Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Fantasy Camp (Maybe OT?)

razzzorsharp

Hey Razzzor...

I was there twice in '96 and '97, shortly after I turned 30. I think me and my buddy were the youngest two, as most guys seemed to be in there 40s-60s, although there was one guy who was 70-something.

It was one (actually two) of the best times in my life.

Coaches when I was there included Robin Yount, Gorman Thomas, Charlie Moore, Rollie Fingers, Bert Campaneris, Mike Hegan and Danny Walton. My most vivid memories are spending a good 30-45 minutes at lunch one day just talking with Yount over a brat and beer; I'm sure I was a giddy as a school girl as I can't remember what in the hell we talked about. We also spent a few nights at the bars with Thomas. Good times. We even managed to play some baseball along the way.

Our routine was: arrive Sunday with a reception that night. Monday was skill stations and evaluations, then the coaches would draft the teams Monday night. Hegan was my coach both years. Tuesday was: Kangaroo Court first thing, stretching, morning game, lunch, afternoon game, hot tub, happy hour, dinner, bar. Repeat Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. The championship game was Friday afternoon. Saturday was the day when the campers played against the pros; I got a hit off Kevin Kobel (anyone remember him?), struck out against Fingers, and robbed Thomas of a hit with an ole snare at first. Saturday night was the awards ceremony.

Man, now I can't wait to go back myself. I better do it soon before I get fatter and even more out of shape.

Not to make you feel pressed for time, razzz, but this was part of an email we got from the Brewers this morning:

REGISTER FOR BREWERS FANTASY CAMP

HURRY - FEWER THAN 15 ROSTER SPOTS REMAIN

Step on the field with Brewers legends and live the big

league dream!

Join us February 1-8, at Maryvale Park, the Spring Training

facility and home of the Milwaukee Brewers in Phoenix,

Arizona, for Brewers Fantasy Camp. The complete Fantasy

Camp package includes airfare, hotel accommodations, an

authentic Brewers uniform, instruction and coaching from

Brewers legends and more, all for only $4,199. Visit

brewers.com/fantasycamp for details.

Coaches tentatively scheduled to participate in this year's

Brewers Fantasy Camp include: Dale Sveum, Cecil Cooper,

Gorman Thomas, Moose Haas, Jerry Augustine, Pat Listach,

Juan Nieves, Chris Bosio, Mike Fetters and Jeff Cirillo!

CALL 262-679-3612 OR

REGISTER NOW AT BREWERS.COM >>

http://link.mlblists.com/...ource=ed-2111119-55426403

That's right, Mike Fetters!

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

yeah, I believe so. I inquired a few years ago about doing the camp without the hotel (since I live nearby) and it was still a hefty price but they cut a few hundred off the total, as well as making me feel about 3-inches tall, stating something along the lines of, "sure you can stay at home but then you'll miss out on all the camaraderie of the after hours activities. Why would you do that?" to which I wanted to respond with, "why couldn't I still go out the bars with Gorman Thomas and have dinner with the players but just stay at home to save on a hotel room?" but I didn't.

Needless to say, I haven't done the camp yet. But it's on my Christmas wish list for some year (sooner than later, I hope.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Does that $4,199 include plane ticket there and back as well as a place to stay and some food and drink?
$4,199?! I didn't look at that. We booked our own air and got some other Brewer sponsor discounts in my years, spent less than a $1,500. The times, they-are-a-changin'.

They should really offer a budget fantasy camp...one that is held during the winter somewhere in the upper midwest, rather than in Arizona, and one that features such Brewer greats as Bronswell Patrick, Joe Winkelsas, Jeff Juden, Willie Lozado, and Ron Rightnowar. That one would be more in my price range.

Maybe BF.net softball should offer a fantasy camp. I'll gladly lend my "coaching" talents for a cheaper price of attendance http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

$1500 would probably be worth it. $4200 is crazy if you ask me. I would much rather go on a family vacation than sit in a bar with some old ball players who are being paid to hang out with you.

That might change if it was Ted Williams, Mantle, Mays, etc. Not for Thomas, Cirillo, Cooper, etc.

• 2 months later...
Anyone plan on going to fantasy camp this year (2009)?? If so, I was wondering if anyone received their roster of former players that will be there? I went a few years ago and it was a blast. I'm always curious to see which players they get each year. Cecil Cooper was my coach, but I wouldn't think he'd be there now that he's with the Astros.

Archived