Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training 2009 Travel Thread

Does anybody know when they release the schedule for Spring Training 2009? I am looking into booking flight and hotel and would like to get to go to at least one night game. I didn't see a schedule on the Brewers website. Thanks.

---------------------------

This thread has been added to the Designated Threads List. --1992

---------------------------

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a post written that got eaten by Yuku.

However, my experience from past years is that the Brewers are very erratic about when they release their ST schedule. Sometime it's already out by now, other times it does not get released until late November.

I'm ticked at myself because I already booked my package for ST next year because, my past experience taught me that I can usually save money by booking early. Not this year. I think I could have saved about $500 if I waited until now. Not to mention, I really wanted to book my vacation from Feb 26th - March 4th, but I was worried they would not be playing games yet because of the season starting later than usual next year. So I booked March 5th - March 11th. Turns out they are starting ST games on Feb 26th because of the World Baseball Classic and will have a lot more open dates in the ST schedule.

I like to use this site to check for schedules:

http://www.springtraining....com/teams/la_dodgers.htm

Sometimes other teams release their schedules prior to the Brewers and you can piece together some of the Brewer's' schedule using the other team's' schedules.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Thanks. It seems a lot cheaper right now to get a flight to Arizona and hotel than it was last year. Last year, flight and hotel was well over $700 and this year I've seen it in the $500 range, but I'm sure that will go up. I'd like to see the actual schedule first though before I book so I can see what games I'm going to so I will wait I think.

Moving to FL was raised before and I remember somewhere reading that it wasn't even a consideration.

If such a move were to happen, announcing it now or even later would amount to be late in the 11th hour and would only seem justified if the entire ST facility were wiped out by a natural disaster or they needed a new home on some other emergency basis.

In all honesty unless you're extremely limited as far as time out here, theres games every day and the stadium doesn't matter one bit. Don't worry about trying to see them "at home" or anything like that. Do we have a "tips to ST games" thread yet?

Could it possibly be that they are moving Spring Training to Florida as to why they haven't released the schedule yet?
Are you saying this to bait me? If you took part in the "Brewers moving ST to Florida?" thread, you know my thoughts on this. I'm not aware of any team that has released their ST schedule yet.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

In all honesty unless you're extremely limited as far as time out here, theres games every day and the stadium doesn't matter one bit.
Actually, the schedule this year may not be as full as previous years. From Springtrainingonline.com:
Spring training to be extended a week to accommodate World Baseball Classic

Posted September 23, 2008

Spring training in 2009 will run Feb. 14 through the end of March, with games beginning around Feb. 25. The long-than-usual schedule is to allow players to participate in a drawn-out World Baseball Classic, slated to run March 5-March 23. Under a normal schedule, spring training -- in terms of the players reporting -- would begin Feb. 20. It is a complicated thing, to be sure: MLB players on the WBC rosters of China, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan, as well as pitchers and catchers, will report on Feb. 14. All players will report by Feb. 17. No games will be added to the spring schedule, however; it does mean more open dates during March.

Also, I would tend to differ about the stadium not mattering one bit. Our family likes to sit out in the OF berm (spl?) when we go to games. Not all venues have this (Oakland for example...if I'm not mistaken).

Phoenix Municipal (Oakland's field) is about the only one without an outfield berm. Chances are PRETTY GOOD that an outfield berm wouldn't effect your trips too much. If you want cheap tickets, you can usually get them for a pretty good price on Phoenix Craigslist while you're down here.

Spring Training moves don't happen this late in the game. I'd expect that we'd hear about a move at least a full year ahead of time, if not two.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 3 weeks later...

Spring Training Online is starting to post some partial schedules for 2009 ST. If you scroll down on the left hand side and click on the teams and then click on the schedule link you can find them. They only have two scheduled games listed for the Brewers. However, if you click on other Cactus league teams you can see some of their partial schedules and games that they have scheduled against the Brewers...so you can start to piece together part of the Brewer's ST schedule if you would like to.

I also noticed that the Brewers first ST game was mentioned on my season ticket renewal form. Can't remember who it was against though.

edit: I just realized you can click on the "master schedule" at the bottom of the list of teams and get a calander of all the games for all the teams that are scheduled so far.

I don't have our season ticket renewal thing at hand right now, but I think the first ST game is vs. Oakland at Maryvale.

I definitely remember the date of the first game, as it is also my birthday : February 25.

Edit: I checked the flyer at home Friday night. First spring training game is February 25 vs. Oakland at Maryvale.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I seem to remember the Brewers first ST game is usually against the A's on a Thursday at Maryvale. I could be wrong, but I try to get to that game every year. Almost no one in the crowd, $6 lawn seat that becomes a few rows back of the Brewers dug out.

The week of March 15 looks fairly solid with the following games (from the ST schedule released so far):

Sunday 3/15 - MIL at CLE (Goodyear; weird to see Cleveland on the schedule since it's their first year back to AZ)

Monday 3/16 - CHC at MIL (Maryvale)

Thursday 3/19 - CLE at MIL (Maryvale)

Friday 3/20 - MIL at SEA (Peoria)

Saturday 3/21 - MIL at LAA (Tempe)

Sunday 3/22 - SF at MIL (Maryvale)

Looks the the World Baseball Classic is scheduled for round 2 March 14 - 19.

Now on to looking at airline prices...

Tuesdays - Will I see you down there again this year?

• 3 weeks later...
The whole schedule has been released at the cactus league website. Im thinking the best time to go down will be at the start. The Brewers will even be playing one of the WBC teams on March 5th. Anybody have any deals on airfare from Milwaukee? With the Packers loss last night I decided to switch to Brewers mode by buying my 20 game pack today and starting the plans to Phoenix.

Archived