Brewer Fanatic

Happy for Jenkins?

dayzedcrewfan
As a fan who griped about and cheered for Geoff Jenkins a lot in his career at Milwaukee, in a weird way I am actually happy for him to be on a team that may go to the World Series. Although he was hurt and maybe didn't play a pivotal role for thier ballclub, I feel he has had a good career and is one of those players who you like to see be a part of a good post-season run. After the Matt Stairs home run last night, when I saw Geoff in the bullpen, it got me thinking about it and wondering what the rest of your opinions would be on the subject. Any thoughts?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't have much reaction. I guess I never put much stock into guys who get championship rings for being backup players or tag-along players. As you mentioned, Jenkins has not really played much of a role with that team and so to me it is not a big deal. I guess I am happy he gets to witness something like this in person and he may become a "World Champion" if things go well for the Phillies. But I don't want to see him gloat or get all excited about getting a ring when clearly he had little do with it. In fact, it is almost just as interesting that the Brewers made it to the playoffs after dumping him to get better.

But I do like the guy . . . so there is nothing personal.

I'm a big Jenks fan and I'm happy to see him having fun with them and would be very happy to see him get a ring, regardless of how much he played.

It's similar to when Big Dog got a ring with the Spurs at the end of his career. Always was a fan and was happy for him.

I'm hoping the Phillies get to the World Series, play the Rays, but lose, just so Jenkins can say, "Great, now I have to come back to Philly in 10 year, 20 years, 25 years, and maybe even 50 years to celebrate another one of those anniversaries for a pennant winner."

And then he'll pause and say, "Wait a minute, they only do that in Milwaukee. I'm okay after all."

Seriously, I didn't see the Stairs home run or the Jenkins reaction at all (still haven't) but I'm sure it was "kid-in-a-candy-store"-ish. Good for him. I'm glad that he would have went to the playoffs had he stayed in Milwaukee, too, but got to do it on his new team also.

But really I want the Rays to win it all so I won't be all that happy that he won a title the year after he was with the Crew.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

About as happy I would be for Brett Favre if he survives until the playoffs. I chose the historic team in the divorce, or as my friends force me to say, "I've decided to go with Ted." (An homage to my fave show, Curb) I guess, when it comes down to it, I would say my happiness for Jenkins will probably be comparable to the happiness Boston fans will feel for Manny as they watch him take on the Rays.

Except that Manny got to play on a good team and won some rings while in Boston. Geoff played for some horrid teams while here when he could have went to free agency. Since the Brewers got eliminated, I'm cheering for Jenkins to get a ring. Even if he didn't contribute much to the team, I'm happy when such a great guy gets rewarded at the end of his career.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I was hoping for a Dodgers series win.
Me too. The Dodgers are actually my second favorite team, and have been for a long time, for whatever reason. Looks like Philly has their number, though.

As far as Jenkins, I'm happy for the guy. I was never a huge fan of his when he was on the Brewers, but appreciated that he stayed with the team for so long, through some rough times. I don't think the fact that he has been more of a bench player will diminish the accomplishment of getting a ring for him, if Philly does win it.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Is Jenkins injured?

He seems like a decent guy. He gave his best years playing for really rotten Brewer teams, but he was not part of the problem in those days. I hope he's enjoying the run, but it must be a little bittersweet for him, knowing he isn't a quality player anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

My reaction would be: "What was he doing in the bullpen?" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif No, I'm happy for him. Although, I am rooting for TB to win it all.

Does anyone else think it wierd the Jenkins and his look-alike Favre (or was it the other way around) left WI about the same time? Or is it wierder that Braun and his look-alike Rogers came about the same time? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Is Jenkins injured?

He seems like a decent guy. He gave his best years playing for really rotten Brewer teams, but he was not part of the problem in those days. I hope he's enjoying the run, but it must be a little bittersweet for him, knowing he isn't a quality player anymore.

He had some injury issues this year, but was generally fairly unproductive when he was playing. In 293 ABs this year:.246, .301, .392, .694OPS. 9HR, 29RBIs.

Looks like it was wise for the Brewers to let him walk.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I didn't see the Stairs home run or the Jenkins reaction at all (still haven't) but I'm sure it was "kid-in-a-candy-store"-ish.

You nailed it, pitchleague. It was a fun moment to watch -- in fact, Jenkins has often been the first guy on the steps to congratulate his teammates this postseason (not just the Stairs HR).

The first thing I thought of with Jenkins when the Phils won the East was, 'He didn't even have to pee his pants...'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator
It seems to me like Jenkins plays a role on the team even if he doesn't play very much. He was always a big clubhouse guy in Milwaukee and he's probably the same way in Philadelphia. It's been great to see Jenkins have a good time in Philly and I would hope that he returns to Milwaukee after his contract in Philly to play a Gabe Kapler-like role.

I am. Have always liked Jenkins. Never thought he got enough credit for his defense.

I remember one game quite awhile ago. I was lucky enough to have field level seats behind the opposing teams dugout. He threw out two or three guys trying to take the extra base on him that day. I would stand up and yell, "when are you guys going to learn...DON'T RUN ON GEOFF JENKINS."

His reaction when Stairs got back to the dugout after the HR was the first thing I noticed.

I was at a game a few years back against the Twins in MP. Great, close game. Here's how I recall it. Twins had bases loaded. Batter hits blooper over 1B along the RF line. Jenkins comes screaming in, catches the ball on one bounce, keeps his stride and throws a dart home to tag out the runner. A single with the bases loaded and nobody scores!

Another play, a couple years before. Jenkins crashes into the LF corner wall, against his left shoulder. Still against the wall he makes a perfect throw to 1B to double up the runner trying to tag. Great catch, outstanding throw. Maybe the best throw from OF I've ever seen.

Jenks proved that his career is winding down with another poor season by him.

I'm rooting for the Rays to beat the Phillies and for Gross to get the ring over Jenks.

I wonder if the Brewers could get all of Jenks playoff money to recoup some of the money he stole from the team over his time in a Brewer uniform.

I'm happy for him. . .

He's a classy guy and it's nice when nice guys get prizes.

I like Jimmy Rollins and Chase Utley, too. And Shane Victorino, who I saw playing for the Jacksonville Suns, when I lived in Jacksonville.

I guess I'm happiest for Jamie Moyer. It's nice that he gets some attention after his long career.

I guess I'm just happy for everyone.

My only hope is if Brett Myers wins a ring, he loses it to his wife in a divorce settlement, or just loses it in a swamp somewhere after a session of binge drinking.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived