Brewer Fanatic

What is Hardy worth?

brewerguy71

I think it would be a huge mistake to trade Hardy instead of Fielder, no matter what they might get offered for Hardy. Especially if it turns out that Gamel can't play 3B. It's a lot easier to find a 1B than it is to find a 3B.

I don't care if his value is sky high, his value to the Brewers is just as high, because they have no one good enough to play 3B on an everyday basis right now. The less Counsell and Hall have to play, the better off this team will be. Unless Hall miraculously finds his 2005-06 season form again, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still say trade from a surpluss. It makes ecnomics sense because the Crew have capable backups and it makes sense financially because the Brewers will not pay everyone who is arbitration elgible. Of course if Peavy is available then this goes out the window cause then they would probably move Esobar in a package, if they even have a chance at Peavy.

Peavy has a shot list of teams he wants to play for, and the Brewers arent one of them. If they were to pursue Peavy, it would probably cost them Gamel, Jeffress and one of the lower level OF prospects in the system as well as a guy like Dillard or DeFelice.

I agree though about trading from a surplus, but Hardy is the one that should go. Escobar is the better shortstop, and Hardy is older and more expensive, and in my opinion, topped out. There is no better time than now to trade Hardy and get the best return, and improve the team outward into the future.

Every single advanced defensive metric I've seen rates Hall as a good to very good 3B defensively.

Of course they have rated him as one of the worst hitters in baseball over the last 2 years too. I'm fine with Hall's defense, just wish he could hit.

I know Hall plays 3B, so can Counsell and Branyan.

I want someone there who will be in the top half of the league in both offense and defense, without a platoon system, and without having to give up any prospects to trade for him.

I think Hardy can easily do that. And I think Escobar could put up Hall/Counsell 2008 numbers in 2009 if he had to start everyday. I'm fully confident Escobar can put up better than 2008 Hall/Counsell numbers in 2010. Also with far superior defense at both 3B and SS.

The only part of a Hall/Counsell/Branyan platoon Escobar has a chance of out hitting is the Counsell vs RHP part. He has almost no chance at all of out hitting any platoon combination of those players.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The only part of a Hall/Counsell/Branyan platoon Escobar has a chance of out hitting is the Counsell vs RHP part. He has almost no chance at all of out hitting any platoon combination of those players.

Escobar doesn't hit righties very well so I doubt he even outhits that part of it.

Archived