy and took out a camera with a pick ax, was seen by a police officer and was hit with the ticket as well as more charges for damaging property.

To go with the above post, just do what everyone down here does, drive up to the yellow sign where it says "Speed Cameras 300 Feet" and then slam on your breaks. You'll be just fine!

Edit: The actual "limit" is 76. Go 77 and you're nailed.

Hey all..Well the drive from WI to AZ is pretty long but man I'm pumped for game 1 today.....I'll be going to the next 6 so if anyone is reading this and is going to the games too it would be cool to meet up at the game....here is my number 920-205-5583...hope to see some of you guys

My group is leaving on Saturday night after I get done with work at 7 p.m. We're driving in shifts and hope to make it in about 25-30 hours depending on what we stop to see and where. We're going to the Monday game, so we're not in a big hurry.

I'm a bit concerned because no one else is worried about finding a place to stay. I am, but don't seem to be making any headway. Anyone know of any cheaper options outside of the Phoenix area?

My dad ansI drove from WI Sunday night with astop over in Oklahoma City on Monday. We got here at noon on Tuesday. We went to the new facility at Camelback Ranch for the white sox game, very nice. A lot of people were buzzing about manny making his debut for the dodgers there tommorrow. I will be at the padres game on thursday wearing a green batting practice jersey if anyone wants to say hi.

We leave on Monday. I can't get this image out of my mind:

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/rbrandtjen/Picture1.jpg

I hope it stays like that. I'll probably be at the game Thursday if anyone wants to have a beer.

I got to meet our own agent39 today. It was nice to talk with you today Josh! I wish you and half of the Brewers minor league system that you represent the best of luck.

I was able to get a few autographs that I've been longing to get... Jeremy Jeffress, Brent Brewer, and Brett Lawrie during a 10 inning simulated game. Both Brewer & Lawrie each made a couple of sparkling defensive plays in the field. Jeffress looked like a man amongst boys out there. It's hard not to be excited about that kid.

I was also able to get Rottino to sign his game-used jersey from his 2006 rookie year. Great day all around!

I checked out that game for a few minutes today. Wheeler is bigger than I thought he was. He's like a taller Salome/mini-Prince. Good to know. I need to get out there earlier for the minor games. Is there a schedule, or regular time.. I'm not CLOSE to Maryvale, so I don't want to take random trips there, but I'd love to see our guys do that again.

Any info?

Well its been one helluva day! Started off by hiking up Camelback Mountain with my girlfriend and I proposed at the top and she said yes! Then we watched the Crew clobber Greinke! If Duffy doesn't have a spot locked up I would be shocked. His bat looks very quick and smooth. McGehee also has a nice stroke and hit a couple balls hard today. He looks very comfotable and like he belongs. I would suffice it to say that Prince has his timing down. Wow! There was a bloop hit to left today that Trot did not appear to try too hard for. Gallardo looked great! He just continues to blow that straight fastball by people. Hoffman threw another clean inning. Got some great pics of him. DiFelice continues to impress! 3 IP and 6 k's! Rickie absolutely crushed his HR. Got Gamel, Nelson, Duffy, and Macha to sign after the game. Got there late so I didn't get anyone beforehand. Going again tomorrow vs the Dodgers. Will post more

Archived