Brewer Fanatic

How does the Brewer's minor league effect the offseason?

CheezWizHed
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Wasn't sure were to put this since it deals with minor leaguers contributing to the major league team, so please move if I'm in the wrong spot...

There has been a lot of talk about trades and free agents for 2009 (and beyond), so I thought I would bring up the third leg. Who do you expect to be contributors for next couple years from the minors?

Stetter - Start of 2009
Dillon - Start of 2009 - Not sure why they didn't use him more this year...
Nelson - Possible injury fill-in for 2009. Doubt he starts there.
Gamel - Late 2009 at the earliest - I think the longer he is in the minors, the better chance of sticking at 3rd.
Escobar - Start of 2010 - I want to see another strong year at the plate. Although, depending on need/injury, Gamel or Escobar could come up earlier.
Aguilar - Late 2009/2010: If he keeps going like this year, he could be used for late season call-up/injury replacement. Passing up Pena here...
Pena - Start of 2010 - After last year, he will probably need at least one more in AAA.
Cain - Start of 2010 - Replaces Cameron (assuming Cameron's option is picked up for 2009).
Jeffress - Start/Mid 2010 - Needs to build up his innings or he won't be strong enough for late season.
Salome - Start/Mid 2010 - Another year purely for defense.
Green - Mid 2010: Depends on what is done at 2B/3B next year.
Gillispie - Mid 2010: I see him bouncing between the Major/Minor for 2010.
Brae Wright - Don't know much about him, but the P50 states possible call-up in 2009?

Now, I'm assuming a few things here (lack of injuries, consistant progress, etc...), but it seems that the next wave of prospects starts in 2009, but the tidal wave hits in 2010. Not all of them will have an impact, of course, but this is the most likely way we will improve.

Nelson is out of options so he would either have to start with the team in 2009 or be gone.
Forgot about that. But if he was DFAed, do you think he would be claimed?

I was more focused on the others anyway, since I don't see Nelson starting (at least for a while), but the others I do (or frontline relievers).

Overall I think the minors are going to be used more for reserve roles next year simply because our starters are going to cost more and the need for the proverbial veteran presence has diminished somewhat with the maturing core of players. I think it would be a good time to get some cheap young help experience to maintain a smoother transition when the current core moves on.

Rottino might end up as the backup catcher if for no other reason than to learn from Kendall. I think Nelson gets a shot at the top lefty off the bench and spot duty in the outfield. My dark horse canidate is Crabbe at second base. I have no idea how his defense is so maybe someone, (JJHardy I'm looking at you for help here) could enlighten me. Offensively he gets on base, can steal bases at a decent clip and is a switch hitter so he might be someone who can help balance the offense some. If he is good defensively and we can get something pitching wise for Weeks I could see them giving him a shot.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Of course much has to go right for this to happen, but I'm seeing something like this:

2009:
OF: Braun, Cameron, Hart
3B: ??? - Biggest positional need, don't think Gamel is ready for it. Would only need a stop-gap player.
SS: Hardy
2B: Weeks - I could live with an upgrade here, but ...
1B: Fielder
C: Kendall
SP: Yo, Parra, FA Signing, Bush/McClung, Suppan - Perhaps Lowe?

2010: This is were the waters muddy...
OF: Braun, Cain, Hart*
3B/SS/2B: Escobar/Hardy/Green - I think Green will be here in 2010.5 or 2011. You pick the order
1B: Fielder*
C: Kendall/Salome - don't think Salome will do this alone.
SP: Yo, Parra, FA Signing from 2009, Bush/McClung, Jefferson - Suppan to ??? (spot start/long relief, as I don't see a trade happening)

* - Ok, I see Gamel fitting in there somewhere, as I expect one of these to get traded. I'm still rooting for him to stick at 3B, but not expecting it. If it does happen, Green to 2B, Gamel to 3B, trade one of Hardy/Escobar.

So, if we can get a strong FA SP in 2009, I think we will have a strong team in 2009 and even better in 2010 (although, I'm relying on a lot of rooks in 2010). Plus in 2010, I'm not even speculating who we get in trading Hart/Fielder and/or Weeks or Hall.

Edited - spelling -2x , added 2010 catcher

My dark horse canidate is Crabbe at second base. I have no idea how his defense is so maybe someone, (JJHardy I'm looking at you for help here) could enlighten me.

I like his defense at second base. I personally think he's at least average for a starting 2b in the bigs and probably better at defense than most backup 2b. The main issue/question with Crabbe is can he be a super sub and play SS? The Padres had him there briefly, but he hasn't played SS all that much in the Brewers organization. He has played OF a bit in Nashville (Kremblas pretty much played almost everyone he's had there for a few games) and I think that helps his value a bit. I don't think he could be a 4th OF, but in a jam he could fit in there for awhile.

I do not think he'll be on the 2009 opening day roster though. The Brewers had a few situations arise in the past and Crabbe never was called up. It starts to make me wonder how much longer he'll be in the Brewers organization. I'd personally like to see him up in Milwaukee and be given a fair amount of time -- his career OBP in the minors is almost .100 points higher than his batting average. Even in the bigs last year (small sample alert - 34 at bats) his OBP was over .100 points higher than his batting average.

Archived