Brewer Fanatic

Where to get a good deal on a shotgun? (for hunting)

The Active 33

I'm looking into getting a shotgun. I heard the Remington 870 is a good value. Any ideas on where to get a good price? I heard Wal-Mart sells them, but don't know if that's the best way to go. Thanks

edited thread title after I had a heart attack upon initial reading--pitchleague

I would try budsguns.com. I have not been there for a long time but they had great prices in the past. Whatever you do, if you get a good price take it to Gander Mountain. They will either meet or beat the price. I traditionally would rather buy a gun from a big place like that as they are easier to work with if there is a problem...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I can also attest that 870's are a great gun.

For cheap guns I would honestly suggest going with a used gun. For the most part, nothing really can go wrong with a gun.

I bought a Remington Wingmaster TC Trap from a gun show in Waukesha for $350. After contacting Remington I found out it was manufactured in 1971 and is still in absolute perfect condition. I see this gun regularly go for 500-600 in online auctions.

I would say either a local gun shops used supplies or a gun show that comes to town.

If you want new, there really aren't too many deals that differ from place to place. Most stores don't allow coupons or any other promotional offers on firearms.

You can, however; get a 30$ mail in rebate right now if you purchase a new one. http://www.remington.com/...08_load_up_on_savings.asp

The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?
I prefer to call it a boom stick.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"edited thread title after I had a heart attack upon initial reading--pitchleague "

Huh?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I thought that was rather ridiculous as well.

Shotguns are bought for many reasons aside from hunting, -- trap shooting, zombie defense, bank-robbing, tree pruning... a lot of people like my old man buy and sell them for collecting purposes....

I hope your heart attack was not severe.

The Remington 870 is a good shotgun. A few people in my family use them. I assume you'll be using it to hunt feral cats in Minnesota.

If you're looking for a new one, periodically check the prices at Gander Mountain, Dicks, Fleet Farm, etc. and wait til' one of them inevitably puts them on sale for deer season.

Shotguns are bought for many reasons aside from hunting, -- trap shooting, zombie defense, bank-robbing, tree pruning...
I thought we determined back in April that bats and nail guns were the tools of choice for zombie defense.

(Sorry to derail. That's still one of my all-time favorite threads on this site.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

First things first. What will you primarily be hunting with this shotgun? I have an old 870 wingmaster that works great for upland bird hunting, but since it only shoots 2 3/4" shells it's not optimal for hunting turkeys or waterfowl. WalMart has been decent in the past selling Mossberg shotguns that shoot up to 3 1/2" shells.

thread title originally read "Where to get a good deal on a gun?" Maybe it was my state of mind or the crime shows on television that I watch but my first thought was not about hunting.

Sorry that I offended anyone for making a thread title a little more clear.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

As long as we're talking about guns. I've been thinking about getting a new gun for hunting this season. I only go out for deer hunting. I've used my old man's Savage 30.06 for most of the last 10 years or so, but I'm looking to get something for my own. Any recommendations? I pretty much exclusively walk through the woods on drives (at 23 I'm far down on the age scale in our crew, no posting for me) so something a little lighter might be better.

Where would I get a good price? What should I be looking for?

I'm not all that informed on guns, so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ok guys. I'm going to try to give you what limited information I have.

The Active 33: For what your going to use it for, a Remington 870 that only shoots 2 3/4" inch shells would last you a lifetime. I say the 2 3/4" chamber just cause it will more than likely be cheaper than something that shoots 3" or 3 1/2" shells.

fortheloveofweeks: When it comes to rifles there are so many intangables that come into play. IE: Will you sit or walk? Will you ever hunt anything bigger than a whitetail? I'm going to assume that your walking alot and will mainly be hunting whitetails with it for most of your life. If your looking for a nice light rifle, look for something with a synthetic stock. Some calibers i would consider are .270, .280 or 30.06. Also if your walking make sure you have open sites on your rifle.

As to where to find good used guns, check around. Gander mountain, Scheels or your local hardware store. Many small towns have little gun shops that will sell other peoples guns on consignment. My local gun shop is a sewing/gun shop. Classified ads in the paper are good to check also.

If you find something and your not sure feel free to pm me.

I don't know a whole lot about guns but want a decent one without spending a lot.

The nice thing about an 870, is that there is not a lot to be worried about --

For the most part, nothing really can go wrong with a gun.

Make sure you check the barrel on an older gun -- for corrosion -- you can tell when a gun has been taken care of though.

Some calibers i would consider are .270, .280 or 30.06.

I would tend to go .270 -- especially if you are walking a lot -- and are not hunting moose or estrada-like creatures.

Definitely walking primarily, and no plans to hunt anything bigger than whitetail any time in the near future. I was thinking .270 as well. I'll have to start looking around. How long does it take to purchase a gun? I mean, what kinds of checks and stuff will I expect to wait on?

"estrada-like creatures."

That's a moving target that I'm certain I could hit.

Just another tidbit about being a mobile hunter. I would also consider something like the old fashioned 30-30. I have a 32 Winchester Special that I only bring out on drive days because it does not weigh all that much and it has open sights (Weaver side scope). Truely, it is the perfect walking/marsh driving gun in my opinion.

Just my $.02

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Just another tidbit about being a mobile hunter. I would also consider something like the old fashioned 30-30. I have a 32 Winchester Special that I only bring out on drive days because it does not weigh all that much and it has open sights (Weaver side scope). Truely, it is the perfect walking/marsh driving gun in my opinion.

Just my $.02

I grew up on the 30-30 and swear by it to this day. It's a wonderful walking gun, truly, one of the best ever made. It's only downfall is the bulletdrop after 150 yds, but really, if you are doing a drive or just stalking, you probably aren't going to be shooting that far anyways.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived