Brewer Fanatic

4/17/06 Brewers (Bush) @ Astros (Buchholz) 7:05 CST

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
what's funny is that assuming they can win Wednesday, if they can steal one tomorrow vs Oswalt, then it'll be a very successful roadtrip

bwahahhahaha so u are really sayin ga 3-6 road trip successful?

I'm pretty bad at math, but i believe that would be a 4-5 trip. And against those three teams on the road, yes i would consider a 4-5 trip a success.

You are the winner!!!! I was waiting for someone to tell me it was "only April". These sort of things set the tone for the season. Disappointing losses like these are telling of the character of the ballclub and the way that clutch hitting is non-existent. The worst hitting team in the MLB and you're telling me there's a chance? Our pitching is good....but not nearly good enough to carry us all season long. Yost has to get his head out of his lower extremities and start switching up the batting order or putting guys in there who can hit (ie. Gross!!! Hart!!!). Mix it up. If Yost's definition of mixing it up is putting Chad Moeller in there, then good luck.

I think it's difficult to prove that in 13 games any sort of "tone" has been set for the season. Weren't all of our first 5 victories the come from behind variety? That we finally got a lead and were unable to hold it is disappointing to be sure, but we've already shown a short history of being able to come from behind and win ball games.

And I think it's even more difficult to extrapolate that this team will continue to be the worst hitting team in MLB for the remaining 149 games. Just 2 games ago their were multiple threads calling for Jenkins head, and here he is once again getting into a groove and the talk dies down. Three games into the season people were calling for Prince to platoon, and now he's settling in nicely at the plate. Does anyone really think that Clark is a .527 OPS hitter? Or that Miller is a .429 OPS hitter? Or conversely that Gross is a 1.048 OPS hitter? It's incredibly early in the season, and as such stats tend to fluctuate wildly and rapidly. As we get further into the season we'll have a much better idea of just where this team stands offensively.

Also, have you even considered that since this team is so young, that it also has an incredibly good chance of improving during the course of the season? That should also help curb some of your early pessimism about their start.

As for the pitching, the rotation is the one thing I have no qualms about. It's talented, young, deep, and very, very good. As an added bonus we have talented young starters waiting for a shot in Nashville. The bullpen OTOH, does still have question marks, but I wouldn't call it a sore spot by any means. But I do think it is apparant that for stretches, this team is going to live and die by it's bullpen, and by it's rotation as well.

One other thing I noticed in the "What weaknesses does this team have?" thread was that the most common answer was backup catcher. To me that means that people had some very high expectations of this team, and I think they might have been slightly misplaced. This is probably the best team we've fielded in about 15 years, but there are still weaknesses, and those weaknesses will frustrate us as fans many times throughot the course of a season.

But the one thing I can't iterate enough is that a baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. You can't get too upset about small stretches here or there or you'll burn yourself out.

I think all of us have gone through stretches where we've voiced our frustration. Some of you seem to be upset that all of us aren't venting to the same degree you are. But I know in my case, it's just a matter of coming to the realization that nothing I say or do is going to change the outcome. And minus the whining, complaining, and throwing fits I find that I'm able to put losses like these behind me much quicker.

Edit: See now isn't that a 100 times more constructive way to speak to someone who is venting and complaining?

i think this loss really made everyone mad..especially coming off the pathetic hitting they showed yesterday...people are getting on other people...we are all on the message board trying to find a way to vent a little..bottom line, we are all Brewers fans and we really want them to do well...It's a very young team..most of the players are probably younger than the posters on here

Do some of you realize some stats mean jack crap? Apparently not.

You're in the wrong place to try that one.

Wise before LAST year was a NOBODY, and last year he made a name for himself and did well, but NEVER ONCE has he been a guy on a PLAYOFF caliber team that gets the job done when it matters most.

On the other hand, he's never failed in that situation, so he has a perfect record! Two can play that game.

Just because folks wanna post their distaste for this TEAM doesnt give the right for some to CHALLENGE others opinions.

We're not supposed to challenge opinions?! Even unfactual (i.e. not true) ones?

Its usually stuff here and it needs to change if this board wants to be great. Jeesh!

If you're saying your purpose here is to take the board to the next level, I'd have to disagree. Every post of yours is some variation on " SUCKS. I TOLD you so, this team is going to be horrible!" I don't think that's doing much of anything except demonstrating what reasoned, logical, constructive conversation (negative or otherwise) is *not* like.

Its usually stuff here and it needs to change if this board wants to be great. Jeesh!

Your right man this forum is under.500 at the moment if this forum wants to make the playoffs we need to pick it up the power hitters like rzlunski ajay need to stop striking out

The only consistant hitter on our team is badgerfan, and he is due for a contract extension at the end of this year i hope we pick it up.

if we lose tomorro wt he espn boards im gonna give up on the season though

Katulu, I refer you to Brian's post above.

O brother...

If people want to irrationally vent, I suggest the "Official Venting Thread". You can tear into any player (not brewerfan.net member, of course) you want and no one is going to ask you to justify your statement.

"I'm rluzinski and I'm not only the founder of the Official Venting thread (Part II), I'm lalso a member!"

Your right man this forum is under.500 at the moment if this forum wants to make the playoffs we need to pick it up the power hitters like rzlunski ajay need to stop striking out

No, the real problem is that Brian keeps making people bunt.. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Quote:
04/18/06 - Brewerfan.net - timeisnow34 and WhiskyBadger designated for assignment.

Can Badgerfan be traded for past considerations?

Does "designated for assingment" mean that we won't be seeing those particular posters around these parts any longer? Because if that's the case, I might just start posting in the IGTs again. I've reclused myself for the past few games because I was pretty close to going off a few times last week, and I really don't want to be banned. It's unfortunate that a couple posters have to muck up what was a very good, albeit frustrating, IGT.

Does "designated for assingment" mean that we won't be seeing those particular posters around these parts any longer? Because if that's the case, I might just start posting in the IGTs again. I've reclused myself for the past few games because I was pretty close to going off a few times last week

Yes it does, and you weren't alone. C'mon back!

Quote:
Yes it does, and you weren't alone. C'mon back!

Yay! That's why this forum is world-class. While I'm sure that there will always be a few "negative ninnies" around here, and emotions will boil over once in a while, I have nothing but respect for the way the moderators run this board. I probably get a little too emotional at times, so I will keep myself in check as well.

Thanks, mods.

I don't mind some negative thinking (I've been a brewer fan for all 24 years of my life; I know it!) and some discussion and even argument - but when these guys start sounding like scrub fan trolls, it strays a bit far into the area of ridiculous.

It was getting really hard to even read threads anymore.

I am an Astros fan and stumbled across this site a couple of years ago to keep up with a couple of teammates of mine in high school that Milwaukee had drafted. Anyway I read it every now and then, and just remember, we were 15-30 last year and it looked really bleak. There are still 150 games to go, don't get down just yet.

Can Badgerfan be traded for past considerations?

I know Badgerfan ruffled quite a few feathers when he first joined, but I really think he's toned down since then and started to make some solid posts.

[ Can Badgerfan be traded for past considerations? ]

Let's not call users out like that. I'm not interested in turning Brewerfan.net into a game of Survivor, where people get voted off the island. If people have complaints about other users, i'd prefer they be sent privately to moderators so we can see if there's some kind of violation or pattern of (mis)behavior that we need to act on.

Quote:
Let's not call users out like that. I'm not interested in turning Brewerfan.net into a game of Survivor, where people get voted off the island.

Sorry Brian, I thought I was being humorous in keeping with the "Brewerfan transactions" idea.

In response to the Astro fan- Would it be possible to put a keg of beer at second base so in order for runners to get past second they have to slam a plastic cup of beer?

Good grief that stadium is Coors South this series.

Archived