Brewer Fanatic

Proposal: Fielder to Seattle for Beltre+?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would do Prince, Gillespie, and Periard for Beltre, Morrow, and Putz. They are trying to get rid of Putz and Beltre's salary and Morrow has got to be one of the most promising young SP in the game. I think I would be comfortable putting Brad Nelson 1st to start the year if we do trade Fielder. The downgrade from Fielder to Nelson would be far less than the upgrade from Hall to Beltre, Torres to Putz, and a #5 to Morrow. Putz also had some injury issues this year, may be an opportunity to buy low on him.

I think I would be comfortable putting Brad Nelson 1st to start the year if we do trade Fielder. The downgrade from Fielder to Nelson would be far less than the upgrade from Hall to Beltre, Torres to Putz, and a #5 to Morrow. Putz also had some injury issues this year, may be an opportunity to buy low on him.

I'd wager you could find a productive, veteran 1B on the cheap. Swisher & Johnson are 2 examples. Hall for Swisher would make sense if your trade proposal actually happened.

I would do Prince, Gillespie, and Periard for Beltre, Morrow, and Putz. They are trying to get rid of Putz and Beltre's salary and Morrow has got to be one of the most promising young SP in the game. I think I would be comfortable putting Brad Nelson 1st to start the year if we do trade Fielder. The downgrade from Fielder to Nelson would be far less than the upgrade from Hall to Beltre, Torres to Putz, and a #5 to Morrow. Putz also had some injury issues this year, may be an opportunity to buy low on him.
A little too much for that crop, IMO. Putz is coming off of an injury, Beltre is on the downside (although a great fielder), and Morrow is young. I would do Fielder and maybe Periard and toss in Palmisano or somthing but including Gillespie rubs me the wrong way.

For what it's worth, I would rather see Fielder go to Seattle than most teams though....

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know how good Beltre really is as he has only had 1 really good year back in 2004 but if he is an upgrade over Hall I am all for it.

Jonathan Sanchez is available. What about trading Hall to the Giants for Sanchez and than packaging Sanchez or Villanueva with a minor leaguer for Beltre.

Jonathan Sanchez is available. What about trading Hall to the Giants for Sanchez and than packaging Sanchez or Villanueva with a minor leaguer for Beltre.
That won't work since the Giants want Hardy for Sanchez.

I dont know how good Beltre really is as he has only had 1 really good year back in 2004 but if he is an upgrade over Hall I am all for it.

Beltre is awesome. Best gloveman at 3B in the bigs (imho), and a .800+ OPS hitter outside of Safeco. Career road OPS of .834

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

plus, we'd only have him on a 1 year deal so we get the walk year benefits that produced his freakish 2004. I can't imagine we'd have to give up much to get him if we take on all the salary. I think this makes all the sense in the world given our problems at 3rd, hopefully Melvin will at least give Jack a call and ask about him.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Yeah -- the fact that he's in his walk year might hold his value down a tad in terms of the asking price, and honestly with Gamel on the way he might be great as a placeholder that would actually improve our team instead of just keeping a seat warm.

plus, we'd only have him on a 1 year deal so we get the walk year benefits that produced his freakish 2004. I can't imagine we'd have to give up much to get him if we take on all the salary. I think this makes all the sense in the world given our problems at 3rd, hopefully Melvin will at least give Jack a call and ask about him.
I would seriously love a Beltre/Hardy left side of the infield and some combination of Hart, Beltre, Braun, and Fielder is certianly a formidable 3-6. It all depends on what the Mariners would want. They are also shopping Putz so I wonder if a Hall, Gillespie, Brewer for Putz & Beltre would work if we take on all salary? If the Crew were to do that I would imagine that Cameron/Sheets would probably be good as gone and it certianly doesn't help the rotation out.

I'd like Beltre, too. I would think he'd at least hit .275 with 25+ HRs. Maybe we can pry Putz away in the same deal?

What role does Hall play on this team if we acquire a full time third baseman. Super utility guy again? Or do we trade him for salary relief and not much more?

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

Does anyone have any ideas on what the Mariners would want (and realistically get) for Beltre? Are they rebuilding or do they think they can compete? They do have a couple of pieces that would fit in well with the Brewers.

It looks like they could use some OF help, 1B/DH help, and ultimately 3B help. Salary would also be an issue with the Brewers most likely wanting to send some salary back their way (i.e. Hall or Suppan).

I can't see them dealing either Felix or Morrow, so that'd take Fielder and Hardy out of the equation. Hart would make sense for them, but would you want to deal Hart plus something worthwhile for Beltre and Putz?

Would Beltre and Putz for Hall, Aguilar, Gindl/Gilespie, a SP prospect not named Jeffress be in the ballpark? It'd still leave the Brewers looking for SP, but the bullpen and 3B would be taken care of.

I'd like Beltre, too. I would think he'd at least hit .275 with 25+ HRs. Maybe we can pry Putz away in the same deal?

What role does Hall play on this team if we acquire a full time third baseman. Super utility guy again? Or do we trade him for salary relief and not much more?

If you're talking Putz & Beltre, I think the asking price would probably include Fielder/Gamel/Escobar/Parra/Yo. Obviously not all of those, but I'm not sure that trading any one of those guys is the right kind of deal to make right now.

Who knows what role Hall really would have, but super-utility guy sounds about right. Only problem there is that our 3B, SS & 2B are all righties, so many of the ABs for Hall would come against RHP, which is obviously a bad idea. That contract really screwed us over. Criminy. $6.8M for '09 & $8.4M for '10. Thank god the '11 year ($9.25M) is a club option. Those were some expensive home runs back in 2006.

Would Beltre and Putz for Hall, Aguilar, Gindl/Gilespie, a SP prospect not named Jeffress be in the ballpark? It'd still leave the Brewers looking for SP, but the bullpen and 3B would be taken care of.

I assume you meant Hart instead of Hall. I would definitely be on-board with sending Corey out as the main piece to net Beltre & Putz. I don't know enough about the other players you listed though. If Beltre & Putz were brought in, & Dunn could somehow get signed, wow. I'd feel very happy. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That won't work since the Giants want Hardy for Sanchez.

But the Giants are willing to trade Sanchez for Cantu which I don't see as an upgrade over Bill Hall. Plus Hall is just as versatile as Cantu, argueably more so.

I assume you meant Hart instead of Hall. I would definitely be on-board with sending Corey out as the main piece to net Beltre & Putz. I don't know enough about the other players you listed though. If Beltre & Putz were brought in, & Dunn could somehow get signed, wow. I'd feel very happy. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

No, I actually meant Hall. I included Hall to even out the salaries a bit. Perhaps I'm not valuing Putz enough, but I thought 6 years of Aguiliar and 6 years of Periard/Anundsen/Braddock... would be enough for 2 years of Putz. But then again, Hall and Gilespie/Gindl might not be enough for Beltre. Who knows, I guess that's why I asked.

I think I would do a Beltre/Felix Hernandez for Fielder/Suppan Swap, I don't think we need the prospects.

But I agree with you 100% there is no reason to get rid of Fielder right now. He is our best offensive weapon and coming off a down year. If the Brewers decide to move him in the next 3 seasons it should be because Melvin couldn't believe the deal that was offered. Not because he wanted to experiment with the lineup a bit.

Perhaps the most interesting part of that article:

First baseman Prince Fielder earned $670,000 this past season, but he is now arbitration eligible and stands to see his salary skyrocket beyond $6 million. The Brewers have quietly let word get around baseball that they might be willing to part with the left-handed slugger.

Archived