Brewer Fanatic

Can/Will AEscobar lead off?

rousieboy
It's not that striking out is that bad, but the fact is that Weeks is too aggressive of a hitter to be in the leadoff role. He's not the kind of hitter that tries to find anyway to get on base. I'd rather have Weeks down in the order so he can swing away more and use his power.
Too aggressive? The guy takes a ton of pitches and has one of the best walk rates on the team.

The only thing Weeks didn't do well on offense is hit for average. That isn't small, but if he hits for a better average his SLG would go up as well.

Edit: If Weeks had 7 more hits this season his line changes to .248/.354/.413/.767. That's 7 singles, no extra base hits. The fact is he didn't, but he only needs minimal improvement to go from average to top 10.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

but the fact is that Weeks is too aggressive of a hitter to be in the leadoff role.
How so? Weeks was 10th in the entire NL in Pitches per Plate Appearance. That means only 9 players in the National League saw more pitches per plate appearance than Rickie. That's pretty patient if you ask me.

link

Weeks is also perenially among the best hitters in baseball at getting hit by a ton of pitches. Really, the only perspective from which it makes sense to say he isn't the sort of hitter who "tries to find any way to get on base" is if you absolutely require your leadoff hitter to be the sort of guy who tries to bunt for base hits all the time.

There just aren't that many Brett Butler types in the big leagues today. And most guys that approximate that type really sorta stink.

Next year if Escobar is starting, he has to be in either the 7th or 8th spot in my opinion. Escobar next year would most likely be one of our worst starters as far as offense goes, so if he is leading off you are giving him more at-bats then you need to. Also the leadoff hitter is generally a guy that can get on base alot. Escobar hits for a good average, but his walk rate is bad, so unless he is hitting .300 he will not be getting on-base at a great clip.

Down the road, I believe Escobar will be a very good hitter. Once he gets his walk rate, and power numbers up, he will be a good lead-off, or #2 hitter. I should also note that Escobar did take a step forward in walks, taking 31 free passes, the most of his career, and his power numbers hitting 8 homeruns, more than he did in all of his other years combined.

How so? Weeks was 10th in the entire NL in Pitches per Plate Appearance. That means only 9 players in the National League saw more pitches per plate appearance than Rickie. That's pretty patient if you ask me.
His nature is to be aggressive since he's been a 3 hole hitter his whole career before coming to the Bigs. He's taking more pitches now being in the leadoff spot and we are taking him out of his nature which is to be aggressive. Weeks just isn't a good fit in the leadoff spot.

I believe Escobar will begin 2009 in AAA, and be a midseason call-up. I expect him to be in Milwaukee in June, but the only way I could see him leading off next year is late in the season, out of desperation, much like Cameron was at the end of 2008.

Archived