Brewer Fanatic

Proposal: Fielder to Seattle for Beltre+?

Brad Nelson makes a fair amount of sense for the Mariners. Looking at the fresh ZiPs projections for the Mariners, Nelson would have the 2nd highest slugging % for 1B/DH after Branyan, meaning he would be a candidate to be a starting player for them. He's not a large upgrade over a couple of the guys they have, but I would rather have the next couple of years of Nelson than players like Craig Wilson or Jose Vidro. I wouldn't expect the Mariners to give up much for Nelson, but they would likely be a better team for having him.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prince for Bedard and Putz could do it for me.
I would think we could get much, much more than that for Prince. Putz is good, but missed a huge chunk of the year last year as did Bedard. I thought I had heard rumblings that Bedard could be a non-tender candidate even. If Prince goes, I would think that one of Clement, Felix or Brandon Morrow would have to come back.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Perhaps the most interesting part of that article:

First baseman Prince Fielder earned $670,000 this past season, but he is now arbitration eligible and stands to see his salary skyrocket beyond $6 million. The Brewers have quietly let word get around baseball that they might be willing to part with the left-handed slugger.

That is clearly the biggest news, even though we've heard that rumor before. I think Melvin really wants to get Fielders fat butt out of here before he gets even fatter and his value drops even more. It would be rediculous to pay him what he going to get in arbitration when his value in wins is so low to this team because of his defense.

I think it will help Fielders value that his name is big enough nationally that he's the kind of aquisition that would create a serious buzz for a team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

It would be rediculous to pay him what he going to get in arbitration when his value in wins is so low to this team because of his defense.

I don't think it would be ridiculous. I think he's a very good bet to hit more HR in 2009, and his plate discipline appeared to improve all throughout 2008. His defense really can't get much worse (honestly through dumb luck he could be a decent tick better in '09), and I think his offense should be expected to improve -- if only slightly -- as he matures beyond a very young age of 24. The weight & conditioning is going to be a major factor, though. If he shows up for 2009 in even worse shape... yikes.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

From the Seattle Times http://blog.seattletimes...._to_set_closers_mark.html

Possible Brewers' interest in a larger deal with names thrown out like Putz and Morrow interesting the Brewers.

From the article

The Brewers, as we've mentioned before. desperately need starting and bullpen help and would be interested in a Putz deal. But that could come, I'm told, as part of a larger package. The Brewers have a ton of bats (literally) that could be moved in first baseman Prince Fielder, shortstop J.J. Hardy, Class AAA third baseman Mat Gamel, minor league shortstop Alcides Escobar and outfield prospects Lorenzo Cain and Cole Gillespie.

But as I said, that looks like it would be all part of a larger, multiple-player deal. The Brewers like many of Seattle's starting pitchers as well, with Brandon Morrow topping the list. Anyhow, right now, it's all just a concept. But it's one worth keeping an eye on.

I would be very interested in Morrow and Putz, if we could someone get them w/o giving up any of our current MLB roster (atleast the important guys) I would be very happy. I think I would be more than fine parting with Gamel if it meant getting Morrow & Putz back

The Mariner's have no use for Fielder with Clement about ready. And Fielder is gone in three years while it will take at least one for the Mariners to steady themselves, especially if they trade Morrow. And if the Tigers are offering Joyce for Putz Fielder is nowhere near enough for Morrow and Putz.

Rotoworld summarized Phillips comments and thinks Putz/Morrow would be what we want for Fielder, but they think that's a bit much. However, I have to believe that JZ would want to "give up more" as the main parts of the deal so that he can get like two prospects/nuggets (Brewer and Gindl maybe???).

Also, if salaries are similar, any chance we can add in Suppan going there and Washburn going here? Is that essentially as wash, non pun intended?

They fixed their mistake already:

• The Mariners need a power hitter. The Brewers need a closer. There is speculation that the two teams are discussing a package involving J.J. Putz and Prince Fielder.

It's too much to ask ESPN to realize that Prince isn't Cecil, apparently.

Rotoworld summarized Phillips comments and thinks Putz/Morrow would be what we want for Fielder, but they think that's a bit much. However, I have to believe that JZ would want to "give up more" as the main parts of the deal so that he can get like two prospects/nuggets (Brewer and Gindl maybe???).

Also, if salaries are similar, any chance we can add in Suppan going there and Washburn going here? Is that essentially as wash, non pun intended?

Washburn is a slightly better pitcher is signed for only $10m and only for 2009. So such a swap isn't likely.

The guy wasn't saying it'd be a 1-for-1. He said the Brewers are looking for pitching and the Mariners are looking for power. Each side has what the other needs. It might have the makings of a match. Putz might be expendable. The Brewers might be willing to move Fielder if all the planets line up right in the deal. Maybe they'd be involved. The guy also mentioned Brad Nelson. It was clearly speculation but more grounded than some of the wild ideas getting tossed at us from Vegas right now.

Plenty of kick-butt pitching from Seattle for Fielder & maybe something more seems to have some decent logic to it, although it also has some holes. Personally, I could see this more than some of the other favorite names tossed out on this site. But who really knows?

Archived