Brewer Fanatic

Discussion on Host Family Status

SunGrasses

wvpowerblkwel stated: "I generally comment on the kids that we have done host duty for... "

While it is nice to say that West Virginia Power has host parents, they sure leave a lot to be desired. The host family that we had immediate contact with was very helpful, supportive and nice. But, as a whole, the organization was not very organized.

The players arrived from Arizona on Monday, March 31st, where they stayed in team supplied hotel rooms for 2 days. Then, the season opened with a 5 day road trip. Upon arrival back to Charleston, there was no team hotel. They had no place to live. Many players, and at least one coach, were sleeping on the clubhouse floor on air mattresses, if they could get one. Since the team had arrived by plane, no one had vehicles to go buy supplies or food, or find place to stay. They were able to get pillows and blankets at the Dollar General next door. They ate in the clubhouse or the restaurant at the field. Some ate at the hospital cafeteria.

While I don't have personal knowledge of every player's situation, and certainly not of the above poster's situation, I do know that our son's host family let several players stay at their home while they helped them find an apartment. His host mother never let our son or two others sleep on the clubhouse floor. She tried her best with what little she had. Her family was a blessing to the players they hosted. A few days later, they found an apartment and she gave them some kitchen items, a bean bag chair, 1 fitted sheet each, one towel and wash cloth each.

It was April 12 when the host parent organization opened up a garage with items available for the players' use. This was a help to many players and they were grateful for it. It was our understanding that the garage was unable to be opened before then. Something about a key...

We drove 15 hours with supplies and furniture for our son and his roommates. We loaded a truck with a futon, double bed, a TV, and other items. We filled the fridge with food. We went to an estate sale in Charleston and bought hangers, towels, sheets, kitchen utensils, plates, bowls, fans, etc. for the players in his apartment. When he left WV, our son left everything there for other players to use because he knew how hard it would be for them.

I spoke to a host parent on April 13th and asked where her player was living. She told me that their player was living in the clubhouse. I was embarrassed for her because she didn't even realize how bad that sounded. She was bragging that she was a host mother. I almost started to cry.

The reason I'm stating these facts is because this poster seems to always have something negative to say about players. This poster has no idea how hard it is for them to play their best after sleeping on a hard floor, or having to worry about where they will live, or how they're going to pay for their restaurant food on their meager salary.

With 2000-5000+ fans at nearly every game, (which is tremendous!) it would seem to me that plenty of host parents could be found. I assume it is published when the players would arrive in town and when the season would start. Plans and preparations could be made in advance to accommodate them. Donations could be collected. Supplies could be distributed early among the host parents. Apartments could be located and held. Opening day discounts or free admission should be given to fans that arrive with non-perishable foods or supplies. What isn't used by the players and coaches would be donated to local shelters. What great PR! Everyone wins! The clubhouse floor should be off-limits to pillows!

But, if you're going to host, HOST! Don't just say you host. Maybe West Virginia needs to call Helena to see how it's done.

Since this poster seems compelled to critique the players, usually in a negative way, then we feel it is our prerogative to critique the host parents. Yes, the playing situation in Charleston needs to be improved. The players need to get better. So does the host organization.

We realize that baseball is all about hard work, hardship, and sacrifice, which always makes a person stronger. Every one of these young men has made the decision to give it 100% of their ability. Maybe we all should take a lesson from them.

Take it how you want. If I sound like a whining parent, so be it. I'm just stating the facts.

The reason I'm stating these facts is because this poster seems to always have something negative to say about players. This poster has no idea how hard it is for them to play their best after sleeping on a hard floor, or having to worry about where they will live, or how they're going to pay for their restaurant food on their meager salary.

If you are referencing wvpowerblkwel, I don't quite get it. That poster posts all positive things and avoids negative talk. It's a sport and IMO it's ok to point out strengths and weaknesses because it's regarding the player's performance and not the player as a person. Like I said wvpowerblkwel really doesn't go out of their way to bash players.

Every situation in the minors is different and it seems your experience wasn't all that great. I'd be much more upset at the West Virginia organization than wvpowerblkwel or any other host parent. Players usually can sign up for host families or apartments prior to arrival. It seems odd that this happened, but again I'd blame the organization and not others.

A couple questions about SunGrasses posting:

--Wouldn't a player have worked out something as important as housing before the season? For example, when me or friends would do a summer internship back in college, I wouldn't have gone to Madison for the summer without an apt or something lined up. Is it generally expected that the organization does this work for the players so they don't check into it before hand?

--How is a player suppose to fill out and increase power numbers if he has no kitchen or food? Shouldn't the organization be making sure that these kids are well fed?

--Is it like this for all players, or just the "lesser rated" prospects? I can't imagine Prince or Rickie ever had trouble finding food to eat back when they were in the minors...or maybe they were more set up since they had extra money from their signing bonuses.

Thanks for any extra thoughts SunGrasses as this is an aspect that those of us who don't live in a minor league city would never really know about.

Man- wvpowerblkwel just cant win- getting called out in the same thread for being too positive and too negative

I appreciate the insight- too bad you guys won't be a Brewers affiliate next year but I guess thats also a positive for me in that I will be able to attend some games

thebruce44:

When the players are called to Arizona in February and March, they do not know to which team they will later be assigned. There were the usual assumptions and hopes, but nothing from the organization until the day before they flew out to their respective teams. Because of the last minute notice, they were unable to secure an apartment in advance. Once in WV, the players scoured the newspapers for apartments, but were uneasy because they didn't know if the apartments listed were in a safe area. Most could not get around to visit the apartments.

The players pay the clubhouse attendant, the "Clubbie", dues to provide a meal before the game in the clubhouse. He also washes the uniforms. At away games, the players eat hotel breakfast and sandwiches in the clubhouse before the game. They are also given $15.00 per day for meals while on the road. The meal before the game in the home clubhouse varies from day to day, and from team to team. Of course, the higher you go, the better the food. This is in direct correlation to how much money the players have to pay the dues. Higher level = Higher pay = Higher dues = more and better food. PBJ's were a staple in Helena. The real food mostly came from the host family. The host families there were required to provide food and housing to each player. The players paid a nominal fee to the host family for this service.

It appeared to us that in Helena, West Virginia, and Brevard, all players are treated the same, regardless of draft status or signing bonus. Of course, I may be wrong about this. The players who signed for a plane ticket were in dire straights.

In Brevard, there were apartments that had revolving doors for players that came and went. There is no active host family organization in Brevard. The players seemed to take care of each other there. They are all older and have usually been in the program a year or more. The older ones take the newer ones under their wings. I don't know how these apartments were originally secured.

We didn't notice the bewilderment in Helena or Brevard that we saw in West Virginia. It was a frustrating experience.

I don't get it, sungrasses, are you saying that "host families" don't actually host players in their houses? I had assumed it was like an exchange student type thing people had going on where a player stayed in a spare room or something. If they don't do that, what do they do?

And I agree with thebruce44 that it seems stupid and shortsighted for the Brewers to be allowing things like what sungrasses described to happen. They should definitely make sure players have a place to stay and food to eat. Would it cost that much to build a 30-bed dormitory with a kitchen somewhere in town? Or at least have a block of rooms at some motel for the first week of the season until guys can find apartments. It is classless to have people living in the locker room.

Before this gets particularly nasty, I just want to point out that I appreciate the insight from both wvpowerblkwel and SunGrasses. I don't think it is particularly fair to pick on wvpowerblkwel, as he seems to be getting singled out for some issues with the hosting process in Charleston, and he doesn't go out of his way to criticize the players he has had the opportunity to watch play. It is unfair to assume that he is part of this problem, and from what I can tell based on what he shares with us, he is not.

We have had other people affiliated with other teams in the Brewers chain (such as the person who followed the Helena club this past summer, who wasn't shy about criticizing some of the players on that team), and it is always nice to have those opinions shared with us, good or bad, since 99.9% of us don't get to see any of these players, or take in the individual team experiences, in person.

Just to add a little more about the host family experience, as there appears to be an interest. I can talk about Helena.

The "host family" group is an "off-shoot" of the booster club. Dave and Marlene Hughes are the driving force behind each and are truly invaluable to the club, players and baseball in Helena. The Elmore ownership group and front office both are to be applauded as well.

In my experience all players who want to stay with a host family have been able to. Occasionally a player will opt to stay at a motel or rent an apartment at their own expensive but its been a number of years since I can recall a player doing this. Coaches have been offered "host family" opportunities as well. It has not always been easy to find enough hosts, as Helena is a fairly small market, but the booster club has always come thru.

When the players first come to Helena in June the Brewers organization has put them up in motels for a few days. Prior to the start of the season the booster club and Helena front office hosts an informal bar-b-que for all the players, coaches, manager, staff and host families. At this time the players are matched up with their families. All players are treated the same, no special favors for high draft choices. Marlene does a great job playing "matchmaker" and fortunately there are families who can speak Spanish and can help the Latin players. She also keeps things coordinated as players move up, down and out during the course of the season, making sure everyone has a place to stay.

Players are required to pay a nominal monthly "rent", which mostly covers the hosts increased utility costs. There are very few "rules", players sign an agreement with the host family and the family adds anything they want in discussion with the players, mostly "keep the bathroom clean", "don't call long distance" and "no partying" kind of stuff. Different managers have then instituted their own rules as well, including a curfew from one. The hosts are given a season ticket or 38 single tickets for each player they host. As the players are extremely busy, at the park late morning/early afternoon back "home" close to midnight and on the road 1/2 of the season, a sit down dinner with the players is very rare but most hosts are very generous about providing food, leftovers or cold drinks. Most host families I know have let players borrow their extra car and/or have driven players about town as needed. Host families run the gamut from older couples, to families, to singles. Nothing fancy for the most part, players often share rooms. There have been a few problems, occasionally a host and player don't mesh, requiring a change, but this is definitely the exception.. I think the players appreciate staying in a "home", petting the dog, having a "normal" conversation, playing with the kids and just being able to relax a bit and get away from baseball.

I don't want this to sound like a "hurray for the hosts" post. The players have been great too. They are very appreciative of their opportunity, have done good things in the community on their own time and have been most gracious to their host families and the Helena fans. Its really a win win for everyone.

Just to comment on a couple things SunGrasses mentioned. I don't recall any player complaining about PBJ being a staple in Helena. this may have been before I got involved. SunGrasses pretty much nailed it on the duties and responsibilities of the "clubbie" and Jack as done a great job (mostly unsung) here the past couple of years, especially with the food. I will say tho, that the parent club needs to take a bigger role in seeing that these players eat better and are educated on the importance of good nutrition early on in their careers. A few more bucks road money would help avoid the constant fast food and some money each month to the clubbie is needed as well. Its a cheap investment in the player and would be money well spent. As I mentioned before food is not a part of the host family agreement but many families do provide food at no additional cost.

Another area where I believe the Brewers organization could do better is at the close out at the end of the season - there is none! I have been disappointed and saddened for the players that after the final game its just "turn in your gear" "see you later". With players often jumping in their cars and driving out of Helena that night or flying out first thing the next morning. For many players this was and is their last/only shot at pro ball. I guess this is the seamy business side of the game. But it seems to me that a couple hours on Sat with the whole team together, sharing a meal or drinking a couple beers would be the least the parent organization could do, and it would do nothing but promote a little goodwill.

EDIT -- Sorry, I'm working on splitting this topic.

EDIT 2 -- This post is from our friend MT Brew in Helena, as I hope that's still clear. -- Jim

the teams find discount apartments through apartment complexes that are generally furnished and affordable. I also thought they provided a small (very small) living stipend, but I could be wrong. Generally, team trainers help make sure their players have places to stay, at least in the organization I have experience with

I have been busy at work, and just discovered this thread, but for the record, I don't brag about being a host family. I consider it a privilege to get to know some of these kids. But just like everything else that gets spoken about on this board, sometimes all of us talk before we know who we are talking to. The players I did host family duty for had air mattresses, a king size bed (which I purchased when we had a 6' 10" player), a sofa, a furnished kitchen in every way, linens, microwaves, televisions, cleaning supplies, and anything else they asked for was provided. I have not had use of my garage because I store items for my players there each year so that my stuff doesn't go into the "garage". We spent large sums of my families income to show up for games to support our players and see to it that they had a road bag each and every time they went on the road that would help them save their meal money for actual meals. I put my heart, soul, blood sweat and tears into this deal. I clean houses after they leave town in the fall, I find apartments/houses, and for the last 2 years had to pay deposits until the guys get paid. I take great offense to the personal attack here. I do agree at times that the overall program here is not equal top to bottom, and that not all host families do as I do. I am sorry if I said something that was negative that didn't sit well with the original poster here, but I still have conversations almost daily with our player from this year, so I think I did a good job for him here in Charleston. Sorry about your own experience but perhaps during the season when the guys weren't getting the help they needed might have been a better time to voice your complaint. And for the record, I do know how hard it is for these players...I spent the night at the park till midnite the nite one got traded to the indians and his buddies all went on a road trip that nite, I followed him to Lake County to see him play, I stored his vehicle at my house for 2 months until he could get back for it. I don't know where all the negativity towards me came from, but perhaps you should drop me a note and I'll be happy to discuss anything I have ever said on this board.

One question I have is how one becomes a host family? I live in the Fox Valley and have tried to research it a little bit, but haven't really found anything. Are the T-Rats even looking for Host Families or do they already have enough? My girlfriend and I share a house in a really nice quiet neighborhood and we have an extra bedroom that doesn't get any use at all. We tried letting the dog use it as his own bedroom, but he prefers to sleep in the same room as us. If the T-Rats needed Host Families, I'd seriously consider volunteering. Anyone have any info?

At least here in WV, the players do not live with the host families. Our role is one of surrogate parent, or whatever the player needs. As for what we have done for our players.....we meet them when they come to town, do research on apartments/houses that might be available. Show them housing, assist with getting utilities connected and helping them get settled. We have accumulated enough furniture/furnishings from family and friends to basically set them up a house. They have air mattresses, a king size bed (we bought to for a 6' 10" pitcher we had), sofa, table and chairs, all the kitchenware and linens they would need, a recliner, etc. We often provide transportation as is necessary because many of them don't have their cars when they arrive. Our most important task during the season is showing up at the games and providing support. Some players like to know there is an interested party in the stands, that won't ask them for bats/balls/hats gloves etc. It amazes me how much the fans ask for, and these guys generally give up. Of course I'd be telling a lie if I said my 7 yr old son doesn't have a nice memorabilia collection. Also during the season we provide a "road bag" of snak food and drinks when they leave for a road trip. These guys usually have very limited meal money when on the road, and things in our players road bags included lunch meat and sub buns and condiments, beef jerky, chips and candy as requested, granola bars, peanuts, pub mix, gatorade, water and soda (usually mtn dew). We had two players this year and it usually took a duffle bag and a cooler to arm our guys for an 8 day road trip. This takes a lot of pressure off their food money when they spend 10 hrs on a bus. We probably went overboard, but it was always appreciated. At season end we clean housing and help return any borrowed items....and trust me, cleaning up after 20 year old guys is true blood sweat and tears. It is as if you are their family away from home. On the other hand, some players we have hosted wanted nothing more than a road bag and a word or two after the game. These guys are all different and all want/like differeing amounts of involvement. While I understand not all host parents due what we do, it is a very rewarding thing for my family, and gives my wife and daughter interests at the park as well as myself and my son. We took a road trip to Carolina to meet with some of our former guys who were with Huntsville this year, and made road trip to Lake County to watch one of ours traded to Cleveland....it makes us a baseball family, and we meet a lot of nice young men! It is an important function for some of the guys, but maybe not all.

As the WV Host Parent Coordinator - I started early before we know who was even coming to Charleston.
In March I started trying to get information on apartments and information for the players. Before they even left Arizona I had emailed a listing of apartments to the Trainer to hand out so that they could do some calling before they came. I only sent information on areas that close to the park so if they did not have a car they could walk. It is the WV Power Front Office who determines the 3 nights in the local hotel. We have alot of construction going on the local highway and power plant so alot of the short term apartments were taken. I was driving players around for the two days they had time looking at places. Then we gave a listing of additional contacts here when they arrived. There just did not seem to be many apartments available this year. We now have a connection with an apartment complex within walking distance to the park for the next season. As a host family I moved items out of the warehouse which has been sold by the person who was letting us use it free of charge. So all items loaned out have been moved into other peoples garages. I cleaned a rental house after the season and moved things that the boys left. We have had players live with families but there been bad situations. None with the Brewers that I know of . Everyone who is a Host family here in Charleston is a volunteer and they do it to help out the guys who in most cases it is their first trip to West Virginia. Sunglasses I am sorry that your son had a bad experience with his host family. We try to have events for the players with food after games so it is not the same old ballpark leftovers. Road bags and extra meals brought and put in refrigerators while they are on the road if we are able.

Archived