Brewer Fanatic

Can/Will AEscobar lead off?

rousieboy

If we start Escobar at SS for some weird reason he'd probably be best off batting 8th since he would likely be worse than Kendall.

He might lead off for us late 2010 or in 2011 though, but to be a good leadoff hitter he'll have to take more walks than he has in the minors so far.

The importance of a leadoff hitter is exaggerated. Look at the teams left in the playoffs. There's good OBP but no basestealing, there's bad OBP and good basestealing and there's barely above league average OBP and very good basestealing. There isn't one leadoff hitter that is very good at OBP and a very good basestealer. Teams just need good players. If you have a guy that works well in the leadoff role, obviously you use them there, but it's not a need that needs to be filled to have a successful team.

I have to echo kramnoj's sentiments regarding a leadoff hitters. Why is so much emphasis placed on the leadoff hitter, yet it's OK to have a terrible batter in the 2 hole? A single/bunt/RBI single strategy is largely a losing one in today's game, so it's time to stop constructing lineups like it's 1905.

Ah, yes. The question of 2009. Who will leadoff for the Brewers? Well they really have no good options. Weeks needs to swing away more and strikes out too much to leadoff. Hart's OBP sucks. Nobody really makes sense except Escobar if he could sustain a .340 OBP because that's where his contact bat would make the most sense in the lineup. So if Escobar is good enough to get that kind of an OBP, then sign me up. Otherwise, who the hell knows.

Well they really have no good options. Weeks needs to swing away more and strikes out too much to leadoff.

I don't understand this thinking. If you hate strikeouts, you hate strikeouts no matter when they happen in the lineup. But I would think that strikeouts have the lowest impact in the leadoff role. A strikeout means you saw at least 3 pitches, and probably more, so you have the benefit of making the pitcher show his stuff, like announcers like to talk about. Also, if you are batting leadoff and nobody is on base, there is no argument that a strikeout is worse than a regular out, because the hitter failed to advance a non-existent runner.

So you're saying Weeks is a good leadoff hitter?
Well, that's complicated. He has been a good leadoff hitter. This past year, he wasn't good. But that's not really what I questioned.

I asked a question, because I was curious about the answer. I've seen other people say that they don't like strikeouts in the leadoff position (some have said the same thing about Cameron in the leadoff role). I'm just trying to understand the reason people think that.

Archived